Windows 7 - Lulz?

HeatSurge

Umm...

http://gizmodo.com/5330609/windows-7-review-you-can-quit-complaining-now

OK I don't get it.

So the whole review is like about how great Win7 is... and then I look at the benchmarks.

Now, I don't really give a damn about how much Vista shitted on laptops and underpowered "netbooks" or whatnot... so I glance at the "desktop" side.

So like apparently the area where Win7 excels is shutting down (and adobe CS4 by a whopping margin of less than 3%), at the expense of being SLOWER than Vista (which was already slower than XP) for other stuff? Lulz? Well, I'll make sure to shut down my Win7 (if/when I get a DUAL-BOOT with XP) often to marvel at how quickly it turns off... oh wait. I never turn off my computer.

I know what people are going to say "early build, unoptimized drivers etc..." but I'm really skeptical.

It looks like a step backwards TBH... btw it seems like you lose roughly 20% FPS compared to XP in gaming, judging from the graph.

I'll still wait for a more in-depth review of a final build by someone like PCPer or Guru3D or something... Let's hope these guys blow at benchmarking or something was wrong.

P.S. In unrelated news: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=18385

LOL "What is the expected result?
an X button"

I love it.

Meh, I've never been a fan of benchmarks. I like real world performance, like actually playing the game rather then going through a scripted time demo, etc.

Honestly, from my 2 weeks of using Windows 7 RTM, I haven't seen any of this 'slow performance' that people have said.

I had Windows 7 RC1 and my load times for 2142 were actually a lot slower then on Windows 7 RTM. For instance, it would take me about 40 seconds to load into the game on RC1. Now it takes roughly half that, a little bit faster then Vista. I'm sure it would be a bigger difference on other games, simply because 2142 isn't too polished.

I still had great performance on Vista, even better on Windows 7.

Honestly, Heat, I'd say try it for yourself. You can read all the mumbo jumbo about how great or not-so-great it is, but, until you try it for yourself, it's not going to mean much.

Keep in mind that while one reviewer may test on a Core i7 that may have some issues with one game/OS, the other reviewer may not - hence, try it for yourself ;).

I think the biggest benefit of Windows 7 for the average users is the amount of resources it uses when compared to Vista. From a gaming/productivity standpoint there is little to no advantage. But to Harry Homeowner with a 3 or 4 year old PC there might be a benefit. For us, we won't see any benefits until probably the first service pack.

I'm with Soulzz. I don't care what this fuck says with his graphs about Win7 being slower in games. I'll tell you this though-same machine, different OS and Win7 gets about 5% on average better fps than I had with XP. 3Dmark06 runs (as best my math skills allow) 1.5% slower on Win7 than XP. Everything else is much faster. Mind you, the games I've played to compare are only DX9-World in Conflict and 2142, but I've been using Win 7 exclusively since April or May and you can't get me to go back to the clunky and outdated XP.

Like Soulzz said, give it a try and see for yourself, but I have in no way seen it's slower gaming; faster yes, slower no. The benchmarks are a few hundreds points difference and that's not noticeable visually to me.

Back