USAA and my new car

Dirty-Lex

Admin
Admin
I need some solid advice on a car purchase. The military is helping me finance a new car, with a USAA loan.
I need some help making the right decision on the model/make etc, as i am really inexperienced in the car world, as far as purchasing one is concerned, and this is my first "new car" purchase.

here were my Ideas

Domestic :
Ford 2009 Mustang
Jeep Wrangler 2 or 4 door

Foreign:
Nissan frontier 4x4

any ideas??

Domestic :
Ford 2009 Mustang: Get the GT. Plenty of parts for it. Chick magnet. Higher insurance being labeled as a sports car.

Jeep Wrangler 2 or 4 door: Get the 4-door. Its cheaper for your auto insurance both being 4-doors and being in a truck category.

Foreign:
Nissan frontier 4x4: A rebadged Nissan Frontier, the Suzuki Equator.

Don't get yellow or red for the color. Higher for your insurance. They said because people drive faster in those colors for some reason.

Insurance for the Mustang is crazy about half of your car payment if you have ANY tickets. My advice check the insurance with each one.

They're right. I had a mustang before, and the insurance was twice what I have paid for any other vehicle. Being a single male, 24, when I bought it, I was paying $3,100 a year on insurance + car payments. I switched to a truck after that just for insurance and cargo room, and was paying $1,100 per year in insurance. Check the insurance for all three before you make a decision.

USAA is the way to go though. It is way fuckin better than any other insurer. First off I wouldn't go with a new car. A well maintained used car is just a reliable as a new car at far less the cost. I would say buy something in the 00' - 05' range and set aside the day after purchase to do all maintenance. It doesn't matter if they said it was done before. Get it done under your ownership so there is no uncertainty about it. Most things can be done by you, if you have questions about it ask a local shadetree mechanic...aka me.

As stated earlier don't get a Mustang and the Jeep Wrangler has a horrible crash test rating. I bet you're going to get more use out of it on the road than off so think about gas mileage too. I little Nissan Frontier wouldn't be a bad idea or a Chevy Colorado of hell an S-10. Just make sure it's not new.

Are you looking to do this through a dealer, private seller or ebay (or ebay like system)?

Jeep Wrangler 2
i am a jeep guy they do have a lot of problem with the 4door just to give you a heads up

Why don't you like the 4 door TK. I've been thinking of upgrading the 01 TJ but only for the 4 door. It's not that I need the 4, I just liked the stance once raised with aftermarket wheels. There is a black on down the road with the same tire size as mine (32X11X50) that looks good. I do like my inline 6 though.

Nissan Maxima is my favorite nissan, other than the GT-R of course.

Lex I just bought a new truck to replace my Tundra coming off lease and this is what I found. Check the incentives out there for a) new cars (especially trucks) and b) military. I was going to buy my four year old Tundra as it has low mileage and has been a great truck but the incentives on a new one were so good (o% for 5 years and 2,000 for anyone coming off a lease) that my payments were a little more than 100.00 a month to buy a new, nicer truck (Silverado Crew Cab LT with lots of stuff). Further, every company I dealt with had a military incentive as well. To check out the packages offered in each vehicle Edmunds.com is great as it armed me with a tremendous amount of information before I headed in and, once in the door, dealers were falling over each other to get me the truck I wanted. Just make sure you ask the dealer if their are any other offers on the table as my lease incentive was not advertised.

As far as the vehicle, if you're not hauling ass around then I would say a truck is the best deal. I have had a Ranger, Silverado, Tundra, and now a Silverado again and think their value is greater than most other vehicles and that for a small truck the Tacoma is nice though others may beat their pricing. If a truck does not do it for you then get to the local dealerships and do some driving. Everyone needs to move vehicles right now so they should be very accommodating. Good luck!

Looks to me that your not interested in MPG. I would go with the Jeep 4 door.

I have the 2009 consumer report buying guide. Looks like out of all your picks the Nissan has the best scores. The Jeep 2DR and the ford Mustang are about the same and is better than the Jeep 4 door.

Chuck is right though. A truck would be your best investment.

Thanks for the advice guys, I am really leaning towards a truck, cause I'm going to be doing a lot of moving when I get my duty assignment, and I want something that will last, MPG doesn't really bother me that much, I want to have something I will enjoy driving, like the openness of a jeep, and to be honest be a chick magnet. Ill figure things out once I get the ball rolling at the dealership.

I really appreciate the advice

Id suggest a Dodge Charger SRT-8 (or R/T if its too expensive). I Just bought an R/T AWD 2007 model and I fucking love it.
2009_Charger_SRT8_Large.jpg

As far as USAA.....fuck them. I heard all this great stuff about their prices. So i did a quote with them and it showed me a teaser ("get insurance as low as $32 a month!"). Well since i just bought a nice car i wanted mid to high range. I ASSUMED the other prices would be good as well. NOPE. The next highest coverage was $260 a month!

So i looked elsewhere. If you get a quote directly from Geico(G.overnment E.mployee I.nsurance CO.mpany) They give awesome discounts to soldiers. They also have a different division specifically for military where the customer service all have military training/experience so they know how to talk to you. They'll pause your insurance during deployments, all sorts of stuff. Anyways i dropped mine down to 85 a month for id say 75% of max coverage. A few things i honestly didnt need and i was set. No one else could compete with those prices. Just make sure when you do your quote you signify that you are military. It will give you a different customer service number to call at the end.

[quote1242666370=SgtDeadred]
Why don't you like the 4 door TK. I've been thinking of upgrading the 01 TJ but only for the 4 door. It's not that I need the 4, I just liked the stance once raised with aftermarket wheels. There is a black on down the road with the same tire size as mine (32X11X50) that looks good. I do like my inline 6 though.
[/quote1242666370]
this is my site you are more then welcome to join it SD here are all the TSB mind you that when the 06 model TJ stopped production there where only 6 TBS on it y change a good think this is what is wrong with America auto maker

Lex,

I think the best mileage will be the Nissan. I have a 06 Pathfinder with the 6 banger that averages 21 so I assume the Frontier will be comparable. My 01 Jeep gets nowhere close which has some to do with tire size I have to admit. Even my Silverado gets better mileage than the Jeep.

TK,
Been to the site checking out rear brake repairs. I completed the fronts last fall then got it stuck and burned out one of the calipers due to red clay ingestion LOL. I have a 2001 TJ that’s a look good toy for lack of a better term. 3.5 body lift with 32.11.50 tires, color is the fire orange with black top. Oh yeah, only 40k miles to date. I’d be driving it much more but the daughter has been on crutches and a leg brace for the last two months and can’t get in.

as of right now i am seriously looking at a pickup, although a 2008 GT would be nice, I'm leaning towards a Nissan frontier, it leaves me some money for other stuff, and it fufills the things I need for my job. so I think ill go with that, however the jeep is still pressing my brain to say "Buy me" .

the way Im looking at it, here in NY as well as all over the country Im a guy that is going to buy a car for cash when I walk into a dealership. the American car company's are in trouble and Im pretty sure with some smooth talking and some interest to leave their dealership for a "better deal" I can get a new 2008 or 9 model for a steal. Ill let you guys know how it goes.

What if this Jeep came to the U.S. I know they are using it in the Egyptian Military.

wrangler-pickup.jpg

Back