2142 is Back (Sort of...)

CryptKickR

I hope you guys are off to a great new year!

I stumbled across a clan the other day that has somehow revived the old 2142 server system WITH a ranks, unlocks, etc.

Now, I'm NOT in this clan nor am I affiliated with them in anyway other than playing on their server (which is great.) I've only known about them and this server for a few days now, but they seem like a decent crew and the server is definitely fun.

I don't know the technical stuff, but I do know that when GameSpy dumped a bunch of games from EA, the authentication system and everything else went with it. Well, these guys over at the Dethlok Clan found a way to run a server WITH an authentication system similar to the old EA system.

As I was looking around I found out that someone else had done this once before ( Gameranger ??? ) and it was pretty successful - but they shut it down after while due to lack of interest. So, either these guys picked up the project or they started one of their own. Either way, I've been playing over there on their server for just a few days now and it's been a blast re-visiting some of the old maps (as well as some new ones.)

If anyone is interested, it was pretty easy to set-up. I just knocked the dust off my old install CD, patched it up to 1.51, and followed the connection instructions posted on Dethlok's website. I was playing on the server in minutes.

Biggest drawback I see so far is that I had to start a brand new account since they are running a new authentication system and don't have any of EA's old data or whatever.

Well, I used to like the game, and I really loved playing it with TBG (you guys took 2142 to new levels!) And because I thought about you guys as soon as I was playing (and wishing DirtyLex was behind the stick of that UD-6 Talon) I wanted to drop by and let you guys know there was a decent place to play 2142 again if any of you ever want to re-visit the game.

All the instructions, etc., can be found here: http://dethklokclan.enjin.com/forum...14790482-bf2142-updates-maps-heres-how-you-do

Like I said, I was on the server and playing within minutes.

Hope everyone is doing well. Take care guys!

Dethlok does have this ungodly love for 2142, It's very nice seeing how they care for their baby, thanks for sharing :)

Oh yes good times :) I wonder if I am still ranked 1st in the gunship :p

Just gotta rub it in....for balls my little hoe

Another day or two on there and I've noticed a few more things...

1. They got some new maps made (dunno who made 'em, but some are cool and one or two have issues loading.)

2. The points to rank-up are set lower which equals unlocks way quicker than before.

3. They have two servers running, one Titans all the time, the other Conquest all the time.

4. Both servers alternate between co-op mode and players-only mode Not sure if it's a rotation thing or based on the number of players present or what, but I do the know the freakin "AI" (bots?) are just VICIOUS in co-op mode. I've lost my dogtags to more bots in three days than I did playing a month of normal servers back when...

5. Best of all is that you can still get all your points, badges, awards, etc., playing in co-op mode (even if you're the only one on the server.) Fair warning - earning those points isn't as easy as it sounds.

Hey Lex, if you show up, I think I'll spend the first round just watching and laughing while everyone else tries to figure out what just blew their ass across the screen. :cool: (And that old song, "Nowhere to run to, nowhere to hide..." starts playing in my head.)

They were running it through GameRanger for a bit until they figured out how to get a master server running. The population isn't bad during primetime and like CryptKicker mentioned the custom maps definitely add a little change.

Since the game can no longer be bought you can use any copy of the game and not worry about cd key checking. I believe there are some torrents with key gens linked there somewhere.

And Fast I'm sorry to say that the leaderboards had to start fresh. On the bright side at least I finally made Supreme Commander :)

Back