@#@##$! Win7RC installation?

Well, I've made some progress.
I went back into the bios, reset to defaults-again, saved again, and turned off the pc. Then I clicked my heels twice, said a prayer to Buddha and restarted. Win7RC install disk finally booted from the disc, installed files, expanded files, and then restarted. On the next startup it stalled saying it was missing drivers for my CD/DVD drive (emulation error 00) and it would continue no further. WTF?

o_0

Wow... that sucks man.

I haven't tried to install it myself so IDK what's going on.

Make sure your RAM works right (timings and all)... you can test with memtest 86+ with a bootable CD (for at least 1/2 hour)... see "ultimate boot CD" here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I think that one has memtest86+ latest version.

Turns out my DVD player/writer took a dump tonight. It seems it was on its way out, which was probably why I was getting that stupid CD error message. Figures. I'll pick up another one tomorrow.

Wow... glad it turned out so simple.

Now we know the effects of read errors during windows installation lmfao...

I hope your file system is OK after all the shit that's been dumped on it... if you cared for preserving anything.

I just finished reinstalling Winxp-the file system was shot to shit due to the read errors. I couldn't even repair it with the installation disk after connecting an old IDE CDRW drive. That just blows. I still need to install 2142, but at least I got all the drivers, updates, and most of my software reinstalled tonight. I'll go ahead with Win7 on the SSD after I get the new DVD drive. Unfortunately, the one I had was the only one on the system. I should probably go ahead and get a simple DVD reader drive also so I'll have at least one functioning if this shit happens again. Anyway, I'll catch you guys tomorrow night.

Yeah, I've always had 2 on my computer. I just find it useful to have one that's cheap for "reading" and "game discs" and so forth and one more premium quality for "writing" exclusively. It's also nice that if the "reading" one breaks, you can still use the "dedicated writer" drive while you get a replacement.

I used to buy DVD-ROM (read only) for reading drives, but lately the prices are going insane - DVDRWs are dropping so low that economically it doesn't make sense to purchase a DVD-ROM anymore... and some manufacturers are stopping to make DVD-ROMs altogether. So I just buy a writer for a "read" drive... the difference is usually less than $5...

DVDRWs are so cheap nowadays - $20-25. I still remember the days when 4x CD-writers were $150 and felt like space technology... how far we've come. I used to go to a friend's place with a 2GB hard drive and CD blanks so he could write me CDs on his writer... lol.

Yeah, the prices are insane. It's probably due to the blue-ray reader/writers that are becoming more popular. Still, I picked up a DVD writer at Microcenter this morning for $20.00 and I ordered a better one from Newegg for $25-shipping included. I'm definitely keeping both in the system from now on. I'm just glad I had that old IDE one in a box still. Even more surprising, my motherboard actually has a (1) slot for IDE.

Wonder of wonders, Win7 is installed and running 64 version on my SSD! It took all of 10 minutes to completely install and boot into Windows. I have to tell you, shit moves fast on this SSD. There is absolutely no wait when opening programs, installing goes by so fast I can't believe it ( Just to give you an idea of how fast, Kaspersky internet suite installed in 1 min flat with actiation-on my old HD it took 7 minutes-yikes!). I haven't installed 2142 but I'll do that today and have some fun with it then. It's just nice to get it up and running now that I replaced that damn DVD drive. 075

I've heard many stories of people who try to join a PB enabled server on Windows 7 have had lots of difficulty. I will probably be installing Windows 7 today and reformat my copy of Vista 64-bit. It's getting time for me to do a reformat.

Yeah PB doesn't support Win7. You'll constantly get an API error through PB, but just dual boot with Vista and no worries.

I just played on our Suez D.C. for a bit and had no problems whatsoever. It ran like always, just loaded up faster. No PB problems, errors, etc. Win7 has an option to run the program in XP mode and that's what I did. So far, so good. The sound is way different though, I have the Soundblaster Gamer pro sound card installed and the driver is much better for Win7 than WinXP. Sounds were much fuller, surround sound was better on the headphones, and everything sounds cleaner and sharper than using this in XP.

Back