Need a New Gaming Headset

Straifer1255

So a few months ago my hyperx cloud 2s were damaged. I have been using my Bose 25s in tandem with my phone as a mic. Not Ideal but it worked. I just recently discovered that my company has tones of discounts that I have been missing out on and one of them is major discounts on Sennheiser products ($100ish off). With that being said, I want to get the GSX 1000 amplifier. I just dont know what gaming headset I want, I am conflicted between the GSP 500 (open back) and GSP600(close back). I would be willing to buy a headset outside of Sennheiser, as long as its under $130.

I have always played with close back and am not sure if I want to switch over to open. I have read many times that It helps pinpoint other players more easily. Do you guys recommend open?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Last edited:
opened back head phones can work fine as long its a quite environment...if you are gaming at home where its quite i would go with a set of the Grado 80's....they work great for music and games plus sell at around a 100 bucks....the only problem is they dont have a mic on them....for that i would spend 10 bucks on a cheap stand alone mic

info here
https://www.whathifi.com/grado/sr80e/review

i have had a set of the older 80i's for over a decade....they sound better then a lot of options out there that are in the 500 dollar range....IF i was you i would fine a place that has a good return policy and take a set for a week long test drive....

on a side note.....i come from a crazy back round of having a professionally trained opera singer for a mother and a father that spent 30 years building custom speakers....i have the same perfect pitch my mother has and i built my first set of speakers at the age of 8 hand winding the chock coils in the crossovers myself....i am anal about audio....FYI if you are nuts about audio as well this set is crazy good being run by a tube headphone amp....

I have a HD 250 I believe, around the ear. Outstanding quality and comfort.

went back and read up on the headphone amp you want to buy and its crazy....its using DSP to make up the surround field and NOT using a real dolby live or DTS ENCODER....(real world very few games support DTS but most support dolby live).... for real surround sound i can NOT find any true 5.1 or 7.1 headsets...i dont think you can get real surround set with a set of headphones....

this is a good read on it from what i can find...
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3268191/dolby-headphones.html

also found a claimed 7.1 set from logitech with the mic for 29.99 on sale right now if you order from logitech
https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-audio/g430-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset.html
dont know if they are any good but at 30 bucks VS the 90 they go for normally you could take a look

for me i use a sound blaster 5.1 USB PRO....the software with it has the dolby live encoding in it so i can dump a SPDIF in to my onkyo 7.1 amp....but my set up only has real surround sound with the speakers going....

oh and the grado's i talked about before will work with the amp you had in your first post....if you want to stick with getting that amp, testing each pair of headphones maybe something you have to do

I'm on my second set of Logitec G35 USB over the ear. I really love the sound quality and effects.

Sennheiser closed back if you want really immersive in game sound. Open back if you need to hear what's going on in your immediate environment, like kids, animals, a nagging wife, etc.

I have closed back ones and the house could fall down around me and I'd never hear it.

I have the Sennheiser GSP 350 and have no complaints about them. The thing i like the most about this headset is the ability to automatically mute the mic when you move the mic arm up.

Sennheiser closed back if you want really immersive in game sound. Open back if you need to hear what's going on in your immediate environment, like kids, animals, a nagging wife, etc.

I have closed back ones and the house could fall down around me and I'd never hear it.

Same.
I'm still rocking the Sennheiser PC 350 Special Edition head phones for the last 4 years.

I've been using razor kraken pro for many years now. Hi quality sound with games and music. Can also be used with aux plugs on stereo etc. Free surround sound pro dl from razor as well so you can adjust sounds accordingly and an eq.

Back