Supreme Commander 2 Preview / Interview

HeatSurge

Looks sexy as hell!

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/supremecommander2/video/6248630?hd=1

I find myself looking forward to SupCom 2 a lot more than BC2 right now...

BTW it is insane that they're porting it to the Xshitin360degrees, which I hope doesn't mean they nerfed the engine, because it was very heavy/multithreaded in the first game and I can't really see a console doing well with that + rendering quality graphics.

I also have no idea how they will manage to have people control a strategy game with a gamepad!?!? Unless they basically require a keyboard/mouse attached to the console or something... which would be weird.

Is this the first ever strategy game to be attempted on a console? I can't think of any other ones...

How was it coded? You move the mouse with the analog stick?

I'm not surprised it failed lulz... it's like trying to play a modern FPS with the arrow keys... (mind you the arrow keys worked EXTREMELY well in the early days of "auto vertical aim" like Doom / Duke3D.

Demo is out apparently.

Makes me QQ that my computer is still in the early build stage...

SupCom2 is one game iam looking forward as well. Could be a change from Stratcraft and SC2 will never come out anyways...

Edit*: I used to play Total Annihilation back in the days and I have pretty goods souvenirs of the game play, I think SupCom is some kind of sequel.

From what I've heard, the demo for SupCom is very simplified.

i just got it installed, ill be playing the demo tonight. im looking forward to more games that use multi threads. im dying to push my i7. minesweeper isnt cutting it :/

SupCom2 is one game iam looking forward as well. Could be a change from Stratcraft and SC2 will never come out anyways...

Edit*: I used to play Total Annihilation back in the days and I have pretty goods souvenirs of the game play, I think SupCom is some kind of sequel.

It is a sequel. Basically the same management system / unit movement / physics & shot simulation like TA, but unfortunately I absolutely hate the route they've taken with the graphics and sounds. Game designer is also the same as TA (Chris Taylor). Probably not the exact same programming team though.

The old game style (Total Annihilation) was gritty, hardcore, and completely badass, while with SupCom I feel like they're trying to make it look more like shitcraft and cnc/ra.

- The factions are gay
Gayeon, UAFag, and fucking Cybranal?
The conflict was between the ARM and the CORE. Human vs machine. Epic as hell itself! I don't know why they didn't keep the original going. I guess this has more mass appeal :-/

- The units are more anime and move less-realistically (imo) and generally faster (which is not realistic imo)
I guess they just had to cater to the 12 year olds which start having ADD flareouts when an artillery takes 15 seconds to deploy before firing... then again, they didn't completely fuck everything up (there are still heavy/slow units), but I feel like the general feel/direction taken is for the worse here.

- The story was lame as shitballs in your morning cereal in SupCom 1 anyway
Multiple commanders almost carrying swords and having manga stand-offs, while whining to each other about political affiliations? Where's the fucking GRINDING METAL, SHELL BLASTS and the DISINTEGRATOR CANNON? Where is the mission description where you - the hero - the ONLY "commander" unit - the last hope of humanity - are sent through a self-destructing galactic gate on a covert operation to destroy the CORE's node of communications on a frozen planet, thereby disrupting the enemy's movements? Instead, we get some epic religious whining from the Aeon, ridiculously lamely portrayed "hero/middleman"-complex-infected UAF, and an epically underwhelming "mad scientist" who isn't really evil that much? WAT DE FUK! (rant off)

- The music is so-so.
Better than most, and a good effort, but far less epic than TA, imo.

... with all the above said, it's still better than most other strategies out, in my opinion. The only thing I absolutely love is the strategic zoom.

I can't believe people are actually buying beta keys off of eBay for 300-400 bucks. That's ridiculous!

i played the demo. im new to that style of game play but i found it hard to tell my units what to do. i know part of the challenge is controlling multiple things at once but some of the mouse clicking and issuing orders sucked. it took me 15 minutes to kill an enemy sub because mine wouldnt do anything.

i know i am probably a fail but it needs to be more intuitive i guess.

For the record, i love these types of games.

SC2 = disappointment. Zoom is cool.

Company of Heros 10x better - still. C&C 1 is better, for that matter

Roth get COH or Medieval II if you want a good strat game with online play and people that play them.

(assuming same control scheme as SupCom) If you hold Shift, you can see the current order queue for units (it will draw it as an overlay of transparent lines/arrows) / paths / patrol routes and the EAT (expected arrival/execution times). The interface is generally right click = action, left click = select or nothing if empty ground, but this is configurable in the options.

I'm still putting my computer together.

Finally played through the demo and... This game is looking really good. I was expecting severe consolnerf syndrome, but it's actually really good. Runs really well on my new proccy too ;-D

I'm loving what they did with the animations all over the place. Explosions actually feel like damage is being done, unlike the first where it was quite lame sometimes.

The story is as cheesy and as shitty as possible still, but if you ignore that, it will be a beautiful game.

AC-1000 gunships are teh shit!

Probably won't buy on release but will look for a deal for $25ish a few weeks after.

Steam integration as well = win. No gpgnet anymore (good riddance)... and ACHIEVEMENTS.

This will be awesome.

Back