@#@##$! Win7RC installation?

sixer9682

I've downloaded the RC from MS's site, burned the ISO image, set my cd/dvd player as the disk to boot from and every single fucking time it gets to the "booting from cd" message my pc restarts.

I thought it might be a corrupt image, so I downloaded the fucker again, burned it again, even using a different img burner and I get the exact same fucking results. To say the least I'm more than a little pissed off at the whole process right now. Am I missing something here?

Without some more information, right off the top of my head I would say a driver issue. Have you verified the .iso?

that may be a upgrade you may have to overlay it on the OS you have now

I verified the .iso already. And I'm trying to install this on a new disk which has nothing on it currently so I overlaying on the current OS is not the goal since it's on a different HD.

Your doing two OS's on two separate HDD's correct?
What version are you installing? 32 or 64
What model # mobo do you have?
What is the new HDD model #?
Sounds silly, but can you "see" the HDD from the working OS or bios

[blockquote]Your doing two OS's on two separate HDD's correct?
What version are you installing? 32 or 64
What model # mobo do you have?
What is the new HDD model #?
Sounds silly, but can you "see" the HDD from the working OS or bios [/blockquote]

Yes, I've got two separate HDs. One is a SATAII Samsung 750gb that I have WinXP installed on, and the other is a G.Skill Falcon 128gb SSD.
I've tried both the 32 and the 64 versions and have the same problem with either one.
I have an EVGA X58 SLI motherboard.
The new HD model is the G.Skill Falcon 128gb SSD-MLC.
Yes, I can see the Falcon from within XP Device Manager-it shows up and is accessible like my other HD. Also, the Falcon shows in the bois as well.

If the CD/DVD is giving you trouble, I'd suggest booting it straight from a Flash Drive.

That would be great if I had a 4gb flash, which I don't have. That's why I've been trying to boot from the cd/dvd.

I downloaded it again, burned the .iso again, and now it at least gets to "press any key to boot from cd" before it reboots. Progress? I guess. I read in a forum that somebody had a similar problem and it turned out that the flash version firefox uses was causing a corruption of the download. I guess I could try downloading with IE since I always use firefox. It's an option anyway.

stick the image disc into a working PC and see if the auto play comes up.

i burned the image on a low speed (8x) and it worked just fine. the setup took a while to load but a few mouse clicks later i had the desktop up.

i installed on my last gaming pc, i deleted the beta partition and did a quick format. install went from there. i did use IE "downloader" to save the file.

Wow... this should never happen.

See if your motherboard and/or any add-in cards (such as raid cards you might have or DVD-RWs etc) have some bios upgrades.

Especially the motherboard...

This should definitely never happen.

Sorry I had to go do the Mothers Day thing with the family. Where are you at with this Sixer?
Like Roth said if you have another rig you can verify that the iso works or at least is recognizable
Drivers need to be updated especially going from XP to Win 7 (mobo, chipset, etc. basically all hardware)
Bios needs to be updated (if available)

[link=hyperlink url]http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/[/link]

There are a few problems I know of with using sata over ide, you may have to change and then switch back after install
Also if you feel like experimenting you can unplug all unneeded hardware and see if it still hangs (be careful if you attempt this though)
I have read problems about burn speed for the iso too, try at 4 or 8 times burn speed (some have even had to do the burn at 1x)

I really think it is the iso though, because you said the first two didn''t even post, the third one gets you a little further. What software are you using to mount the iso image? There are a number of freebies out there if you don't have Nero or something like it.

Freebie Iso software
[link=hyperlink url]http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm[/link]
[link=hyperlink url]http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download[/link]
[link=hyperlink url]http://www.magiciso.com/download.htm[/link]

Found this while looking further
[link=hyperlink url]http://www.sriraminhell.com/2009/01/windows-7-build-7000-installation-guide.html[/link]
Says NOT to boot from disk

For burning the iso, I can't really recommend anything more highly than imgburn.

That software just wins for DVD burning. Not sure about BR yet, but it has BR support I think... but IDK.

I had a suggestion that all USB devices might not be enabled in the bios and that this would cause that problem. I can't say for certain since I did update my bios recently, but I will check that out tonight, and yes I'll be getting a USB drive to boot from in any case. I've been using IMGburn for the disks.

Okay, I think I just realized what the problem is, and if it is I will feel like a complete and utter mouth drooling idiot. When I got the SSD I connected it to SATA O where I had previously connected the CD/DVD drive. Now the DVD drive is connected to SATA 3-due to laziness. I'm thinking, if I recall correctly, according to my motherboard's manual, the DVD needs to be connected to SATA slots 0 or 1 to be a bootable device. Does this make sense or am I grasping at straws here?

That would make sense, although I've never heard of anything like that.

Okay, this is what I recalled, but I'll have to check on it when I get home. It wasn't the physical connection, but the bios setting:

"A CD or DVD drive (ATAPI drive) must be before all hard drives in the boot order in the bios Setup in order for you to be able to boot from a bootable CD in it. It does not have to be listed first, as long as it is before all hard drives - e.g. if you have a floppy drive it should be listed first."

Sixer, if you don't mind, I'll give you a call. I'll sort it out for ya ;). Left you a voicemail btw.

Back