Monitor fails/Hibernate mode? Can't wake, can't power off PC

You really need to try another monitor. Windows hibernate is buggy, don't use it.

I was wondering if you have enough power from your PSU. I would think that you need at least an 800w with the change of GPU to a new card. Asus specs say :

"Power Consumption
up to 150W1 additional 6 pin PCIe power required"

Just looking at some posts and several mention that a psu in the 500 range caused problems during gameplay.

On a hardware situation, I was going to say his PSU is shit, but was trying to hold off hitting him with that. I would say he could get by with a 500w psu, but considering it's older and not a high quality Gold/Plat certified, it's probably at its max. If you pick up a new one definitely go for a 600w+.

Corsair has certified refurbished items for sale. They have a HX 650 for $69.99

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hx-ser...lus-gold-certified-modular-psu-na-refurbished

@x=FAST=x they have some M65 rgb mice for $30.and a lot of other sweet deals for anyone else.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/store/certified-refurbished

Last edited:
Well Cherry, prepare to be surprised. It happened again, this time marginally worse. Got home from work at 6, played some fallout, probably 30-45 mins and another monitor fail. Had to hard power it down from kill switch above PSU cord again, as soon as all the LED's turned off after this switch, I switched it right back on again and tried to power it on. The lights and fan came on and then it turned off again. I let it sit for 10 minutes and booted it back up just fine.

EDIT: Also this only happens after playing games for a bit. Could it be an overheating problem? OpenHardwareMonitor never records anything past an occasional spike up to 60C so I assumed it was all good.

Did you get the new AMD driver?
If yes, did you completely removed the older one, after the CPU upgrade ?
Also, what ram is this G.Skill exactly ? That brand are famous about non standard voltages, which are supported only in OC mode, and still can kill the memory controller by time.

@Cherry, you asked if I did a fresh Windows install when I put in a new motherboard and CPU? I didn't put in a new motherboard, only replaced the GPU with the GTX 960 and the CPU with the FX8320, so no I did not do a fresh windows install.

@Malik, The problem has escalated from just the monitor turning off and the PC being inactive ( it doesnt do this anymore) to an outright power shut down after 45mins-1hr playing Fallout. If it was just the original problem, I would perhaps agree but it doesn't seem to be the monitor causing this. A faulty monitor shouldn't power down my PC or cause its power button to not work, right?

@MacN8, This is what I was thinking. I went into a local PC shop where a guy opened up and he fixes crap. He thought it was the PSU as well until I told him I can play for about an hour before this happens. If the PSU wasn't adequate, wouldn't it shut down as soon as it went under load from the game?

@Sixer, I've already disabled all hibernate/sleep features and it still happened, so that isn't the problem either.

@rottenbull, Do I need new drivers from a CPU upgrade? Perhaps this is the problem... I had Soulz use TeamViewer and he removed the Catalyst control center for my old GPU.
The ram in its entirety is... 1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-

I advised against replacing of components as that's what I did and turn out I just had a bad stick of RAM. I was suggesting that he pull one stick see if it still hapoens and if does put the other stick in. process of elimination. I woulda saved some coin but at the same time now I have all the pieces for another PC to build and have for one friends come over or build and sell or just have parts incase the worst comes up no money and something take a shit

@Blitz, but since this problem only occurs during gameplay, wouldn't removing a stick of ram make PLAYING the game with half the amount of ram cause difficulty, or nah?

Fallout is more buggy than bf4.... I would be more keen blaming it for the issues at this point.

That is also a fact, Iguan. It's happened once playing BF4 as well. In any case, I got the quality PSU linked above on sale and it'll' be here Monday courtesy of my GF's accidental Amazon prime subscription. + I happened to have a gift card that amazon remembered and I didn't. More value.

I've ensured all my connections were good. Gunna pick up a new PSU. That seems to be everyone's consensus. This PSU I found is highly praised and on sale. I love sales.
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOV...&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=EVGA+Supernova+G2+700W

850W would be about 100% more than you need. Just sayin'.
my rig is a 4790K + gtx 970 + 1 HDD + 3 SSD + 16GB ram, and i'm using a Seasonic 520W Passive cooled PSU ( Platinum ). The whole rig's power consumption is about 380-400W under load, thats include fans, Liquid cooling, everything.

@Cherry, Will be sure to let you know. New PSU arrives Monday (if its UPS, likely 9pm on Monday). Interestingly I played 5 or so hours of BF4 just fine. Ofc I knocked the settings from Ultra to Low on the premise that Ultra was demanding too much power and I'd like to NOT demand more than I can give.

Well hopefully the new PSU is the fix. Is the 960 still under warranty? and who did you purchase it from?

Possibly, just talking out of my ass atm. The PSU hopefully should be the solution, if not the GPU would be next in line. Hopefully you have an old one around to test if that becomes the situation.

Well... I would have had you hook that one up prior to buying a new PSU. O well, if you have any issues once the new PSU is in, play with the old GPU in and see if it still happens, again, hopefully that will not be the case.

Back