New Computer Ideas

Harms_Way

Now that I have figured out a new budget based on my checks, I've decided to finally look into getting a new computer. My laptop has seen better days but the time has come to upgrade to a desktop. One that is capable of playing all my games without overheating as well as being able to play Battlefield so I can finally join ya'll on the servers. The only question is this. What brand as well as what specs are the most recommended for playing online games?

depends on the games and budget. What's your budget, roughly?

Sent by Tapatalk carrier pigeon via Nexus 5.

Here's the thing...if you want a desktop build it yourself. It's really not difficult and you'll save at least 50% on the cost. As far as specs that depends on your budget. What did you have in mind to spend?

I also would recommend building one yourself as well. It is cheaper, you dont have a bunch of useless programs installed on a premade desktop, and self rewarding, once you get past the butterflies and fear. Pick up a few PC magazines and watch some videos, very helpful...not to mention TBG is full of avid computer buffs to answer any building questions you might come into. Stay away from Dell/Alienware if you choose the premade desktops, there are plenty of websites you can utilize should you go that route. I have had a few buddies use this site(as they have great warranties/upgrades that come in packages(depending on your budget): http://www.digitalstormonline.com/

+1 to what everyone else said. You can always ask questions of how to. You will learn and get more for your $$$

Check out a few of these: http://techreport.com/review/26747/tr-july-2014-system-guide

TR do a complete system guide every few months, and they're a great way to get a feel for how much you should be spending on RAM, graphics and the other parts. They basically build a system to a budget (actually four systems to four different budgets) with all the alternatives They're also a great starting point when you're building your own rig - start with one of their systems, upgrade a few of the components in your mind and post the list here so we can rip it to shreds.

Not so much motherboards, but between us we've probably got experience with any CPU/video card combination you're likely to pick. Or at least something close, so we'll be able to give you a very good idea of how well it will cope.

And don't load yourself up with a load of extras you don't need. I recently talked a friend out of building a machine with a bluray writer - anything like that can be added later on, when you actually need it, for less than you'd spend on it now. Same goes for printers, scanners, gaming mice, $100 keyboards and USB vibrators. Get a basic gaming system up and running with dirt-cheap peripherals and replace them when you start hating them. Also, a spare keyboard and mouse are very very useful things to have available and it's hard to make yourself fork out for them unless you need them - at which point it's too late anyway.

yes go the build ur own route for sure. I started building my own bout 5 years and its def they way to go. and like rails said on ur first just get the bare essentials for what your trying to run. my first build I was lucky enough to have some parts to work with from the old pc helped save some cash and replaced/added as needed when you do it ur self. say u really want 16gig of ram well 8gig will handle anything out there right now so don't go all out wait till ya get a lil extra cash and put what u expected to pay into something like the CPU or GPU. Mobos do make a difference im not sure how much other than for crossfiring sli what not. newegg is where I buy all my parts usually have pretty good combo deals on different parts. I can tell you that the CPU and GPU def go hand in hand. didn't not realize how much until I went from the 3.8ghz quad to the 4.0 8core with my HD7970 holy shit big time. anyway guess ive said more then I ment other than that I agree with building your own and yeah plenty of us here to help ya out

Not to kick the dead horse but +1 on the build. Really easy to do with all the guides on the internet nowadays and all the help you would receive here if you needed it. Hardest part is installing the os which has gotten much simpler with the last three windows releases. Just keep that mobo cd handy for essential drivers. One big thing I would point out is double-checking the standoff locations in the case for mounting the motherboard. You don't want to leave one on the case that doesn't go to a hole on the board or strange smelly things will happen.

So I figured if I put away $100-$120 per check (every 2 weeks), I could start saving up for a new desktop. Plus thank ya'll for the info and advice on this. I may spend alot of time on computers, but I don't know much about how they work lol. Would it be possible to purchase a premade desktop, get rid of all the useless programs, and then customize it? Or just stick with building a custom one?

Definitely assemble your own PC, save a ton of money, and not difficult with video guides/articles available for the popular hardware..

I would also make sure to get hardware with solid warranties for motherboard, power supply, and GPU - EVGA and Corsair have some pretty kick ass warranty periods from my experience.

So I figured if I put away $100-$120 per check (every 2 weeks), I could start saving up for a new desktop. Plus thank ya'll for the info and advice on this. I may spend alot of time on computers, but I don't know much about how they work lol. Would it be possible to purchase a premade desktop, get rid of all the useless programs, and then customize it? Or just stick with building a custom one?

If you buy a desktop instead of buying the components and assembling it yourself you will spend a lot more then you need to. Also avoid alienware and any other sites that assemble a "custom pc" for you, it's super expensive and unnecessary.

Yeah, if you build your own shit, you will only put the necessary things on by default, premade pcs have tons of crap you will never use, i.e. Magix for msi gaming computers

Yeah, if you build your own shit, you will only put the necessary things on by default, premade pcs have tons of crap you will never use, i.e. Magix for msi gaming computers
BUT, msi even allows for one to build a laptop by oneself, very many interchangeable parts in the gt and gx series

My current rig was my first build ever....let me tell you, I was nervous as hell...my only previous experience with hardware was swapping a couple sticks of RAM. I didn't know squat about computers....hell I still don't know a whole lot. But with a bit of research and asking a SHIT ton of questions and picking the brains of some TBG members for advice and experiences (thanks again @sixer9682 for the watercooling info), I was able to build a pretty solid machine.
Like I said, I started off doing research about components and how everything fits together and what it does...then picking up one or two components a month. Once I got everything together, I started asembly:)! Very rewarding to have something so powerful at your fingertips knowing you built it!

Not sure if they have option to build without an OS...that would be about as close as you can get. But I think for warranty purposes they install all your hardware's software, and can't do that without an OS, just something to check into should you not build it.

Back