Afternoon all,

Specs: Asus strix gtx 960 4gb
FX-8320 3.5ghx 8core (not overclocked)
GA-970A-UD3 mobo.
G.skill Ripjaws X Series 2x4GB ram
Acer G205HVbd Black 20" monitor
Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W PSU
Running Windows 7 64bit.

The system was built at the end of 2012. I just upgraded the GPU and CPU 2 days ago. I don't THINK my problem coincides with this PC upgrade, but it's possible since I don't remember when it started happening. In any case, my monitor randomly shuts off. It'll go to a black screen, and the power light on monitor goes from blue to orange and it reads no signal. What's most interesting is that nothing I do will wake it up, and holding the power button on my case will NOT turn it off. I have to go to the back of my PC case and flip the switch back there right above the power cord to cut off power. Once I do this, I can instantly reboot and it all works. Holding the main power button on the top of my case works again when not in this monitor-dead state.

What's up with this? I've monitored my temps. Everything is super normal. I idle in the 25-32C area, under a game load I sit around ~52-58C. My GPU is rated up to the 80-90C range.
I didn't think it was a problem with the monitor because of the strange problem with the power button. I've updated my drivers for my new GPU and everything has been great.

This problem has happened about 3 times now, always late at night after my PC has been on all day.
It's also never happened twice in a row. Once I kill the power in the back and boot it back up, it stays working fine until I shut it off for the night.

Thanks a lot!

Did you do the basics? Using a different monitor? Changing the cable and/or plug it into a different port on the GPU? I don't think that setup has on board graphics, but if it does, have you tried running it without the GPU? Have you verified that all your drivers are up to date including your BIOS? Have you cleaned your case lately? If not, maybe you should. Also try resetting your GPU (Remove it and put it back in). When you have done these things post back and we can get more in detail.

On a side note- Why did you go AMD for the CPU??!!??!!

Last edited:
Awh damn, I was hoping this would be an easy fix and I wouldn't have to do work.
I don't have another monitor so I can't try a different one. I only have one connection port on my GPU for a video cable. I have NOT tried replacing the cable yet (Why would this cause my PC button to not power down the PC after holding it?). I have up to date drivers on my GTX, courtesy of Geforce Experience. Case was cleaned out 2 days ago when I put in new parts.

BIOS was never updated. I didn't want to risk bricking my PC, and was told it wasn't really necessary to flash the BIOS since my mobo naturally supports the FX series CPU. I will try pulling out and replacing GPU shortly. It's such a difficult thing to troubleshoot because of how rarely it happens. Any potential fixes would likely have to wait a day or a few days to see if the problem ever reoccurs.

I also went with the FX because this build was initially a 600$ AMD budget build and I didn't want to replace the motherboard and likely the PSU if I switched the CPU over to something not AMD. I've lately been real tight on cash since buying a new car, and only upgraded in the first place b/c my job gave me a 200$ gift card for Walmart so I had to buy the GPU from there lol.

Google searches turned up the following: Bad motherboard. Apparently something about a motherboard grounding itself to the case and shorting? I don't know.
So far to attempt a fix I've switch the power settings from my control panel to turn off the timers that put my PC into sleep and hibernate mode so it should always stay awake. Not sure if this will help, but I can only try.

You wont brick your PC. I've personally never heard of anyone doing this. YES, it can happen. As with anything in life, shit happens. Since you're having issues that can be fixed with a BIOS update you need to do it. Don't listen to nay sayers, just do it. It's simple job. First off you need to check the version of your BIOS v the newest one from Gigabyte to verify you do need an update ( and I can almost guarantee you will). 1.) Download the file. 2.) depending on how your MoBo updates its BIOS you rather do A) load the file to a USB drive to update it or B) you can select the file from your PC folder. It's not a complicated process, and if your BIOS is out of date, that is more than likely causing compatibility issues.

Last edited:
Here is a link with the BIOS update version. obviously DOWNLOAD the NEWEST, the one from the top of the list ( VERSION FDe 10/07/2014). If you look at the old BIOS from 2013, it has a fix for...
  1. Modify setting compatibility of wake up timing

Sounds like a fix for your issue.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4396#bios

I'll be more than happy to assist you/walk you through it if you're still worried. Just let me know.

