Reloading

KombatNife

Well, ever since I brought the 22 on Oct 28 last year, I've been hooked in guns, it's so fun to shoot that I brought a 9mm.

Now I'm running into the problem of the cost of ammunition, I've heard lots of people reload their own ammo, which is fine, I'm thinking of doing the same. Although initially I'm only going to reload 9mm ammo, once I have the press and all the tools, it shouldn't be hard at all to move onto higher caliber rounds.

These are few of the things I'm thinking of buying, if any of you guys reload, tell me your experience that you've had with them, or perhaps an alternative.

RCBS vibratory tumbler
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme press
RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure with Small Cylinder
RCBS Model 505 Magnetic Powder Scale 511 Grain Capacity
RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool
Redding Shellholder #13 (38 Super, 9mm Luger, 9mm Makarov)
Redding 9mm 3 die set

All that should cost a bit over $500...

As of right now, I'm not really interested on getting a progressive press, as I'm doing it for hobby, not mass produce rounds...

Just do like we did in the army, just aim your gun and "B-B-B-B-B-B-Bugdet-cut".....

I'd try to get a case of Chinese (norinco) - before I went that route - a lot of time - (... and not from the store kind - meet some "guys" who can help you with this problem)

How much are you shooting?

...and do you have extra space,etc. - not a kitchen activity

Aside from the obvious safety issues, have you considered all the other factors involved? Permits may be a serious issue in acquiring many of the compounds. Do you shoot enough to justify loading yourself? I have reloaded my own rounds, but it was with a friends equipment set up in a proper room for that job. Since then I have just paid him to do the work. He all ready does a little side business in that arena anyways and is a licensed firearms dealer. Cheaper than the store and much higher quality was the benefit, as well as custom specs if i wanted them.

Someone at the ranges you shoot at probably all ready does all of this and you can probably stike up a friendship and / or conversation to see if its something he/she can do for you or at the very least advice. If you do decide to load yourself it may be a wise idea to sell some of the rounds to people at the range. Shooters are finicky though when it comes to ammo so be warned. If I'm not mistaken caps will be your biggest hurdle as far as permits go.

Bob where the hell do you live that permits for reloading materials are so hard to get. My father never mentioned it and I know everything's mail order out of the major catalogs. But he sells guns for a living so permits probably wouldn't be a huge issue to him.

Permit for reloading? never heard of it. I'm reloading for myself, and I'm not selling the reloaded ammo, thus not liable, I'm pretty sure I don't need a permit.

I would check just in case you do need permits. You definetly don't want any"patriot act" situations on your hands. But as teh above mentioned, I think the caps would be major difficulty.

Permit for reloading? never heard of it. I'm reloading for myself, and I'm not selling the reloaded ammo, thus not liable, I'm pretty sure I don't need a permit.

I don't know about other states or local ordinances where you live but I can tell you in OH, KY & Indiana no permits are required if you're doing the reloading for personal use but I am not sure what if any are required for commercial resale.

forget the permits - even if you need a pile of permits - this is america

setting people and property on fire (fire is the type you can't run from should it go hostile) is the big problem

In some states you have to be a licensed reloader or a dealer in order to do anything. As you can imagine the propellants and primers are what they are interested in. I do not know about your state specifically, or if it will even be an issue for you. I do know that in Florida their were special procedures for primers, but not cases or the actual bullets. Why they did not have restrictions on the powder is beyond me. I am also going by my own involvement from back in the 90's, so things probably have changed since then.

I do know that you need to be very precise or you can or will injure yourself or others. This is not something to take lightly. I have personally witnessed bad reloads on handguns and it is not pretty to say the least. You will need many tools above and beyond the dies and presses. Information will be your best friend here. Get the books and read them thoroughly. Good luck..

As for finding info looking it up can be a pain I would find a site thats say related to reloading and you will sooner or later start getting answers from people in your area.

Yeah in Maryland its a felony to have a single bullet in your pocket. But i think they're a bit lenient on everything else lol.\

I do know several states have laws on how much ammo you can have. White I would guess we have near the allowed amount in shell casings I know we are way under the limit in actual ammunition and supplies to complete reloads. Bullets are a alot more expensive than recycled casing. 5,000? HAH I don't think the M14 or anything else will go through that much.

Here are the official Idaho firearms laws:

http://www.idaho.gov/laws_rules/firearm.html

They are very relaxed to say the least though I couldn't find anything in reference to reloading. Have pulse, will carry.

"Idaho gun laws do not require the the registration of firearms. Also, the provisions of law in Idaho do not require that owners of firearms be licensed in order to own them. Individuals seeking to purchase handguns do not need to acquire a permit to do so, and can readily purchase rifles, shotguns, and handguns at any certified or registered firearms dealer. The main requirement to purchase firearms under Idaho gun laws is that the person be aged at least 18 years, and be subject to passing a FBI-sanctioned background check through the National Instant Check System, also known as NICS. Minors under the age of 18 are able to purchase firearms only if they can provide written consent signed by a parent or legal guardian. It is considered, under Idaho gun law, illegal to provide minors under the age of 16 with ammunition--shells or gunpowder--for the exception of rounds or shells to be used in shotguns or rifles and only up to a .22 caliber. This transaction of ammunition also requires the written consent of a parent or guardian as well.

The is no permit or license required for the possession of firearms, but Idaho gun laws do require a license to carry concealed weapons. Though there may not be any permits needed, Idaho gun laws do have possession restrictions. Any person that has a prior conviction to a felony charge is not allowed to possess any firearms. Minors under the age of 18 may have in their possession a rifle or shotgun only with the written permission of a parent or guardian. It is unlawful for a minor to be in possession of a hand gun. A concealed weapon is defined by Idaho gun law as a weapon being carried on person physically, whether it is on their person or in a container of any kind, where it can be easily accessed by the person for use; it is also considered a concealed weapon if the firearm is not easily visible when being carried. Applicants for a concealed weapons license must be over the age of 21 and a legal resident of the United States. Applicants may be considered as ineligible if they fit any of the following junctures or criteria:
Conviction in a crime in which a jail sentence of over one year is served.
Abuse of illegal drugs, controlled substances, and/or alcohol.
A dishonorable discharged from the military.
Under an order of restraint.
Conviction of a misdemeanor crime of a violent nature within the past three years from the date of the application.

The application of the license is submitted to the director of the Idaho State Police, in which a fingerprinting is required for first-time applicants. The director of the state police also has the discretion of issuing a license for concealed weapons to individuals between the ages of 18 to 21, if such applicants provide an undeniable necessity to carry a concealed weapon. It is important to note that a concealed weapons license is not necessary if a person in possession of a concealed weapon is outside of the border limits of cities and/or towns."

Man i been a deputy sheriff for almost 13 years and i've never seen any "reloading" laws enforced....then again I live in a county full of marshlands and hunting. I do know that the ATF has a task force in our state (Maryland) that just monitors large purchases of powder, primers, etc..... but they take no action.....But I'm sure that if you lived in East L.A. or somethin, you may have a SWAT team comin lol

Back