Need a Motherboard Suggestion

To save potential frustration (and this has never happened to me but just to be safe) put the mb on a cardboard box, install the cpu and memory, and connect the psu and fire it up to make sure it works before you go through the effort of assembling the whole case.
Never thought about doing this. Thanks for the tip

I'm sure the open box mobo will be fine. I just hate dealing with RMAing shit. That's why I stick with Amazon for pretty much any purchase. Instant refunds with in an hour or free next day air delivery for replacements. Thankfully I've only had to use their returns 3xs out of all the purchases I've made. Life long customer for sure.
I bought everything else through Amazon, I love my Prime account.

Just to add a bit more.... You made a great decision on that board. A few members here own that board including myself prior to selling my PC. So if you have any questions about the board toss me a pm or anyone else that you find owns the board. @sixer9682 helped me out when I got mine. You can also find my old threads I made about some of the features and OCing with it.
Thanks. My first project will be water cooling the GPU (if it's worth it).

With the 970 I wouldn't even bother water cooling it. I would just purchase a back plate. If you had a 980 I would highly suggest liquid cooling. The 980 runs a lot hotter than the 970 for obvious reasons.

What CPU/GPU are you running? @SlickSTi

Nothing very impressive but it still gets the job done.

Intel DX58SO MB
Intel Core i7 960
Geforce 680 GTX
8GB Corsair RAM
300GB Intel SSD for games and os
3TB for media

Its obvious in my next build I need more SSD space, faster GPU, and processor. I can probably recycle the case and psu. The DVD drive is a pita since I spilled beer on it the door sticks and binds so I have to pry it open almost every time I want to burn something. While I was at Fry's I also picked up a drive cage that will hold 2 SSDs and hotswap them like a server.

I also just bought an Alienware Area 13 laptop with upgraded core i7, high res touchscreen display, and most of the nice options. I'm taking it to work Friday with two USB controllers to have a Mortal Kombat X mini tournament. I can't wait. Thank god they brought back the 60 inch TV back into our room so I will hook it up over HDMI.

@SlickSTi With that build I would just wait for the next gen CPUs/GPUs to come out. Hopefully around that time we will see some badass next gen games. That is also what I am holding out for.

@SlickSTi With that build I would just wait for the next gen CPUs/GPUs to come out. Hopefully around that time we will see some badass next gen games also. At least that's what I am holding out for.

Yeah what I'm really waiting for is a single GPU card that can do 4K games at nearly 60 FPS. I've had a few dual GPU cards in the past and I really don't like the noise or reliability. Maybe if there is a game that really pushes the hardware I will dig in and get a 980 GTX or Titan. However I just don't see it. I can run pretty much every game I want at ultra and some of the newer games maybe half of that. What's funny about it is that turning up the settings actually adds in most cases more foliage that you can't see through. I can see that as being nice to look at on a 3dmark demo but isn't that a detriment in a pvp fps?

My shit is staring to feel stone aged. I might have to get a Nvidia Titan since that seems to be the baddest card currently. I'm just waiting a bit longer because I know the prices will plunge dramatically once they release something faster.
Titan? Seriously? That shit's over priced by a shit ton. EVGA's 980 Kingpin edition would be a better option IMO. All that aside, if you aren't running a 4k monitor I wouldn't bother; plus the 980-TI's are on the way next month supposedly.

Back