Need some help guys!

Ratchet91X

Hey, I've spent the last week running diagnostics on my PC and even broke down and took it to the Geek Squad. They kept it for 3 days and said they found no issues with hardware and any problems with viruses and such. I then repaired BF3 and within 2 rounds I get a hard restart again. No blue screen just a restart and the start windows in normal mode screen. This problem is only occurring during BF3. If any one has any idea or suggestion on what coul possibly be the problem, I would love any feed back.

What OS are you running?
What other programs do you have on your PC?

What motherboard do you have? I was having a lot of problems like that myself up until a couple weeks ago. What I had to do was upgrade some of the firmware on the motherboard. I forget which but I think it was sound and video.

I was locking up getting rebooted like you sometimes bluescreened and it all stopped once I did that. I couldn't play on TBG servers every time I got in a game it would lock me up within a few minutes into the game.

Instant reaction is some kind of power or temperature issue. I'd remove and re-seat all the motherboard connectors before trying anything else. Possibly something's causing a temperature spike that's driving the mobo into oh shit mode.

They'll probably have done this, but it's worth gouging all the crap out of the fans and air intakes.

If it's a hardware issue it should crop up whenever the machine's under stress. Furmark is almost guaranteed to bring your system to its knees and confirm that.

If not hardware, then software. Remove and reinstall drivers, try closing down any crap in the system tray and see if you can link the problem to a particular app.

I believe I had the same problem. When I overclocked the CPU from 4.2 to 4.5GHz everything ran fine as long as I didn't play BF3. Once I entered in the middle of round. It would play for about two minutes then it did a hard restart with no BSOD. So I just knocked it down to 4.2 again. Now it plays fine again.

Sounds like a power issue to me too. If you have a microcenter or equivalent store in the area, pick up a decent power supply and see if that fixes it. If not, then you can return it.

a friend of mine had an issue like this, his problem turned out to be his wireless bluetooth head phones/mic. not sure if you are running bluetooth stuff or not but if you are, its work a shot.

Could possibly be bad RAM? Memtest86 is a good tool for checking.

Sounds like power supply to me too. I've had it happen before and had to replace it, also seen this caused by a motherboard slowly shitting the bed. Video cards never really caused a reset for me, they usually just started throwing fucked up video or none at all.

Hey guys, thx for all the tips. Before I could respond, guess what..psu took a crap!! After replacing it there were a few more problems that it caused that made my system unstable. Hopefully I've reached the last of my problems for now. Thanks again guys.

Test your GPU with FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net for an hour.

Test your CPU with Free Software - GIMPS for an hour.

If that is fine, it's probably a driver issue or something specific to BF3.

Hard restarts are usually either mobo or PSU related though... does it bluescreen when it restarts? What does it say (you can read it after it restarts in the windows error log in the administrative tools).

Also I LOLd at geek squad... money well-wasted right there IMO.

Back