Need a Motherboard Suggestion

turbotoast

I'm building a new system, and need a motherboard suggestion. Here are the other components I have already picked. I would like to keep the motherboard under $200. I'm also open to any other suggestions/criticism of the build.

Processor: i7 4790k (will be using a Corsair H110 for cooling)
GPU: EVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0 4GB
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR3 2400MHz PC3 19200
HD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
PS: EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 80PLUS
Case: Rosewill Blackhawk

I'm building a new system, and need a motherboard suggestion. Here are the other components I have already picked. I would like to keep the motherboard under $200. I'm also open to any other suggestions/criticism of the build.

Processor: i7 4790k (will be using a Corsair H110 for cooling)
GPU: EVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0 4GB
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR3 2400MHz PC3 19200
HD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
PS: EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 80PLUS
Case: Rosewill Blackhawk

Well I stay out of building for intel if I can help it. I am an AMD guy to the end. But I when I was looking to cool my CPU I was looking at the Corsair H1XX coolers and found alot of negatives and problems.

This is what I ended up going with and I am very happy with it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106220

I used to go primarily with Supermicro. Then after trying some of the big names with other builds and ending up with a couple of fried CPUs I decided to go with Intel. My past 4-5 motherboards have been Intels and I haven't had a single issue. Although looking at Newegg makes me wonder if Intel stopped making MBs. There isn't a single one listed for LGA 1150. Hmmm yep found an article. They don't make them anymore. In that case I'd probably go with an Asus board of some sort. Maybe this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132125

Last edited:
I've narrowed it down to two boards. Now I just have to make a decision.

Either the ASUS Hero VII (little worried about open box)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132125R

MSI Z97 Gaming 7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...768&cm_re=msi_gaming_7-_-13-130-768-_-Product

I have an open box one from Newegg, and there' snot a damn thing wrong with it. It did have a scratch on the Northbridge, but I used touch up paint and you can't see it any more...but for the price difference what does it matter?

I have an open box one from Newegg, and there' snot a damn thing wrong with it. It did have a scratch on the Northbridge, but I used touch up paint and you can't see it any more...but for the price difference what does it matter?

Did your open box one come with the I/O panel? Newegg's site says it doesn't come with any of the accessories.

Did your open box one come with the I/O panel? Newegg's site says it doesn't come with any of the accessories.

Heh, I saw that too but it came with every damn thing from SATA cables, manual, IO shield, you name it. Of course, every open box might be different, but I have gotten a total of 3 from Newegg so far and the most any of them was missing was SATA cables while all of them had the IO shield, manual, CD, and USB cables. Newegg is pretty good about making sure you've got what you need.

To save potential frustration (and this has never happened to me but just to be safe) put the mb on a cardboard box, install the cpu and memory, and connect the psu and fire it up to make sure it works before you go through the effort of assembling the whole case.

I'm sure the open box mobo will be fine. I just hate dealing with RMAing shit. That's why I stick with Amazon for pretty much any purchase. Instant refunds with in an hour or free next day air delivery for replacements. Thankfully I've only had to use their returns 3xs out of all the purchases I've made. Life long customer for sure.

To save potential frustration (and this has never happened to me but just to be safe) put the mb on a cardboard box, install the cpu and memory, and connect the psu and fire it up to make sure it works before you go through the effort of assembling the whole case.

I have the same philosophy and on servers too. So many times I'm working with someone and I'm like hold on, don't put the lid back on yet until everything checks out. Worst time was with this stone age 6U xSeries server. Replaced the system board, put the lid back on, pushed it back into the rack and reconnected the rat's nest of no cable-management arm. Then saw the VRM sitting on the floor.

Just to add a bit more.... You made a great decision on that board. A few members here own that board including myself prior to selling my PC. So if you have any questions about the board toss me a pm or anyone else that you find owns the board. @sixer9682 helped me out when I got mine. You can also find my old threads I made about some of the features and OCing with it.

My shit is staring to feel stone aged. I might have to get a Nvidia Titan since that seems to be the baddest card currently. I'm just waiting a bit longer because I know the prices will plunge dramatically once they release something faster.

Back