Alright my brotherz

Felix58

So after 3 months of crazy billz i can finally get me a new mobo and reading my last post ppl said the good one to go wit is the
EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 X58 3-Way SLI Core i7 Motherboard with Tri-Channel DDR3 and Tuning Utility

now i have ddr 2 ram not ddr 3 will everything still be ok?
cant remember the processor off the top of my head (at work lol) but would i have to pick one that fits the old cpu or are they mostly universal (the old cpu is a intel not amd and a gforce uber card lol
leme knoz

No you need DDR3 RAM and you need to make sure you processor is a socket LGA 1366. Core 2 Dou or Core 2 Quad wouldn't work with that board.

ojh and should i go with windows 7 or stick to xp pro?
i am skiping vista... we all know it was a scam lol

ok lets say its a core duo is it worth upgradeing to quad playing 2142 and cod4?
maybe i should wait till i'm home and post the specs right lulz
but dam i have no comp access at home = (
meh i'll post tommoro

dam had it really been 2 years i been hangin out with yall... wowzauce

oh and on the board i got now the led read something that said general cmos failure... and it wont boot into bios.. think its the mobo?

Never tried Windows 7 but I have heard only good things so far. If your just playing BF2142 and CoD4 I wouldn't bother upgrading to a Quad Core unless you have a really sluggish Dual Core.

CMOS failure is a corrupted bios, or faulty bios chip. Either way, it needs to go back to the MB manufacturer for replacement/repairs unless you want to void the warranty and install a replacement bios chip yourself that can be bought as an aftermarket item.

Constant sound problems with Windows 7; I believe sixer has some sound issues too.

Sixer, I believe they released a new version of the drivers for your sound card, specifically for Windows 7 64 bit.

Soulzz, I don't want to hijack his thread, but I'll take a look.

what does the bios chip look like and how cheep?
mainly how easy is it to reinstall?
the computer is a 07' alienware so i dont think the mb warentee is still in effect

what does the bios chip look like and how cheep?
mainly how easy is it to reinstall?
the computer is a 07' alienware so i dont think the mb warentee is still in effect
That depends on who you purchase from. There's a company run on ebay that sells them for about $15.00 or others like http://www.biosman.com/replacement.htm that cost $27-28.00 for the chip.

Replacing them is moderately difficult:
1.you will need a special tool to remove the damn thing.
2. you need to be careful not to break or bend the chip when installing it.

Have you tried updating the bios from Alienware first? If you can set up a CD/DVD or USB memory stick as a bootable object you should be able to download the most current bios, on another computer obviously, and then boot from your media (DVD, USB, etc.)

I would give that a try first since it's easier and costs nothing.

Bios chips are small-they look like this:
BIOS.jpg

upgrade to a quad core if you can Q6600 or something similar. Shouldn't be that expensive compared to other quads.

AMD is a better choice when trying to save money.

Matter of fact, AMD is better all around. Spend 200 on an AMD and you get your money's worth.

everyone says amd is godly but i dono if thats true anymore.. i had an amd when i built my last comp
but i would but its an intel board enless i get a new board
ty thou
if i do replace the board on second thought... will video/sound ect on the board now be compatible with new board/amd

Spend 200 on an AMD and you get your money's worth.

I can spend $200 on an Intel quad core I7 920 an OC it to 4.0 easy and feel like I definitely got my money's worth. Oh, wait. I already did that. Never mind.

I used to be an AMD fanboy but bang for the buck Intel is crushing them right now.

Yes, AMD is supposed to be cheaper and all, but for roughly the same money (+$50 on average) you can just get a socket 1156 mobo and a I5-750 and beat any phenom in any app, clock-per-clock.

I'm still an AMD fanboy, and would love to buy AMD again, but I have to admit - the I7 architecture PWNED them like nothing else. They're basically running a generation behind and trying to make up for it by running higher clock speeds, but it's showing more and more.

Back