Website fixes and addition update

Not sure how pleased or displeased fast will be but I took the next step in making our front page work for cell phones.

By default the left sidebar goes up (ewww) the middle stays middle and the right sidebar goes down. Initially I disabled responsive on the front page. The first step was to bind the left side bar and let the right drop like it should. This allowed bringing the minimum size from 1100px down to 850px. But thats still horrible for cell phones:
oldresponsive.png

My ideal solution is that BOTH side bars go to the bottom. This would be easy with the CSS3 Flexible Block model but that would mean cutting support for IE 9. Not ready to go this far I am physically moving the div via javascript.

This way the minimum page width goes down to about 550px But here is the page top and scrolled half way and you can see both sidebars are beside each other at the bottom half now:
newresponsive2.png
newresponsive.png

You might also notice the banners go to mini now as well. This was sorta needed to make the sidebars not be so far away.

For reference here is the entire web page split in half in stock and might give an idea why we DON'T want the left side bar to go UP:
stockexample.png

Got quite a few things to do to finish this off. Next couple of days I will be fixing everything I see wrong with the responsive layout. Once thats complete I will be changing the floating Nav to a version that works at all resolutions.

Last edited:
Looks way less cluttered.

Could you add the last tf2 server on the mobile?

Yup. Don't worry about the mess that is the servers block btw. Doing 2 things about that. 1, in the next couple of days I will add a second section so its not so hard to edit. 2, In the future this will be a part of the servers list which means a little more automatic and or a little more easy to manage.

I love it, navigating the forum for threads is much easier and more fluid. Awesome job Rain!

Thread Redirects no longer error out. Thread redirects are often created when a thread is moved or one is merged into another. 2 of our plugins which were based on very very old code were causing this. I have updated the code to work around the issue. There is probably a more efficient way of making sure the controller isn't called at all on redirect threads but until then the controller checks if a thread is a redirect and returns its parent response preventing errors.

Did a tiny bit of work this morning but mainly out lining whats being worked on as well.

New Plugins/Mods

- Quick Reply is now hidden on locked threads for those who would have permission to reply in locked threads (head admins). This won't prevent replying but it might make it a bit more obvious.
- Contact Us form now support multiple destination emails. Those wishing to reach FAST for example will now be able to rather than all contact us emails going to the webmaster. The form is primarily for issues with the site but people may wish to reach out directly to the founders etc.
- The welcome PM has been brought back to link people to the application, teamspeak request, ban appeals and player reports.

- Private controls are now responsive. Doesn't quite solve the overflow on most cell phones yet. Working on a solution:
upload_2014-9-15_6-22-41.png

Theme Work in Progress
Currently redoing the entire theme from scratch to not only complete the job for once but to do it correctly. It will looks mostly the same but some changes are coming. Along with the base theme a no avatar option and vBulletin post style (horizontal postbit) will be available. The floating navigation is being completely reworked and will now work on mobile as well as 1440P/4K monitors.

Plugin Work in Progress
- Roster will soon support a section for Retired, KIA, MIA, etc. (IE Retired Founder).
- Birthday Bot that isn't fucking insane.
- Basic Chat Log Viewer
- Improve the extra navigation links plugin to support mobile, easier adding of links. Probably never going to write a proper plugin if Xenforo 2.0 is going to deprecate the need.

Obviously still have plans to improve and write some real plugins but this is the goals for the next 2 weeks.

Fantastic list Rain.

Sent by Tapatalk carrier pigeon via Nexus 5.

Great additions Rain. On Mobile one thing I miss is the "Search" section on the top right desktop view.

Great additions Rain. On Mobile one thing I miss is the "Search" section on the top right desktop view.

Yeah its a theme issue that will be resolved in the new theme. I couldn't figure out the offset they were using on mobile so I ditched it at the time. Hell I think it was a solid month before I even themed the search drop down.

Looking at it now I wonder what my problem was. But its also easier since we have a theme we are using and I am living with the in development theme everyday. So each day I can see something unfinished and work on it while using the site.

A lot of improvements are coming. Such as when I colorized the editor buttons orange I had to use their icons and it cane out bad. Switching to Font Awesome based icons which can color and scale without fault since they are vector images. One day I hope we can develop a retina friendly theme but that means all the images have to be remade from scratch.

Back