tracert advice/help

AmishBob

Assistant to the Regional Leadership Manager
Admin
Anyone have any sweet knowledge they can pass on? In the last few weeks I've started having issues with comcast. I've never had issues in the last 4 years until now. I'm thinking it might partly be my modem because I've had a few 5-10 minute connection drops once or twice a day, but my friends on the same street aren't having those issues. So modem may be a factor. However, I also feel like my jitter is way higher than normal also and I have some issues in Blizzard games, and sometimes BF1..

upload_2016-11-6_19-28-46.png

upload_2016-11-6_19-29-39.png

What router do you have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

asus ac1900

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would try replacing the modem. I have an Asus rt-ac66u, solid

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I have fought this a few times; my guess the signal that is coming in is too high. In my case the modem drops both Online & Link. Basically, I was dropping connections all the time.

When you are experiencing these drops, I would recommend performing an MTR to the subsequent servers. Its a constant traceroute, performed over an over, that can be used to identify congested links between peers. Performing a speed test to a server that is located near our destination is a good way to check for jitter to the destination as well. Anyway, onto your traceroutes provided...

Regardless that you are going from KS, MO to Comcast's peering with AS6543 in Chicago, IL (Cermak is pretty much a huge telco building), then hopping over to NYC, then back down to Ashburn, VA, that entire trip should not take you 63 ms. It's possible that a peering point is congested and latent, especially looking at the peering between prolexic.com (hop 15) and hop 16, as well as the hops within prolexic.com's AS (hops 14 and 15). However, overall, you are looking at a RTT of around 46ms to get to EA's servers, which, judging by the traffic they are getting, combined with idiots still occasionally trying to bring them down, is not toooooo bad. Sometimes, especially during high traffic times, you might see these types of results, because the peering to get to the destination judged on your geographical location is limited for the traffic based on the speed of the link that Comcast want's to pay.

Replacing the router is not really going to do you any good, unless you are looking at getting something with enough power under the hood to not only quickly analyze TCP streams, but to handle a bunch of them. If you are gaming, while streaming, and downloading torrents with multiple sockets opened, then I wouldn't worry about it.

What time did you run these traceroutes? Are you wired/wireless? I'm assuming the other one is to something with Blizzard (as they are located in GROKCA, used to do their firewall work)?

Comcast is replacing certain modems that won't function or be supported after january. They mailed me mine the other day. Mine drops out a lot to. Replace it and you will probably be fine.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I buy my own cable modems, but that's a good reminder. Tech changes and eventually your stuff is outdated.

With comcast, don't get their wireless gateway modems. They are junk. I spent $50 and got a high speed netgear modem. I'm getting higher speeds than before. And no drops at all.

Yeah, I get 25mbs faster download with my DOCSIS 3.0 modem than what I"m paying for and no damn rental fees.

If using wifi, turn of ipvp 6. That will help and change prefered banned to ac and 5gz

I get my modem for free, but I think I'll get one of the 600gb or gigabit modems from arris.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hell, they have have combo cable modem and dual band routers for under $100 too :0

If using wifi, turn of ipvp 6. That will help and change prefered banned to ac and 5gz

There is absolutely no influence of routing packets from a source to a destination fully contained on the IPv4 protocol if you have IPv6 enabled or disabled.

Most ISP doesn use IPVP6, most are using IPVP4 so turning that off actually helped reduce latency for me.

Replaced my modem and I seem to get the same results. Looks like I need to call comcast about this one spot it always gets stuck. Seems like if I do a semi local pingtest I do OK, but if I try to hit the Chicago servers my jitter goes way up. I used to get 19 ms and 0-1 jitter on the same test.

upload_2016-11-21_19-40-52.png

upload_2016-11-21_19-41-51.png

are you connected hardwire or wifi? i am wifi and i have good connection through tweaks i have done.

Back