[poll] Story vs Graphics

boondokk

BANNED
BANNED
Is it just me, or is story in video and computer games inversely proportionate to graphics? As the level of graphics go up, the level of compelling storytelling goes down. I think I'm right.

Story and Gameplay are good. Graphics.. not so much. To many games have been ruined by good graphics.

hmmmm

pearl jam..... PEARL JAM PEARL JAM PEARL JAM PEARL JAM PEARL JAM PEARL JAM PEARL JAM PEARL JAM PEARL JAM PEARL JAM PEARL JAM PEARL JAM PEARL JAM

Inversely proportionate?

I don't think so.

Half-Life 2 had both great graphics and a story and the engine still feels "fresh" 5 years later...

Can't say the same for Crysis though, sadly... or Far Cry (1). Their stories/gameplay are not terrible, but not great by any means...

I really hate the trend lately that if your game doesn't deliver mega-texture-shader-ZOMG it's not perceived as any good.

Maybe it's a bit of an extreme example, but I would have more fun with a freakin good TEXT adventure than a "next-gen" graphics wonder, if the latter delivers gameplay which makes me yawn.

If it were up to me, I'd spend quite a bit more time on gameplay mechanics/story than quality textures/shaders/models for games. Graphics don't make a good game. Gameplay does (at least for me).

I completely agree HeatSurge. The FPS market is especially lacking in games with good game play.

Save for 2142, the only FPS game that has had me tingle in my toes is Gears of War 1 and 2 - I know those are really third person shooters - they have good FX and the storyline (although a little short) was a lot of fun and the game mechanics were well-done, as well.

I have tried everything from MMOFPS/RPG (Hellgate) to Soldner (loads of potential, fell flat and hard), to COD4 (yes, you can string me up - come fine me! BWAHAHA!) which personally sucked on the 360; however, console vs PC is another matter altogether.

As far as COD4 goes, I actually enjoyed the sniper/chernobyl level quite a bit. At least it left a lasting impression...

The game feels a bit too "arcady" for me though, overall.

You can really tell it originated on consoles, imo, which on the other hand isn't necessarily a bad thing sometimes.

COD4 was WAYYYY too short. should have been hours longer. That, and the AI was terrible. Some of the textures were deplorable and your team-mates were next to useless.

I never noticed many problems with COD4 really, except that the game was really difficult in some parts. Might have been the difficulty I chose - can't remember which it was, but holy shit that sniper level at chernobyl while you're waiting to be picked up by the chopper I literally couldn't shoot them down fast enough - they just kept coming too fast, so I kind of exploited the stupid AI a bit around corners etc. by that ferris wheel... I guess the premise is that you're basically superman...

But I mean... seriously - the "AI" was basically programmed to either shoot or run straight at you...

Kinda felt like shooting at a funfair sometimes, or those arcade games with the guns where things pop up on the screen and you shoot them down... not really very mentally involved - but fun for a while.

Back