OCZ Unveils PCIe-Based SSD Card

ErikStenger

OCZ Technology first introduced the new Z-Drive PCI-Express SSD at the CeBIT 2009 expo held in Germany this past February, representing the company's latest premium solid state storage solution using the highly-fast PCI-Express interface (x4). The Z-Drive offers an onboard RAID controller, 256 MB of onboard cache, comes in three different capacities, and a MTBF of at least 1.5 million hours. The Z-Drive is also compatible with a wide range of operating systems including Windows XP (32 and 64), Windows 7 (32 and 64), and even Mac OS X 10.

“It is our goal to deliver tailored SSD solutions for the complete spectrum of high performance applications,†said Eugene Chang, Vice President of Product Management at the OCZ Technology Group. “Designed for ultra high performance consumers, the Z-Drive takes the SATA bottleneck out of the equation by employing the ultra fast PCI-Express architecture with a RAID controller and four Vertex controllers configured in four-way RAID 0 within an all-in-one product, making this solution ideal for applications that put a premium on both storage performance and maximum capacity.â€ÂÂ

The Z-Drive's three capacity offerings include 250 GB, 500 GB, and 1 TB. The 250 GB version offers reads speeds up to 450 MB/s, write speeds up to 300 MB/s, and a sustained write speed up to 200 MB/s. The 500 GB version is the fastest SSD of the bunch, providing read speeds up to 510 MB/s, and write speeds up to 480 MB/s; it too also has sustained write speeds up to 200 MB. As for the 1 TB version, its read speed is a bit slower, accessing data up to 500 MB/s. It also sports write speeds up to 470 MB/s, and a 200 MB/s sustained write speed as well. The overall dimensions of all three Z-Drive versions are 245mm x 124mm x 22mm, although the drive looks thick enough to take up two slots. There's also a fan on the bottom of the SSD to keep things nice and cool.

"Z-Drives feature exceptional speeds all while delivering lowered power consumption, ultra-fast data access, superior durability, and lower cost per ownership compared to conventional hard drives when factoring in the need for multiple drives and a separate RAID controller," the company said.

Although consumers can purchase OCZ products through online retailers including Tiger Direct, Newegg, eCost, CompUSA, and more, the Z-Drive was not available for purchase at the time of this writing. However, the OCZ Vertex Series 120 GB SSD for the SATA II interface costs around $370 USD, so it may be safe to assume that the 250 GB version of the Z-Drive PCI-Express SSD may be a bit higher in price. Still, with the super fast performance provided by the PCI-e interface and SSD technology, the price may very well be worth it.
ZDrive_side_b.jpg

I saw that today too; the speeds seem insane. Who wouldn't want one of those? Then again, how many extra PCIE slots does anyone really have?

Well the more they become the norm - the more mobos will be equipped with 2 or more PCI-e x16 slots.

Now thats two things that I seen that uses PCI-Express interface (x4). This thing and soundcards.

Don't forget hardware RAID cards. A lot of them have been updated to take advantage of the PCI-E speeds.

Anyway, attaching a SSD to the PCIE is a bit of an overkill imo. Just wait for SATA 3.0 or do raid with normal SSDs instead of putting them in the PCIE, ffs... It's for expansion cards, not storage. What are they going to make next - a portable Blu-Ray drive that plugs into the PCI-E slot?... hell.

My understanding is that the PCI-e type SSD cannot lose power

It's also a LOT of money. I'll wait till they come down in price.

PCI-E SSD Does 1000 MB/sec.

PhotoFast's new G-Monster-PROMISE PCIe SSD--so new its not even listed on the official website as of this writing--claims to be the first SSD device in the industry to reach 1000 MB/s. In appearance alone, the device, connecting to an x8 PCI-e slot, looks huge, possibly eating up two or three physical spaces on the motherboard. That may not be the case, as the actual dimensions are 10.63-inches x 4.75-inches x 1.71-inches, and weighs just over two pounds.

However, despite its seemingly unusual size, the SSD comes with a great benefit: super-fast read and writes of 1000 MB/sec and 1000 MB/sec respectively, making it around three to five times faster than standard SATA solutions thanks to the PCI-e connection. According to the company, the G-Monster-PROMISE will appear in three flavors: 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB, and 1 TB. The drive also supports MLC flash, and offers 256 MB of ECC DDR II and SDRAM memory.

PhotoFast also revealed that the device has a MTBF of around 2,500,000 hours, and a data retention of five years. The SSD not only supports S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology), but has a high reliability based on its internal BCH 15-bit Error Code Correction technology. Unfortunately, the device isn't even available in Japan until the middle of May, and more than likely won't hit North American shores for a while. As for pricing, according to this flyer, the 128 GB version will cost a whopping $1600USD, and the 1 TB version will cost $4500USD. Ouch.

photofast-g-monster-promise-pci-e-ssd.jpg

[quote1241629806=balls2dawall]
[/quote1241629806]

Huh?? If you turn off your computer or your PSU goes to shit, they'll lose just as much power as regular SSDs lol... it's coming from the same place :-D

I saw a price tag on that PCI-E SSD-$1500.00 or as the advertisement stated, $1495.00 What a bargain!

It will be even 'cheaper' when they come out with a smaller nanometer manufacturing process.

[quote1245173716=HeatSurge]
[quote1241629806=balls2dawall]
[/quote1241629806]

Huh?? If you turn off your computer or your PSU goes to shit, they'll lose just as much power as regular SSDs lol... it's coming from the same place :-D
[/quote1245173716]

I'm sure you know there are volatile and non-volatile memory, same case with some of these PCI-e SSD's. A battery or a direction power connect has to keep volatile type powered.

[quote1245178397=ErikStenger]
A battery like the one on the motherboard?
[/quote1245178397]
Yup.

Transcend’s SSD25D this is the SSD you should get
http://ssd-reviews.com/a-41.html
If the SATA committee would get their heads out of their ass and upgrade the standard to Sata II, all drive speeds would improve

volatile memory or ram loses memory apon power loss
non-volatile does not
an ssd is basically a hdd with no moving parts meaning reduced search times less fragmentation and a disk life of 1-100million hours read and write speeds are over double that of a 10,000rpm raptor drive in a online test world of warcraft took 60seconds to start on a raptor 10,000rpm drive 25 on an ssd, vista took 3,30 seconds to load up all its services and security software on the raptor. the ssd reduced thattime by upto 50seconds. i want one!
also i cant remember but there is a 1tb ssdout there somewhere

Back