Need Help

Farstar

I will be inheriting this pistol soon and I'm trying to Identify it.
32pistol.jpg

Its a .32 acp with liberty imprinted on the grip and a cougar head emblem.
It looks to be a later model of the "Ruby" handgun used in WW I.
SN 7918

Closest I came was possibly a Stroger .32

Any help is appreciated.

You mean Stoeger right? ..lol No worries on the name. It could very well be a Stoeger. It is indeed a "ruby" style weapon, but I'm having trouble figuring out the manufacturer. The ruby is based off a Browning design (as many guns are), but who or when yours was created would take some digging. The Ruby was made by at least 15 different manufacturers at various times since 1909 up until 1961 or 1963 I believe.

Are you familiar with taking macro mode pictures? If so there should be some stampings on the gun in different places or multiple stampings. If you can get me some cloose up pics of the proof marks (if any) I could possibly date the gun and the manufacturer.

I would like to point out that a buddy of mine came across a bunch of these at one time and all fired fairly well, but one was a runaway. We probably should have done a better job in getting them ready to fire, but be careful with these. They are known to do that once in a while.

Yeah I dont have it yet and as such I am dealing with family members that have absolutely no clue about firearms. Once I do get it Ill post more info.

I just did some more reading on it and you may never be able to identify it. Depends on when it was made really. If it was pre-WWI or during WWI then it might not have any identifying marks at all. Based on the pic I'm thinking it was post WWII though. That is just based off the grips and the name on them "liberty". I doubt the French were into quoting that particular term before the end of WWII. Grips are grips though and as such are easily changeable just as much then as today. Well more so today, but you get what I'm saying. The red identification mark (safety) would also place it post WWII, but that could be some overzealous parent trying to protect her kid for all I know..lol

lol...

Yes, but is it a $100.00 gun or a $100,000.00 piece of history?

The french are actually pretty big on liberty, and were so before the WWII.

French Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Old ideas about tradition and hierarchy regarding monarchs, aristocrats, and the Catholic Church were abruptly overthrown by new principles of Libert?, ?galit?, fraternit? (liberty, equality and fraternity). "
-Quoted the pertinent part from the article.

Either way, it is a piece of history and congrats! I am in the beginning phase of starting a WWII collection. I've got the easy one, a Mosin. My local gun store always has Garands, Mausers, Arisakas and Enfields up for consignment as well. A Thomson is going to be difficult seeing as I live in California. I'll most likely just get a CA legal replica. (I plan on all of my collection being shooters).

That's a pretty sweet little piece of history your going to inherit, once again congrats!

Just a guess, but it might be a BLK (BLR?) brand. Hard to read.

Heat if you're talking about on the grip thats where it says liberty

Oh, I can read it now. I can only guess it must be a "Liberty" brand. Or maybe it is an instrument of liberty.

Otherwise, it looks like a pistol, and the safety's off.

The french are actually pretty big on liberty, and were so before the WWII.

French Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Old ideas about tradition and hierarchy regarding monarchs, aristocrats, and the Catholic Church were abruptly overthrown by new principles of Libert?, ?galit?, fraternit? (liberty, equality and fraternity). "
-Quoted the pertinent part from the article.

Either way, it is a piece of history and congrats! I am in the beginning phase of starting a WWII collection. I've got the easy one, a Mosin. My local gun store always has Garands, Mausers, Arisakas and Enfields up for consignment as well. A Thomson is going to be difficult seeing as I live in California. I'll most likely just get a CA legal replica. (I plan on all of my collection being shooters).

That's a pretty sweet little piece of history your going to inherit, once again congrats!

enfields arre the SHIT!

Good luck... the ruby pistol was manufactured in mass quantity and by a multitude of small companies.... there is no other markings anywhere?

its got this french-italian look to it, might be from the spanish civil war when they really needed to stamp out shit like mad - might be russian aid to spain

Back