Will SSD's take over?

Thelus

I'm thinking SSD's will evently take over and move mechanical hard drives out of the consumer desktop and laptop. I still see though enterprise users still using mechanical drives due to longer shelf life and useage.

I think that SSD's will take over on medium to high end machines as the primary drive. Cheaper computers will continue to use the standard drives, as people buying them will not typically benefit from the speed increase (or care). Storage though, will keep the standard drives around even in the mid to high end computers.
It will still probably be a long time before a 2TB RAID 1 or 5 is affordable with SSD's. Also, I'm interested to see how the hybrids fair.

I'm running a seagate SSHD that is working really well as my backup/storage drive in my Rig. Transfer speeds are fantastic and the 1TB hybrid was about the same price as a good/excellent 128GB SSD.
Amazon.com: Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 2.5-Inch ST1000LM014: Computers & Accessories

Yes most definitely. No reason they wont. Far superior to HDD. Price will come down as it has been and does with everything.

However considering they have now developed a method to fit 1000 terabytes onto a DVD (1 petabyte!!) who knows. I still think SSD will take over due to power consumption and performance, but HDD seems to have edged out a little more room in the future.
More data storage? Here's how to fit 1,000 terabytes on a DVD

What pisses me off is the SSD industry is purposely holding back a billion dollar segment that would literally solve world wide problems at this point. Until we have another break through mechanical storage is pretty much stalled for capacity. We could have low speed SSD's around 200 bucks a Terabyte already. Once this segment advances it would overtake Mechanical in price per gigabyte and provide a solution to those who need storage and not speed.

As far as the reliability of a mechanical over an SSD. Its purely random as with any electronic device. Its true many enterprise customers do not yet trust SSDs. They can be very ubnreliable, they can also be superbly reliable. For read only operations they should outlast Mechanicals very far. For heavy write operations its probably back and forth at the moment.

I have had 3 mechanical drive failures in 10 years out of around 40 drives. Some of the drives I use today are 5+ years old. As I say you can buy a crate and have everyone of them fail in a year or you can buy a crate and have half of them work for a decade.

SSD are the way to go. There will be more adoption as the prices per GB drops and reliability goes up. I work in a large enterprise(not a federation ship) and the desktops and laptops are all being ordered with SSD for speed and power savings. For servers we are not there yet but almost.

My gaming machine I built last year has two SSD in a raid 0 stripe reading 1100MB/sec. The new drives are a lot faster. Makes my old raptor drives pretty obsolete.

Microsoft is also pushing hybrid data disk set which incorporate both physical for space/redundancy and speed of ssd.

J

if you were to buy a ssd today what one would you go for?

Samsung 840, probably the Pro model. But depending on your budget the regular 840 is great too.

if you were to buy a ssd today what one would you go for?

Samsung 840 Pro would be my choice. Though there's also the Plextor M5P's and Intel's are pretty damn good too. If cost were no option, an Intel 910 800GB PCI-Express drive.

Samsung without a doubt.
A big factor is the controller. Sandforce is more often rated lower than Samsung's in-house controller MDX. Sandforce is used on companies like Corsair, Kingston, Mushkin, SanDisk, G.Skill, ADATA, PNY...
But not for all their lines. Marvell is another controller, and so is LAMD.. There are others too but MDX and SandForce are the big ones infront of Marvell and Samsung is... better.

im thinking about getting that samsung 840 pro then.. sadly my pay check for the last 2 weeks is going suck so i probably wont end up buying it.

Yeah, they will. When the $/GB ratio between them gets closer to .5 ...

Back