Rate my setup please

TORONTONY88

My birthday's coming up and i was thinking about treating myself to a 144hz monitor. Wondering if any of yall would recommend that for me considering my pc setup.
Until now i've been playing on a tv screen and been waiting for the right occasion to justify spending $ on a proper monitor and a gaming headset.

These are my specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6core/12 thread - bought for 269
GPU: MSI radeon RX 580 ARMOR OC 8GB - bought for 249$
RAM: 2x8GB Team T-Force Delta RGB Black DDR4 3200MHZ - bought for 99$
MOBO: ASROCK B450M HDV R 4.0 amd am4 - MBA-B45-MHDV - bought for 109$
PSU: Cooler master Masterwatt 650W 80plus Bronze - Bought for 109$
1TB blue SSD as hard drive

I bought everything brand new from Canada Computers about 4 months ago and i knew that the video card was 4+ years old but it was within my budget.
Sooo considering i'm running everything at stock clock and i mainly play BF4 and some steam games, is it in by better interest buying a 144hz monitor vs 2x60 hz monitors?
Got a budget of around 250-400 for a monitor...the less i spend the better... was planning on getting a new 144hz and then finding a dirt cheap 60hz monitor to have as a 2nd off of facebook marketplace or w.e,

Anything any of yall can recommend to improve my gaming setup? ex: overclocking/swapping parts...
When i oc'ed my previous setup 2 years ago when i was running a amd FX 9590 8 core 5 ghz, i only noticed a 10% increase in performance...

Last edited:
If all you really play is BF4 and light games, I doubt you really need to make a big upgrade in terms of hardware. I can still easily play BF4 with a GTX 660TI from 2012.

A lot of people say a faster refresh rate is well worth the upgrade. I have to say it doesn't make much of a difference to MY gameplay but it is much prettier...
I went for a 1440p monitor and got a nice refresh rate as a result, but I wasn't necessarily looking for it. Some people guided me toward it. =]

Could always use your current TV as a second monitor rather than springing for two. I don't mind having monitors that don't match.

Some others will probably have some good input for you. I'll think some more. =]

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
What frames do you get currently in BF4 with that setup? If you can't hit 144+ frames consistently now it will not be worthwhile for you to have a 144hz monitor. You want your frame rate and refresh rate to match typically, though frames exceeding refresh is usually much better than frames being beneath refresh.

normally get between 160-200 fps with everything on high/ultra
ambient oclusion and bottom 3 settings in bf4 gfx are off, evberything else is set to ultra except for lighting is on low and post proccessing is on low.
speaking of bf4 settings.... for a while i kept everything on low except MESH on ultra, i was advised this by someone for best visuals for seeing ppl from afar....
also... another setting ive had which others may find odd is: i keep FOV point of view on MAX, as it helps with recoil?

normally get between 160-200 fps with everything on high/ultra
ambient oclusion and bottom 3 settings in bf4 gfx are off, evberything else is set to ultra except for lighting is on low and post proccessing is on low.
speaking of bf4 settings.... for a while i kept everything on low except MESH on ultra, i was advised this by someone for best visuals for seeing ppl from afar....
also... another setting ive had which others may find odd is: i keep FOV point of view on MAX, as it helps with recoil?
FOV on max... you can see behind you?

What frames do you get currently in BF4 with that setup? If you can't hit 144+ frames consistently now it will not be worthwhile for you to have a 144hz monitor. You want your frame rate and refresh rate to match typically, though frames exceeding refresh is usually much better than frames being beneath refresh.

Definitely Agree with Doc here. Its worth a shot if you are hitting at least 144 FPS in BF4 and it looks like you do well over that.

Otherwise with your current setup, I would say the best upgrade you could make would be Video card, but really it depends on what you are wanting to accomplish. Are you planning for another game or just what you currently play?

A TV may not give you the best visuals versus a monitor unless you were using a very expensive OLED TV, but that is way out of budget. Monitors tend to have faster refresh rates than TVs, except for OLED, those are pretty fast as well.

LMAO @ see behind you comment, i just got used to it...not brave enough to try scaling it down again
I ended up purchasing the
BenQ Zowie XL2411P 24" FHD e-Sports Gaming Monitor - 1920 x 1080, 144Hz, 1 ms, 12M:1
for 259.99
just now

Back