I believe I might need a harddrive

ErikStenger

My harddrive more than likely died. I tested my gfx card first by using my old one and still did the same thing. Everything turns on but nothing comes on the screen. If you agree that it's the harddrive died. Then what's the fastest harddrive and solid state drive. If it's the graphics card then what's the best AMD and Nvida card to run BF3 with.

not a thing happens when you turn your computer on? does a system beep occur? if your hdd was busted post will still render on the screen. it sounds more like a processor issue

Screen is black when I turn it on but everything turns on but you don't hear the harddrive boot but the light on my case shows HD activity.

Unplug the drive and retry. Your system should boot but it'll report a missing OS and the like. While you're at it, disconnect the rest of the drives too.

Unplugged the HD and the samething happens. Nothing. The bootup screen still doesn't come up. Samething happens everything lights up just without the HD. Plus I did with my old gfx in.

Nope. I turned off the PSU, hit power button on the case and MB lights are still on. So I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Now it's completely off when the PSU is off now. When I had the PSU turned off but still plugged in the computer still turned on.

I removed the battery and waited a minute and put the battery back. It's the samething happens. Pressed the reset button for the bios that's on my MB. The. samething happens. Still think the PSU is fried.

How old is the board? It is possible the battery could be dead too.

It sounds like your MB. But, you can always get a PSU tester to check that too since they're cheap. But, I've had the same thing happen twice with different builds and both times it was the motherboard. 2 years old or not, it sounds like your MB is fucked from what you describe.

I had a PSU blow on me and the MB would still turn on. Let me back up a bit. When it blew. I was playing, It went strate to a dark screen of nothing. With all the lights getting bright and it almost made a high pitch sound. Put in a new PSU and the damn thing still worked. Well all but one PCIe slot not working(The one that had the sound card on it).

Also had the button battery go out twice on a ABit MB. Both times the flash screen would come up but wouldn't load to Windows.

Did you try jumping the CMOS? I would try changing out the battery and jumping the CMOS.

In a previous comment I already played with the cmos and bio's button's and jumpers. I bought a new PSU today at Microcenter and will install it tomorrow. I've had the PSU that's in my case now for 5.5 years now. Before I forget I looked up what causes a blank screen when you power up. 90% mentioned a fried PSU and a unseated processor.

The other 10% was probably bad RAM and a bad motherboard. Usually a bad CMOS battery just means that your clock resets or settings aren't saved.

Sounds like a bad PSU to me, but I drive a truck for a living so yeah you know...

The PSU needed to be replaced anyways.The new PSU cured one problem of the old PSU was still being able to be turned on when the PSU is off. Next the battery is going to be replaced. If that doesn't work I'll replace the MB.

Back