Advice needed from all you car/truck experts.

Iguanidon

As most of you know, I've recently moved to Maine and my little car just struggles with the immense amounts of snow that we get in January/February. I have my older dodge ram that's back in Oregon still but I'm not enthusiastic about driving it across to Maine as that would be a huge fuel expense. ( it gets about 10 mpg and that's a 3500 mile trip )

I'm thinking about listing my truck for sale in Oregon and trading my car in for a truck here. I've liked Dodge a lot in the past but I've also driven my Folk's F350 quite a bit before I left and loved it.

Need some advice as to which route I should go.

I'm in Bangor, where are you? I drive a KIA Soul with no issue. LOL

How about a four wheel driver SuV? Sell the truck or donate it!

Those trucks have a lot of miles on them.

My dodge has about 209k on it. @Maliksky, I'll need a pickup for moving stuff/ hunting. Not gonna foul up the inside of a SUV with blood

Last edited:
That all depends on what you're using the truck for. There are pros and cons for all trucks. I can get narrowed down by use.

I need something for hauling timber/ construction supplies for remodeling the house. I also need something that will be able to pull a >26k lb rated trailer. Will need to have enough bed space for Elk Hunting. I am looking for a diesel preferrably, but I'd take gas if there weren't any affordable options for diesel. My car would be worth about 6k trade in because of age. I'd almost prefer manual over automatic.

I would go with a GMC 3500 and probally a gas engine or a ford or dodge best deal best price. I have a diesel gmc 2500 hd now but this winter has played havoc on my truck even if its plugged in been one cold ass winter and Im sure its colder in maine. Make sure you have the proper hitch, tires, axels and towing capacitys on the truck. I know you got a CDL because a 13 ton load on the trailer requires it unless you like to take chances.

I would not even think of hauling >26k lb with a pickup and do not even think you could. You may get going but you will not stop. Be careful with the older Fords. They have front end issue at about 60K which is expensive. The worst thing with the diesels in the Northeast is that the oil pan rots. My brother has had a few of them and the they all had those two problems and they take care of them. Depending on how much you pull I would lean towards a gas and not pay the diesel premium. I am on my 4th Chevy 2500HD and they all have been gas and pull 12,000lbs fine.

They can tow a lot. Have you ever driven a f-450/550? My brother also has a 2013 f-550 for his business (site work construction). It is a beast of a truck but it rides like a crap because it is so stiff.

They can tow a lot. Have you ever driven a f-450/550? My brother also has a 2013 f-550 for his business (site work construction). It is a beast of a truck but it rides like a crap because it is so stiff.

Pretty much the only ford I didn't drive was this F650:
McAllister Truck - Side.png

F-350 then and now can do 26K in a single configuration from the factory. Being right on the limit probably not the best thing in the world. F-450 would be my recommendation at that point.

I personally have never pulled anything over 11,000 pounds and don't even consider myself qualified for towing lol.

I have an F250 and in 4WD that thing is awesome in the snow, but I'll tell you like the F350 it's a rough fucking ride. If you go the F-series route you're gonna want to put about 500-1000 pounds of weight in the back. Tube sand is good in the winter, if you get stuck you can use it to help get unstuck and the extra weight will make that thing ride like a car.

Back