Zappypants

Can't wait for Ivy Bridge, got the upgrade itch :

Mobo: Asus Maximus IV Extreme
Chip: i2600K
PS: Silverstone ST1000-P
Mem: Corsair 8 gigs 1600 @ 9-9-9-24
SSD: Intel 80 gig 320 series
Vid: EVGA GTX 580 SC (797 gpu clock)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932 (new one w/fancy-ass black interior)
Cool: Zalman CNPS9900A (maybe water later depending on how the chip clocks)
OS: Windows ME---------------------------------kidding :)

Headphones: Need some help here, mine suck, will be running onboard audio for now.

Newegg is taking their sweet ass time :( Sold last rig, will probably go SLI depending how BF3 looks.

Anywho, this is my first EVGA card, prior was a ATI 5970, and about 10 different BFG's before that. nVidia finally got it right, imo, with the 580. The GTX 590 looked attractive, but since the GPU's were underclocked for it, I think true SLI would be a better option down the line. Has anyone used the EVGA step-up program? If so, how did it work out for you? Thanks in advance.

I've got a never-say-die EVGA 0900gtx+, been purring for 3 years now and never mised a beat. I hold ASUS and EVGA with high regard, enough to warrant my return buisness. But you may want to hold on for purchasing a GFX card. nvidia is working a new card that will support multple monitors with a new physical design and drivers coming around the fall time frame.

Good to know about your card :) I was an Abit whore before they went tits up, but my last mobo was an Asus and it was awesome so I'm sold. I hear ya about the new card, but GPU's usually refresh about every 6 months, pretty impossible to keep up $$$$-wise, for me anyway lol

Also forgot to add, I'm willing to put on this, bose over the ear headset is the best sound headphone system out there. Nobody compares, but not many people are willing to spend $180 for a set of headphones. But other than them, I don't know who is a good coompany to get.

Ah Newegg...I'm ordering the final parts for my comp from them this weekend...

i love my 350s and i am using onboard, sexy sexy ear candy

Nice Pilot, since I'm not an audiophile, having a dedicated card means squat to me. The more I read about the 350's the more I'm leaning toward 'em. Thanks again :)

the only issue with my 350s is i tripped over the cord while the mic was still plugged in and now it does not work. still not 100% sure if it is the cord, or the plug on my case.

Are you using onboard or a card?

For those of you that might not know, on board sound cards are a HUGE contributor to lag. We saw this a great deal with 2142, we had guys that had decent rigs and even on low settings would be lagging. Once they installed a sound card, poof, lag was gone. Keep in mind, it doesn't even have to be a good sound card, just a cheap $20 one will work. For some reason, it seems like the sound is a bottle next for the CPU to process but when it is shifted to its own processor, it clears it up.

Are you sure it wasn't related to something else? Why would an onboard sound card cause lag?

I am 100% sure it was the soundcard or better, lack thereof. We had people that did not believe it and did everything else: more RAM, better CPU, better GFX card, etc., because they couldn't believe that sound would affect the gfx/lag.

Short answer is, the sound is just one more thing that the CPU has to process and for some reason, and I am not a tech guy so I couldn't tell you why, but it can cause a problem. For some reason and again, I don't know why, but not everyone that had on-board sound had problems. But those that had lag and decent machines, the ONLY common element was their use of on-board sound. Once that was fix with the addition of sound cards, the lag was gone.

I'm just saying, I've never had ANY issues with on board sound in games; 2142 included. That's why I'm very skeptical.

Agreed, some people have used on-board with no problems. I was just saying if you do have issues and have a good machine but use on-board sound, you might want to take a look at that as that is typically a lot cheaper fix.

I'm just saying, I've never had ANY issues with on board sound in games; 2142 included. That's why I'm very skeptical.

Fucking Creative Labs useless fucking drivers created more problems for me than anything, and no one else (until recently) has really been in the discreet soundcard game. I've been running onboard for awhile now and haven't looked back, although the Xonar stuff seems interesting. That Sennheiser headset will be my best audio upgrade, methinks.

Seriously, I hope Creative dies in a fire. Fuck those guys. I remember when Vista came out and CL pretty much said "Fuck that, not supporting it, but we'll throw a 'Vista Ready' sticker on it and call it good." Fast-forward to me getting a X-fi Gamer, and spent hours upon hours trying to get it to work. There was a 500+ page thread on their forums about horrible driver support, and finally a guy hacked their drivers to get them to work with Vista, and of course, CL sued him. On top of that, they STILL seem to have driver issues with W7. Go figure.

p.s. More than thrilled to see EAX die.

Wow, I kinda lost it there....sorry lol

Agreed, some people have used on-board with no problems. I was just saying if you do have issues and have a good machine but use on-board sound, you might want to take a look at that as that is typically a lot cheaper fix.

This dumb laptop of mine uses onboard. Ran fullout high rarely issues.

Back