thinking of joining the USMC need some info..

DeathPanx

what type of benefits do they offer you is pay good and all that ?? tell me everything i should know before applying!! thanks guys

First things first- Under the UCMJ - uniform military code of justice
Read this first before you consider!!!!

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/ucmj.htm

You are required to agree too this when you are enlisted. The Officer programs are different.
Basically they own you and everything you do.
Now i'm not saying they are going to abuse that fact but it does happen LULZ
If your just needing a job than I would suggest something else as the Marines / Army are the most physically demanding. Which also requires a Special type of commitment.

Now that said
Things the military will do for you:
Great Training / School / Job Diversity
Stable Job-Stable pay- not a lot though LULZ!!!
A Place to live- I.E. Barracks- also will pay whats called BAQ a small amount to your base pay to help with off base living quarters.
Free Food (Galley for Navy/Marines) or more cash to your base pay for food.
A true Team environment. There's nothing like Military order.
Travel- You will see alot of the world.
Medical Dental and Optical Care. They do take care of their people(and their Families) well I must say.
The opportunity to Fight alongside the finest warriors in the world.

Now the Bad:
Hurry up and wait LULZ will drive you nutz!!!
If you make a mistake and screw up you better believe you will be disciplined and there will be no lube.
There are a lot of social and I hate to say it Racial "Clicks". If you dont fit in with them you wont be there long.
Adapting to Civilian life again may be difficult depending on what type of duty you have during your enlistment or Contract.

You may see your fellow soldiers wounded and perhaps even killed in the line of duty.

You May actually have to Kill another person-potentially an armed woman or very young armed kid in some situations. While we may not send our kids and women into battle others in the world do not always do what we do. This is a Fact that you will have to come to terms with.

This is obviously just a few things that came to mind.
Take time to research this fully as this is a big commitment.
Make sure you know exactly what your getting into.

Good Luck / OOhhhrrrraaa / Whoa!!!!
xxXRayzorXxx
USN 88-92

i don't know if the national guard is the same as the canadian reserves, but if it is you can join there, do your BMQ and SQ and see if you like military life, it is a brief glimpse, but at least if you find out you can't stand it, you can quit anytime (except global was shit). as a reservist in canada at least, you get paid, you get some benefits and you get to play with cool guns :) might be a good way to tide yourself over until you decide what to do

It would not hurt to go to a recruiter and take the ASVAB test (if that's what they still call it) to see what jobs you qualify for in the branch you are looking at. If they only offer you speed bump err ah "Rifleman" jobs then you might think twice. You will have a recruiter hounding you for a while until you make a final decision. Also look up the AFPT test standards and height weight standards to see if you have any chance of getting into military shape.

If you do decide to join, be sure to take ANY college money program they have available. I got a 100% Free Bachelor's degree for 2.5 years in the Army and have never regretted it. There was actually extra money for books and to live off (still had to work part time tho) of since I went to a state university.

You will also qualify for a VA mortgage on the first house you buy after you get out. That means you should have an easy time finding a lender because the VA guarantees a large percentage of your loan if you should ever need to default/foreclose on the loan. You also do not need down payment (at least that was true in '92)

USAF is over strength...good luck with that. Got 2 calls today from people in AF trying to go Army.

Back