S.M.A.R.T. Game

samson10

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pXWV8N4yBLY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pXWV8N4yBLY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This game looks kind of cool. It look like they used borderlands engine on this one. Makes it look cartoonish.

Wow, actually it does look they put some effort into making the movement work. We'll see how it is in practice though. Their "SMART" system looks A LOT like Mirror's Edge (which was good imo, some people didn't like it but I thought it was perfect).

So basically, this is Mirror's Edge with guns (well ME had guns but they were more of an afterthought) and multiplayer? Should be fun. The guns don't look overly powerful, hopefully they're satisfying. It's a must for a FPS for the guns to feel good.

By the way, BL uses Unreal Engine with just an outline shader. I'm not sure if this is Unreal here..... but it's just "flat color" textures, like Team Fortress 2... They don't even have an outline shader I think.

Reminds me of Mirrors Edge a lot (just without the e-Surance looking cut scenes), but yeah it does look cool.

So basically, this is Mirror's Edge with guns

I never played ME before but i checked it out on youtube and your right it does have the same movement alike. I didn't realise that DIRTY-LEX post the same game before i did. If i would have realised that he did i would have never made this post.

I have special love for ME. It has a lot of the "demoscene" vibe - like flat colors, primitives, but really cool objects and shading and particle stuff. It's kind of interesting, because DICE stands for "Digital Illusions" CE and they used to be a demogroup before they turned into "Digital Illusions" and later "DICE."

History here: EA Digital Illusions CE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The first game I played from them was actually Pinball Fantasies, and I spent many many hours on the 4 tables that game had. It was a-mazing for its time. It had a LOT of the "demoscene" vibe too - music in module format and amazing coding (for its time).

For more on the demoscene: Demoscene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you haven't played it and it looks interesting, I'd highly recommend it. Would buy ME2 (if it ever comes out).

A trailer for ME:

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KLwKMjUxvQQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KLwKMjUxvQQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

And a recent demo by Farb-rausch (a well-known famous German demo group) that I really like:

Rove by Farbrausch - Capped.TV

And the executable if you want to run it on your own computer :) :

ftp://ftp.untergrund.net/users/ryg/fr-043.zip

Wow thanks for that Heat. What a cool game. Why have I not seen this before. It was never on the shelves at fry's and Dice dident seem to promote it much. Heres the site for it with more trailers. EA :: Mirror's Edge

Because the game was short. The mechanics glitchy. The combat sucked. And the story was essentially nonexistent. Not worth any more than 10 or so bucks.

I disagree actually. The game was short, yes. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Portal was 3 hours at best, and I still regard it as one of the best games ever made because imo it was very innovative (the concept has been fucked around with before, but never presented with such depth as a main feature), played well, and the art added to the experience.

The mechanics being "glitchy" is a very weird claim to me, because I had 0 problems and everything worked really well and as expected. If you're referring to the whole game not being as "fluid" as it should be - well, it couldn't have been without being stupidly linear. In some of the levels you really had to look around and plan, which added to the experience (as opposed to it being a boring "corridor" runner) imo.

The combat... well, it wasn't CoD, that's for sure. It had its quirks, but considering that the main feature of the game is running, holding a gun was more of an afterthought they could've entirely done without, but chose to include. I don't mind it personally... and it was more than playable for me, I didn't even see a problem with it before I came online and started reading all the whining.

I actually dug the story. It was somewhat simplistic, but it pieced the levels and everything together, as opposed to it being a series of platforming challenges.

ME was not a fps, nor did it claim to be. I see it as somewhat of a platforming game - something like Prince of Persia without the magic in first person.

I really like "futuristic" themes and the artstyle, and the mechanics worked flawlessly for me. Honestly, never in the game did I stop and be like "this control is shit" or "I can't shoot this guy" or something.

Of course, there was substantial trial and error in some parts (one scene comes to mind), but that comes with all platforming/slightly puzzle games imo.

Overall, the bottom line is I really liked it - for what it is, even though it's no HL2.

Back