My new Video Card

built 2 systems with 2070's in the last month.....to me i cant justify the price for the performance as ray tracing is a joke like hair works and physx....real world without consoles support ray tracing is going to die like physx.....you have at most 5 games that support it now and not good odds of getting a ton more as it will be for only high end PC users....you look at GPU numbers you will find out real quick that only 3 or 4% of the PC market can run ray tracing......why would a game maker spend millions making for the tech when so little of only one market can support it???....IF it gets out to the next gen of consoles we will see tons of games with it but the fact it may not get to consoles for next gen could push the tech off for 5 to 7 years

built 2 systems with 2070's in the last month.....to me i cant justify the price for the performance as ray tracing is a joke like hair works and physx....real world without consoles support ray tracing is going to die like physx.....you have at most 5 games that support it now and not good odds of getting a ton more as it will be for only high end PC users....you look at GPU numbers you will find out real quick that only 3 or 4% of the PC market can run ray tracing......why would a game maker spend millions making for the tech when so little of only one market can support it???....IF it gets out to the next gen of consoles we will see tons of games with it but the fact it may not get to consoles for next gen could push the tech off for 5 to 7 years

All of your questions and concerns can be answered by anyone who has paid attention to the industry the last 20 years. Before PhysX how many APIs had cross vendor GPGPU support for physics or otherwise, how about now? I've been waiting 21 years since the first time I read about dedicated hardware support for ray tracing. The only way CAD software, API implementations and competing vendors are going to bring it to market is if one puts it out a few years early. This time it's technically not 100% proprietary and AMD will be bringing a competing solution under an existing API. Nvidia has taken the necessary first step and AMD fans don't have a reason to complain about it.

Ray tracing is a minor feature to what RTX GeForce and RTX Quadro brings. But everyone both happy and mad latch onto pretty much that one thing because of advertising. 0 of those 5 games actually use ray tracing to render the game. It's just minor effects. Turn it off and be happy that one day this moment will have brought whats coming. Despite accounting for up to 50% of their profit, gaming gpu's are a by product of their professional products. Producing common core designs keeps the profit margins in the professional space higher.

People who aren't even remotely in the market for an upgrade are whining like crazy for what reason? I know there are some compulsive upgraders out there. I personally dont like to spend more than $350 and I do ray tracing on CPU quite often. It pretty much narrowed me down to the RTX 2060. AN RX 590 is a tempting savings but no. Vega 64 can probably be gotten on sale. 1070 doesn't make any sense. 1080 generally not "refurbished/used" isn't in that price range. I will be excited when a renderer I use can do even 1 FPS on my card.

Final note, the PhysX engine is available on PS4 and XBox One and yeah thats AMD hardware lol. Can't tell you anyones using it.

I can't wait for Ray tracing when implemented fullt.

All of your questions and concerns can be answered by anyone who has paid attention to the industry the last 20 years. Before PhysX how many APIs had cross vendor GPGPU support for physics or otherwise, how about now? I've been waiting 21 years since the first time I read about dedicated hardware support for ray tracing. The only way CAD software, API implementations and competing vendors are going to bring it to market is if one puts it out a few years early. This time it's technically not 100% proprietary and AMD will be bringing a competing solution under an existing API. Nvidia has taken the necessary first step and AMD fans don't have a reason to complain about it.

Ray tracing is a minor feature to what RTX GeForce and RTX Quadro brings. But everyone both happy and mad latch onto pretty much that one thing because of advertising. 0 of those 5 games actually use ray tracing to render the game. It's just minor effects. Turn it off and be happy that one day this moment will have brought whats coming. Despite accounting for up to 50% of their profit, gaming gpu's are a by product of their professional products. Producing common core designs keeps the profit margins in the professional space higher.

People who aren't even remotely in the market for an upgrade are whining like crazy for what reason? I know there are some compulsive upgraders out there. I personally dont like to spend more than $350 and I do ray tracing on CPU quite often. It pretty much narrowed me down to the RTX 2060. AN RX 590 is a tempting savings but no. Vega 64 can probably be gotten on sale. 1070 doesn't make any sense. 1080 generally not "refurbished/used" isn't in that price range. I will be excited when a renderer I use can do even 1 FPS on my card.

Final note, the PhysX engine is available on PS4 and XBox One and yeah thats AMD hardware lol. Can't tell you anyones using it.

i get it....you have to put it out there for people to start using it.....but NgreedyA really screwed this up with little to no support at the start......to me bringing it in to the market it should have more support then 5 games only high end PC players can run.....will the tech get better yes...but will it still be a factor in 5 years to get the tech AND the support for it there???...that is always the question in the tech world....in 5 years we may have something better...the other factor of the tech industry

it almost seems like they should have done ray tracing on the pro cards first and let the tech get a lot farther on before bring it to the masses for gaming

and why are you against used GPU??? i have not bought a new one in over a decade for my personal use....my used 1070 is doing just fine and i only paid 250 for it over 20 months ago.....the 1080ti's i bought used for costumer's computers have not given us any issues.....i am about to buy a used 2080 for a new build from the request of the customer....should i spend 900 on a new one or take the one i can get for 600 off of craigslist???.....i am going to save the 300 bucks with the used card....\

