[poll] What to buy for christmas

roth140

Option 1: LG BluRay dvd player. Pretty straight forward. however, this dvd player streams video from your netflix account via cat5 connection. so blu ray and netflix on demand.

Option 2: This is a 28" widescreen 1080P full HD monitor. 1920x1080 16:10. I have a Samsung 19" 4:3 LCD monitor at 1280x1024. I am running two 8600 GT OC's in sli. My monitor is the weakest link of my gaming PC so its upgrade time.

I'd go with the BluRay. You seem to like watching movies, why not? :).

very true. the downside there, mentioned by a co-worker, is now i have to buy a few bluray movies to enjoy it fully. namely, the band of brother set. The nice thing with blu ray is it will upscale regular 480i dvd's. but thats never the same as 1080.

Buy a 37" Westy if you opt for monitor... that's what I have and I like it. It probably won't cost that much more over the 28"...

I'd probably go for monitor if I were you, but if you watch a lot of movies (and have/plan on buying a lot of blurays), Blu-ray all the way.

To really enjoy Blu-ray you really need a 1080p monitor though... so buy both lol!

Personally, the difference in quality over DVD still makes me shit in my pants... I like 1080p. A lot. And DVD's bother me with their blockiness... but they're still OK for non-action / non-particularly-scenographic / older movies.

Movies like The Dark Knight though... the difference in 1080p vs DVD will really give you sexual pleasure.

rofl. im so torn. im also considering how much time i can spwnd with the pc once the baby is born (Feb). i could always watch a move tho :(

I want a Blue ray also but if I get one I need the whole pkg. I would have to get the 7.1 sound the +47" WS to go with it. If not those things it's like buying a Mustang with a 4 cylinder

The PC monitor, You can alway's watch a movie, and for me its not how well defined a War scene is that Im watching like in BoB, but rather how well defined the one I am kicking ass in is defined. from first hand experience, my buddy had an 37" HD monitor by Polaroid for bf2 and 2142 and It was sweeeeeeeeeeet, i guarantee you will jizz your self when you see how well defined you L4D game play will be.

Ha do both rack them cards up. Personaly, I'd get a 22" off newegg. Most of them run upwards $170 plus you can get a blueray around the same price.

[quote1229556989=Tool&Die_Nerd]
I want a Blue ray also but if I get one I need the whole pkg. I would have to get the 7.1 sound the +47" WS to go with it. If not those things it's like buying a Mustang with a 4 cylinder
[/quote1229556989]

Actually, buying a blu-ray player without a 1080p to enjoy it is like buying a Turbocharged V8 without a Mustang :-D

But yeah... playing games on a 37" 1080p is something I also enjoy quite a bit personally... but then again, you said you like to watch movies more :-D

If you're going to play stuff on 1080p 8600 in sli might not be a good choice... I'd go for a big single card over sli to be honest but it's up to you. IMO, the current or upcoming 55nm GTX 260 is the perfect "price-conscious enthusiast" card right now... or a 4870x2 if you're into the red stuff.

IDK... I'd say again buy both lol. 37" 1080p + Blu-Ray Player = FTW!

For sound, I'd go for a logitech Z5500 or if you want something more balls-tingling, Paradigm speakers + some kinda good receiver as an "entry level" into pr0 s0und4g3...

i think im getting the monitor. i can buy a bluray dvd drive for the tower here.

and Heat, i might go for the graphics card in a few months time too. great idea

Back