Need some help with Nighthawk R6700 Wifi Router

Irish

Retired Founder
Retired Founder
Anyone here have any experience with Nighthawk Routers?

I am really pulling my hair out on this one. When I get it set up the way I want it runs smooth indefinatley. Randomly out of the blue the wireless connection drops below 15 MBPS. My LAN will stay at 90ish MBPS. I have a 100+ MBPS connection. In order to get the speed back I have to restart the router. I have factory reset it multiple times and used the same settings as well as different settings (Basic stuff) and still experience the same problem. I have the latest Firmware V1.0.1.48_10.0.46.

I initially thought it was congestion since I live in an apartment complex. I switched from Channel 11 to Auto Channel. Same Issue. I turned off coexistance. Same issue. It is worth noting that my Father has the exact same router in a separate area (Town) with the exact same issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I had similar issues with my ASUS. I would recommend getting either a amplifier hd or eero. Yes, it is more expensive, but it's far more secure and easy to setup. I have 1 eero gateway and 2 APs around the house. Works perfectly.

I can tell you from daily work experience, any router and modem needs to be reset(power cycle) once a month....Also,when you mention having to switch from ch 11 to auto...I take it you are referring to 2Ghz...Have you tried to use your 5Ghz?
Another thing is that being in a apartment complex,you are very likely to experience noise interferrence from anything around your apartment..You be very surprised how much a microwave can screw up your wifi...If it seems out of the blue,I would be suspecting something in your general area is causing massive interferrence and causing all wifi to slow to a crawl.

If you can download something like WIFI Analyzer to your phone and see all the wifi routers all around you..If you fairly close to your router most of the time, I would personally just use the 5G.

I'd ask the ISP, too. I was paying for 500, but my wifi was capped at 100 - it was a router config, BUT it was not accessible to the end user.

With 5ghz, you should also try to get the router to NOT be behind a concrete wall as the signal has difficulties going through thick walls - both the pc & router should be in an open area.

I should clarify a couple of things (Sorry I was tired and angry when I first posted.)

I do typically refresh/restart the router once a month. I know it isn't totally necessary I just do it out of habit. But this slowdown issue is happening weekly. When I first set up my router I used Wifi Analyzer to see what channels are most congested luckily Channel 11 had little to no traffic. When I began experiencing these issues I switched it to auto to see if it would help. Still same issue.

I also forgot to mention that the router is right in the living room. So there is no barrier whatsoever between myself and the router. The only "extreme" place is upstairs directly above the router or if I rarely go in the garage. Even then I have full signal.

My initial research (later collaborated with @Soulzz) showed that the firmware may be the cause. Something with the newer versions is making the connection drop randomly. Many people suggested downgrading the firmware and it's been working for them for a long time now.

I did not want to do this initially but looks like I may have to.

Just before your last paragraph, I was gonna suggest rolling back your firmware, BUT you got this covered...:D

I myself am ordering the Netgear Orbi and retire my Nighthawk R6400..

Just downgraded the firmware with surprisingly no issues at all. Lets see how it runs for a week.

IF it happens again do a wifi scan of whats around you AT THAT TIME, IF you see the problem pop up again.....5 minutes or under you could have a cheap microwave screwing with your signal.....also if its in the living room your LED TV can also screw with the signal....

When you get tired of your nighthawk quit screwing around with homeowner wifi products, get you a unifi router, switch, access point(s) and be happy camper. I only reboot mine for firmware updates, works fine.

Who is your ISP? If it's Spectrum/TWC/BHN/Charter. Let me know, I can check out your connection.

I worked out the issue. Boiled down to be firmware and one channel from a neighbor was interfering. Now I have an older firmware and am in a new house. Have not had 1 issue since!

And yes I will invest in a Mesh network when this router kicks the bucket.

This neighbor asked me to come by and check out his wifi. Said he couldn't figure out why his connection wasn't working right. He has 3 routers stacked on top of each other Daisy Chained together. I asked him why he has 3. He said he was trying to boost the signal!

On top of that his CAT 5 was stripped to the wire. No shielding. Needless to say I gave him an earful and fixed his network.

That is amazing, I'm glad you were able to sort your problem and help your neighbor not cluster the local spectrum.

Back