Windows XP is still king of the operating systems

ErikStenger

After more than 18 months, it seems that Microsoft can't kill Windows XP with Windows 7.
Vole has announced that it has flogged more than 350 million Windows 7 licences, which normally would be a cause for celebration.
According to the "Windows Team Blog" the Windows 7 operating system is the fastest selling operating system of all time.
Brandon LeBlanc wrote, "The momentum we've seen and continue to see with Windows 7 is incredible."
However, other figures will be annoying the Vole. While Windows 7's market share has increased every month to 24.17 percent, its ancient OS, XP is still the King of operating systems. XP has more than half the market share at 54.39 percent.
LeBlanc insists that this is changing, with analyst firms like IDC estimating that more than 90 percent of businesses are "currently in progress with their Windows 7 migrations."
Vista has fallen to 10.56 percent of the market and sliding. Which is a relief.
Oh, and that Mac operating system still cannot manage more than 3.5 percent share of the market. This is even less than Linux and Unix which have a combined share of 6.08 percent and are widely seen as a failure on the desktop.

Windows XP is still king of the operating systems - Even if Vole sold 350 million Windows 7 licences | TechEye

External links
Windows 7 at 18 Months

L O FUCKING L. Don't take this the wrong way but....

DUH. Even microsoft knew this would happen. All you can ever do is push your marketing, features, new hardware os sales and more so to consumers then company's. In 2007 the dealership I was working for finally replaced our win2k pc's with core 2 duo machines running XP and its likely they will be running it for atleast another 5 years since the only possible reason they would ever upgrade is security.

Alot of people likely wouldn't upgrade to windows 7 they would be replacing the entire machine. Those who had trouble with Vista might own a machine better than those with XP but still bad for 7. Businesses don't go replacing machines alot and OS upgrades don't make alot of financial sense unless it is necessary for whatever purpose.

However marketshare and being king probably not the same thing either. Hard to say but even though I am still primarily on Vista and dual booting xp for development, I let go of XP as much as i love it, dual core limited etc its just done.

A lot of those "statistics" don't take into account business and leased pc accounts that still run on XP-the majority of which are ending life this summer.

In the home I think the holdouts are the ones who are very resistant to change and have no idea what a difference there is between the two. Still, I think once the business pcs get replaced we'll see those numbers change.

Rain's right too about the market-good luck finding XP any more so if you want a new PC or a new OS you'll likely need to upgrade or get a new PC. That's just how the market goes. Then again, I don't know anybody who looks to hold onto their pc for more than 2-3 years without upgrading or replacing.

Screw that... Windows 98se RULES!!!!

Yeah and some how Windows 98 third edition which is all ME was got the bad rap :( lol. I didn't have too many issues with 98SE until i got 512mb of ram and then all of a sudden too much memory wasnt enough got all kinds of issues.

Win 7 nothing more than a improved version of Vista. So far I'm happy with Win 7.

yeah don't be smoking soulzz's dingleberries now :)
A lot of offices still use XP. My school recently upgraded all their PCs to Win 7 from XP.

win 7 is much light weight than vista. No issues with it and will not upgrade to anything else unless i really have to.

win 7 is much light weight than vista. No issues with it and will not upgrade to anything else unless i really have to.

Light weight my ass. In what department the system requirements are higher and its bigger. Mind you i do argue the requirements just got changed to realistic. Pretty sure its not any lighter with in my case very minor performance increases. I know people who have had far worse performance and issues with vista then i had so some people are coming from that i am not. Dont get me wrong i like 7 its just a little overated. It has to exist thanks to the pr disaster after vista failed but new shit and xp mode aside everything else shoulda been a patch. Hopefully 8 turns out well i think im skipping 7 unless i build a new machine before 8 it just wasnt worth upgrading my current machine.

Back