Just getting some opinions...

RimGreaper5000

Ok, so Best Buy was having some cool sales this week, and the woman and her daughter have been bitching for weeks on end about the slowness and general inferiority of the "other" computer - a very antiquated Dimension 2200.

So I decided it was time to upgrade myself and them, and everyone wins - especially since my video card, sound card, and PSU are all getting ripped out of my current rig and getting put in the new one.

Now, the new computer specs will be as follows:

Phenom X4 9550 2.2GHz
Vista X64
6GB Ram
512MB GT+OC 9800

Now, I'm really hoping to alleviate some, if not all, of that God-awful slowdown that my current setup only lets loose at the most critical time - the titan. When there are 30-40 people bunny hopping, blowing up RDX, 'nade spamming, PK rocketing, and shooting aimlessly in that one little area - I'm told that I can blame my current processor (Athlon 64 X2 2.5GHz) for my "lag-from-hell" issues. So, with this new setup, what might I expect (in your opinion)?

Oh and one more thing.. is there any "worth it" overclockability with this cpu?

HP a6720y (and these newer models come with a laser mouse - was kinda surprised)
HP 2009m 20" Widescreen LCD monitor
Some POS printer

$720 (and there's no interest for 18 months).

So, when I went back to Best Buy to swap out my box (they gave me the wrong one with a 1.8 GHz cpu), the kid was like "you're not gonna see any difference between a 1.8 and a 2.2" - Asshole didn't know who he was talking to. Now, I installed BF with the 1.8 and still had some lag on the titan (but way less than my old machine) on Sunday.

Last night however, there was NO lag on the titan with a full server with the 2.2 . Issue resolved. He tried to get me to spend the upgrade money on their "protection plan" - as did about 6 other people (like this is their bread-and-butter income or something). Whatever.. if something breaks, I don't need the "Geek Squad" to help me, I'll fix that shit myself. I wish people would realize that if you have an internet connection and you can read, you fix just about anything, instead of relying on "geeks".

On news for the last two days. They said it was cheaper to do it yourself or your local geek. Then do it at a repair shop or Geek Squad. DUH! Really!

Gee, I didn't know that! Thanks for the valuable information SHITSQUAD!!! :D.

It's only nice in case of a major hardware failure; but other than that its for people that don't have a >>>>>>CLUE

I agree with soulzz about "geeksquad". My wife asked a easy question and the dude didn't have a clue.

Back