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/sop/d/clearwater-geforce-rtx-2080-founders/6814484434.html
this ^^^^^ is the card i am going to buy if its not sold by sunday.....if i cant get this one i will buy a used MSI sea hawk 2080 that i can get for 700.....

last i am not a fanboy of ether AMD or NgreediA.....i will buy what ever works and my personal needs wont matter when i am building 100's of custom computers per year....i am not going to tell someone wanting a whole AMD rig to buy NgreediA or vise versa ....

to give a clue this is what a normal week looks like to me.....
IMG_20190208_221402.jpg
IMG_20190208_221808.jpg

it almost seems like they should have done ray tracing on the pro cards first and let the tech get a lot farther on before bring it to the masses for gaming

and why are you against used GPU??? i have not bought a new one in over a decade for my personal use....my used 1070 is doing just fine and i only paid 250 for it over 20 months ago.....the 1080ti's i bought used for costumer's computers have not given us any issues.....i am about to buy a used 2080 for a new build from the request of the customer....should i spend 900 on a new one or take the one i can get for 600 off of craigslist???.....i am going to save the 300 bucks with the used card....\
to give a clue this is what a normal week looks like to me.....

Normally I would say the problem is common cores but they also sell roughly 10% of their gaming stock to data centers. They can't push out another round of Pascal cards so It's Turing from here on out. The Non RTX Turing cards will be mostly from defect stock. Both AMD and Nvidia have been known to cutdown non defect stock to meet demand. The Tensor cores are present for things like DLSS. Why cut out the RT cores because they aren't super useful?

I certainly wouldn't buy a used 2080 unless the warranty is transferable. I would assume you probably have read more than me. But apparently cards are failing and being blamed on one of the memory manufacturers. I have 0 GPU failures from new. My record for truly used GPU's isn't pretty. I do have a couple of old review samples still in service.

Right now I am buried in everything from pentium 2 to skylake. I don't get the pleasure of working with the latest stuff most of the time. Once my 5170 clone case is done I am thinking of doing an Altair/IMSAI style Z80 build. I like to keep myself busy with half finished projects lol. I do get requests for builds but just like I don't like to work on other people's cars I rarely touch computers outside of work.

bruh.... that's more than my mortgage for the month.
And that puts it into perspective right there.

Why would I spend more on a GPU than I do for my mortgage, homeowners association fees, trash pickup, county property taxes, and home insurance for a month? That money goes a lot longer for me at home than in a GPU.

And that puts it into perspective right there.

Why would I spend more on a GPU than I do for my mortgage, homeowners association fees, trash pickup, county property taxes, and home insurance for a month? That money goes a lot longer for me at home than in a GPU.
Damn, fuck NY I live upstate and shit its like a little more than 2k a month here to live at the poverty level. Perspective is spot on.

Normally I would say the problem is common cores but they also sell roughly 10% of their gaming stock to data centers. They can't push out another round of Pascal cards so It's Turing from here on out. The Non RTX Turing cards will be mostly from defect stock. Both AMD and Nvidia have been known to cutdown non defect stock to meet demand. The Tensor cores are present for things like DLSS. Why cut out the RT cores because they aren't super useful?

I certainly wouldn't buy a used 2080 unless the warranty is transferable. I would assume you probably have read more than me. But apparently cards are failing and being blamed on one of the memory manufacturers. I have 0 GPU failures from new. My record for truly used GPU's isn't pretty. I do have a couple of old review samples still in service.

Right now I am buried in everything from pentium 2 to skylake. I don't get the pleasure of working with the latest stuff most of the time. Once my 5170 clone case is done I am thinking of doing an Altair/IMSAI style Z80 build. I like to keep myself busy with half finished projects lol. I do get requests for builds but just like I don't like to work on other people's cars I rarely touch computers outside of work.

cutting out the RT cores now would be stupid because they already let it out to market.....and i do know tons of people out side of gamers buy gaming GPU's as they offer better bang for buck when going cheap then getting any of the quadro cards for stuff like auto cad systems, cheap editing rigs and now 3d printer rigs...but i still think it has been rushed to market with little support for the first gen....

and i feel you on the on the 2080's dying....i am watching that about what one i buy.....but for me i have never had problems with used equipment....i have bought and sold pallets of computers over the years without many issues other then a bad memory stick or a bad power supply here and there....on the GPU side of things my 9600GSO was the last card i bought new for personal use in 2008 or 09.....every card after has been used with no issues....but i never buy without someone showing me the card works first and running a stress test on it like the rendering app in GPU-Z.....

as for what i work on it could be anything from a vista laptop to building a dual xeon based workstation for upwards of 10 grand....2 months ago i got to build a 32 core thread ripper work station that made me cream my panties....(my 4670k in my gaming rig is getting old).....i get to play with every made in the last 15 years for the most part and trying to tell old people that a dual core Athlon system from 2006 should be scrapped is hard some times...never mind reporting the child molesters when i find kid pics on their computers (has happened more times then i want to admit and i know more then a few people in the local DA's office because of it) but i still like helping people as much as i can....

Back