Need some RAM help fellas

Irish

Retired Founder
Retired Founder
Built a new rig for my Fiance. I'm new(ish) to changing RAM to its rated frequency. I can't seem to get it past stock. Whatever I change dosen't seem to actually change. Any advice? Thanks guys!

40261766_229576224386911_520494128685907968_n.jpg

My understanding is that when you use an XMP profile it will auto select the frequency/latency. If you want to do it manually you're going to want to disable XMP. I had to do that with mine to get it to the proper frequency/latency.

See I had it set up with XMP and it still did not change. I'm new to "Overclocking" and I'm banging my head on this.

Yea I verified the memory is compatible 4 x 8gb DIMMS
See attached pic

I just found this handy "Beginners guide" that uses the same mobo. I'm gonna give it a whirl and see if that does it if not I'll be making a call to MSI
but any advice from everyone is still greatly appreciated.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=286610.0

Attachments

• pastedImage.png
    pastedImage.png
    63 KB · Views: 282
Try it with 2 sticks of RAM first; X370 platforms are kind of sketchy with 4 sticks inserted. BTW, what is brand and model of the memory you have.

Also, silly question, but did all of this sticks of RAM come as a package deal or are we mixing and matching here?

See I had it set up with XMP and it still did not change. I'm new to "Overclocking" and I'm banging my head on this.
What happened when you selected the XMP profile? Did it boot right up, restart a few times? How did you verify the speed did not change?

When I get home I'll get you the exact Corsair model. And it was a package deal on the RAM. All 4 are identical.

When I set the XMP profile it restarted a few times. Which indicated to me that it didnt work.

Thanks Six!

" Corsair model" And there's your problem ;)

Seriously, most Corsair is not Samsung B die which works best with the Ryzen 7 cpus.

Have you tried any other speeds besides 3200? For instance, have you tried 2933?

My wife's 1700x has Corsair (don't ask me which model) and I can't get hers to run at anything beyond 2933mhz. At 2933mhz it's very stable but try going a smidge beyond that and no joy.

If I remember correctly, Corsair was using Hynix for most of their memory and unless it's a Hynix A die then I don't think you'll ever get that running at 3200mhz. But....I would definitely try 2933.

Is there a specific need to OC ram in this day and age? Pardon my ignorance.

I tried the guide steps by steps and still not working...hmmm

Back