Sounds like it may be necessary. I know (99% certain) this never happened before upgrading my GPU and CPU.

EDIT: so going on the assumption that this problem just started happening last friday night when I upgraded my parts (because I can't remember it happening before), why would the BIOS have a problem NOW since it shipped with native support for the FX series? Shouldn't this have happened with my old Phenom II x4 965 and HD 7850?

Last edited:
Negative, manufacturers send out BIOS updates similar to NVIDIA/AMD putting out updates for GPUS. There is no real reason as to why it happens, It's just how computers work. With new products/software comes compatibility issues requiring updates. Depending on when your motherboard was manufactured it is probably running the original BIOS version. It's had 4 updates since. You're obviously running a lot of updated hardware/software then what was out in 2012. Like I said before, If you would like me to walk you through it, I'm willing to do so 100%. Just let me know.

Just a thought.. hybernate isn't worth using. Go into your power settings in control panel and turn off anything relating to the computer going into sleep or hybernation. These days with sold states there is no benefit to using sleep compared to a full power down. I've had issues with system hybernation still running fans and lights, no signal to the monitor and unresponsive to pressing the power button or periphials. I'd have to kill the power like you are doing. I think if you disable this in your power settings there is a good chance you won't have this problem.

Amd also has the cool and quiet technology that is enabled in the bios. While I don't think this is contributing to your issue, you could disable it and see if it helps.

Thanks Cheery and Iguani & Malik.
yeah I don't understand that chart you posted, but I'll definitely take your word for it.

@Cherry: Since I've just deactivated all sleep/hibernation settings last night, I'll see if it happens again. If it does, I'll take you up on that offer about sorting out my BIOS. I wasn't aware my board didn't support the FX8320 back in 2012 when I first bought it and built my original PC. I'm quite bad at technology. If it does, I'll send you a PM instead of potentially necroing this thread if you want since it could potentially not occur at all, or at least 1 or more days from now.

You probably wont see any issues if you dont put it to sleep, I do however highly recommend updating your BIOS regardless. You'll probably see a little performance increase from doing so. Maybe... again, it's not a complicated process and the benefits will be worth it. Just keep us posted either way.

Okay well that didn't take long. Was in the middle of playing Fallout, keeping an eye on temps every time I alt tab to check something on the net. GPU temp hit 62C, but mostly stayed in the 50's.
This time everything just completely powered down. It just happened, and I booted it back to reply here. It all just simply shut off.

Edit: Perhaps it's worth adding that during my time checking this, I double checked the power/sleep/hibernate settings and accidently left it in "Balanced" instead of "High performance" power plans before it randomly shut off during my gameplay.

Speaking of fallout, when I go afk for like 5+ minutes, it goes into screensaver and fucks everything up, computer wont respond and needs hard restart.

Don't leave that thing alone.

hey I just had this happened and started replacing components. turns out I had a bad stick of RAM. I pulled 2 out and boom everything running smooth again. I have yet to put any of the ram back in to figure out for sure which is the bad stick but might try and pull one and see what happens or double check that nothing got knocked loose as you were inside working

Well Cherry, prepare to be surprised. It happened again, this time marginally worse. Got home from work at 6, played some fallout, probably 30-45 mins and another monitor fail. Had to hard power it down from kill switch above PSU cord again, as soon as all the LED's turned off after this switch, I switched it right back on again and tried to power it on. The lights and fan came on and then it turned off again. I let it sit for 10 minutes and booted it back up just fine.

EDIT: Also this only happens after playing games for a bit. Could it be an overheating problem? OpenHardwareMonitor never records anything past an occasional spike up to 60C so I assumed it was all good.

Last edited:
If you're around about 3pm EST I'll go over a few other things with you when I get off work. The fact is, it can be anything. From software, overheating, bad hardware, or just something isn't seated properly. I would just like to rule out any software issue before anyone starts telling you to replace components, because the fact is, without being there in person, it's a hit or miss situation, but one route will cost $$$.

Also, when you bought this new motherboard and cpu, you did a fresh install of windows, right?

Last edited:
Back