Steambox $1K?

I agree that I personally would not spend that much on something like this.
On the other hand, for people looking for a living room solution that isn't a console, this could be the perfect fit. Small, quiet, energy efficient(ish) but with a fair amount of power. The question is, is there a gap in the market between Desktop PC games, and console games?

If a good enough selection of steam Big Picture games was available and optimized for group gameplay on a TV, it could be very sucessful. The key is going to be having fantastic launch titles - imho.

I really like Valve, but I think the way they're going about this is a flop - at least with this current implementation.

The thing is, they're competing with consoles which are cheaper, perform better, and have a much wider selection of entertainment - for now.

The only person I see buying this is someone who is completely illiterate or uninformed about computers altogether. You can build a much higher performing and comparatively quiet PC in a horizontal case, for much less money than this. Sure, it's not going to be as tiny, but it'll fit well next to your receiver/DVD player/whatever in your living room entertainment center...

The mobo doesn't look very upgradeable, and the video card might be some weird form factor, but it's just a regular CPU/GPU...

LOL there's a video of Tomb Raider hitching at 10fps here too xD:

[video=youtube;OwlwvKGfBiY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwlwvKGfBiY[/video]

Over priced. Steam sucks (even though everyone uses it...).

I don't think that's going to be what's publicly released. I imagine in order to compete with the next-gen consoles it will be around $500 to $600.

A Steam based console... I say $250ish or lower. Who knows if the thing is even really going to come out? I have read a couple articles, but I don't recall any of them stating that this console was 100% verified for development and release. Anyone read that?

Great idea, horrible reality. It can't even run with the consoles much less a PC and for that price it needs to run better than consoles and some pcs.

I LOLd when the CEO of the company selling this turd is like "we're worried we won't be able to satisfy the demand for this."

I might be wrong, but I kinda doubt that'll be the case. Unless their production run is 10 xD ...

Back