Questions On Monitors

ColdIceShot

Hi there,

I am looking a these two monitors:

Asus ROG PG27AQ Black 27 : $1200 CAD
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG27AQ/
ASUS MG28UQ Black 28: $600 CAD
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Monitors/MG28UQ/

I am ready to pay up to 1200, that's not the problem. But I don't see much differences in between both other than the MG28 is LCD versus LED for the ROG and G-Sync for the ROG and not for the MG28. Other than that apparently that we can overclock the ROG to 100hz but stock at 60hz just like the MG28. Very good review on both but I can buy two MG28UQ for the price of one PG27AQ and I don't understand why.

Anybody have thoughts on this?

If you are looking to buy a top end monitor I'd wait a little while as in May Samsung and Asus, Acer predator have new models from CES to announce.
This includes 144hz 4k monitors and a bunch of 2k ones too with/without G-SYNC + with/without HDR

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG27UQ/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1625438/various-samsung-2017-monitor-lineup << great thread to read through

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5z4g7f/full_samsung_gaming_monitor_lineup_2017/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5xbgd0/samsung_releasing_144hz_hdr_freesync_monitor/

Predator XB272-HDR

Plus, look at Dell's selection. Asus may make gamer stuff, but Dell makes just as ergonomic stuff with a bit less flashy(read: easier to get the wife to sign off) designs and lower prices :)

Plus, look at Dell's selection. Asus may make gamer stuff, but Dell makes just as ergonomic stuff with a bit less flashy(read: easier to get the wife to sign off) designs and lower prices :)

I just wonder about quality and reliability of Dell monitor, never own one.

If you are looking to buy a top end monitor I'd wait a little while as in May Samsung and Asus, Acer predator have new models from CES to announce.
This includes 144hz 4k monitors and a bunch of 2k ones too with/without G-SYNC + with/without HDR

Yes I was looking at the new ASUS that is supposed to be released this year with 144hz but there is two problems with that. First of all I was reading that no 10th generation of NVIDIA have the capability of running 4K at 144hz period. But that survey was done just before the 1080 Ti release which is what I have. The second problem is that those monitors will be freaking expensive at release and will take a little while before drooping of price. That's why I was looking at maybe buying a less expensive 4K 60hz monitor to start and wait for the technology to evolve properly with a bit more decent price than 2K for a 27inch 144hz monitor.... But thanks for showing the others I did not know about the other brands planing to release some as well.

There isn't much difference in those two monitors except the ROG one is 6ohz at 4k and the other one is 30hz refresh rate in 4k. Other than that they're pretty similar. Like Avery said, I'd wait though. There's supposed to be 100-144hz 4k monitors coming out this year.

There isn't much difference in those two monitors except the ROG one is 6ohz at 4k and the other one is 30hz refresh rate in 4k. Other than that they're pretty similar. Like Avery said, I'd wait though. There's supposed to be 100-144hz 4k monitors coming out this year.

Ok than I guess I'll wait, it's just that I bought this monster here and run games on a regular 24" HDMI 75hz monitor of 140$ that is supposed to be my second monitor lol I'm kind of ready for something better :p

Can the 1080 Ti run 4k at 144hz?

I'm not bothering with 4k until hardware will run at 144hz. I'd wait and save more. Next gen cards will be a significant leap over the 10 series and t
With that, more affordable monitors. I'm still sitting with my 2k display and 980ti Ali. Runs bf1 easily.

Ok than I guess I'll wait, it's just that I bought this monster here and run games on a regular 24" HDMI 75hz monitor of 140$ that is supposed to be my second monitor lol I'm kind of ready for something better :p

Can the 1080 Ti run 4k at 144hz?
Nope! It can run 4k around 70fps.. but like iguanidon said until there's a gpu that can drive that beast what's the point?

Maybe I did not ask the question properly. Why would I wait for a better monitor when my 1080 Ti can't run it? I need a good monitor for gaming since I am on regular HDMI 1080p now and I would really like to try 4K since I have a gpu that can run actual 60Hz 4K monitors. Would I do a mistake by buying a too cheap 4K monitor like the one at $600 or not? Cause it could be a great way to enjoy trying 4K gaming without spending a fortune. And than in a year or two when the technology is ready I will have more margin to buy a very good monitor and exchange my graphic card for one that can run it.

I don't understand how it can really be that better when your source is officially shooting you no more than 60Hz. BF1 and games in general are no more than 60Hz...

I don't understand how it can really be that better when your source is officially shooting you no more than 60Hz. BF1 and games in general are no more than 60Hz...
It just is.. This is like trying to figure out women. Don't hurt yourself trying, just accept it ;)

When you see a server mention 60hz or 40 hz or whatever, you realize that is not the refresh rate for video, right? That's how fast the server talks to your game and refreshes things, it's not to be confused with your video refresh or frame rates. Just wasn't sure if that's what you were thinking when you see 60 hz mentioned on BF1 server pages when you join.

Last edited:
When you see a server mention 60hz or 40 hz or whatever, you realize that is not the refresh rate for video, right? That's how fast the server talks to your game and refreshes things, it's got nothing to do with your video refresh or frame rates at all. Just wasn't sure if that's what you were thinking when you see 60 hz mentioned on BF1 server pages when you join.

Yes that's what I wanted to know, I'm getting back into gaming after 10 years so yes I am a big noob at it and I assume it. It's just that in the world of video where I come from at work if your source is not giving you the number that your lens can handle your kind of wasting it. Your lens can handle as much as you want there is not enough to read which is why I think this way. I guess I stop asking question as sixers mention cause it's just not logic to me. But thanks Joe!

The hertz rate of your monitor is the maximum amount of frames your monitor will fully display. E.g. a 60hz monitor will only be capable of showing 60 complete frames per second. It will look blurry and distorted compared to a 2k monitor that shows up to 144hz or 144 frames per second. On small screens there aren't much differences between 4k and 2k quality in terms of picture. What you will see though is blurry pictures especially in moments of high motion on a lower Hz monitor. It's best to wait for technology to run it good.

For example I'm running a Benq 2k monitor with 1ms response time and 144hz. I keep my fps locked at 144 using config files so there is absolutely no screen tearing. This results in a very fluid, and complete lack of blur even during high motion. This allows me to acquire targets very quickly because I can not only see but I can make out details and react.

Back