So you wanna grow diamonds.

Man made diamonds have been around for quite a while. Some can be better than real diamonds, but the majority are used in commercial applications. For instance concrete saws use man made diamonds on the blades. Just about any tool that has a diamond blade is made up of man made diamonds.

"In technology, the diamond is a dream material. It can make computers run at speeds that would melt the innards of today's computers. Manufactured diamonds could help make lasers of extreme power. The material could allow a cellphone to fit into a watch and iPods to store 10,000 movies, not just 10,000 songs. Diamonds could mean frictionless medical replacement joints. Or coatings — perhaps for cars — that never scratch or wear out."

I never really thought of all the possible implications but that's pretty huge.

Man made diamonds have been around for quite a while. Some can be better than real diamonds, but the majority are used in commercial applications. For instance concrete saws use man made diamonds on the blades. Just about any tool that has a diamond blade is made up of man made diamonds.

The way I understand it, and I could be wrong, is that diamond sawblades, etc, contain diamond dust from diamond mining, not man-mad goodness.

The way I understand it, and I could be wrong, is that diamond sawblades, etc, contain diamond dust from diamond mining, not man-mad goodness.

Tools use synthetic industrial diamonds (wouldn't be enough real diamond dust to cover a load of drill bits at 1 Home depot)

Synthetic diamond coatings and oil drilling go hand in hand. Diamond tip drill bits revolutionized oil drilling in the 40's and 50's.

Synthetic industrial diamonds with a clarity grade (if commercialization is ever possible) will be huge for the "solar" business - ie. artificial photo-synthesis

Tools use synthetic industrial diamonds (wouldn't be enough real diamond dust to cover a load of drill bits at 1 Home depot)

Synthetic diamond coatings and oil drilling go hand in hand. Diamond tip drill bits revolutionized oil drilling in the 40's and 50's.

Synthetic industrial diamonds with a clarity grade (if commercialization is ever possible) will be huge for the "solar" business - ie. artificial photo-synthesis

Synthetic diamond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My fault, I thought you guys were saying synthetic diamonds and the article I linked to were the same. Forgot about the high pressure diamond stuff that's been around for awhile.

Back