Server Cost per TcMeat

gr8gonzo

TcMeat suggested I post a thread about this. The topic of monthly server cost came up and he said you guys were paying like $800/mo for servers, which seems pretty crazy, even for several servers.

If you guys are running dedicated servers, you may want to consider switching to colocated servers. Basically, instead of renting the hardware, you're buying your own server and simply renting the rack space to host it. I personally do this for several servers, and it's far cheaper.

My own personal server was $600 to buy (a used PowerEdge 2850 with Dual Xeons and about 300 gigs of space and 6Gb RAM), and I do colocation from ColoPronto.com for $40 a month (which is 2U of rack space). I've been doing server hosting for companies since 2001.

Just search on eBay for PowerEdge 2850 or 2950 and you'll find several used servers available in all different configurations - plenty of reputable sellers for these things.

Thanks gonzo, Appreciate you posting in the thread, rather then spamming the chat log on the server. People get annoyed when that is done. Once again thanks

Unfortunately, I think this is impractical for the fact that you can't put battlefield servers on your own hardware (our main game), among other things...

I was under the impression that you couldn't host your own ranked server PERIOD for the Battlefield series. I thought that EA/LICE had their own list of approved server providers to "protect the game code". Honestly I kind of wish the code could be protected from them sometimes.

Shit sorry to make a zombie thread, I didn't realize how dead this one was.

I was under the impression that you couldn't host your own ranked server PERIOD for the Battlefield series. I thought that EA/LICE had their own list of approved server providers to "protect the game code". Honestly I kind of wish the code could be protected from them sometimes.

Shit sorry to make a zombie thread, I didn't realize how dead this one was.

Exactly. Probably the biggest reason we cant go this route.

Back