How safe is online counseling?

muggingstick

I remember I mentioned about my brother who has a lung cancer sometime December or January. It's so depressing especially on his part and we considered getting a professional help. Unfortunately, due to series of treatments for the past few months, he wasn't able to get some help. Now that he has more free time, we would like to take advantage of it. I suggested before to consider an online counseling because this will be less stressful for him. It will save time and energy of course. All he has to do is go online and have a convo with the therapist. However, he's worried about the security and privacy of his information. So now I wanted to get your feedback. Do you think e-counseling is safe and can assure privacy?

If you are going with any counseling, go with a licensed therapist. Don't go cheap because it can bite you in the ass, and you don't know what you're getting into.

If you are going with any counseling, go with a licensed therapist. Don't go cheap because it can bite you in the ass, and you don't know what you're getting into.

Hi Soulzz. Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, we googled a few top companies that offer e-counseling and we're checking for reviews, related cases, and success stories. We hope to choose the best of course so that the privacy will not be compromised.

I agree with Soulzz. Find a counselor in person. I've tried the e-counselor route with no success. Better to talk to a real person who you can get to know more intimately and can eventually trust. Not someone you just see through a webcam.

I guess it would depend on if he is comfortable being there in person. My buddy just couldn't get comfortable in the office enough to really talk to his counselor. He now uses Skype from his house for meetings. He said it allows him to open up more and not feel so singled out.

I guess it would depend on if he is comfortable being there in person. My buddy just couldn't get comfortable in the office enough to really talk to his counselor. He now uses Skype from his house for meetings. He said it allows him to open up more and not feel so singled out.

You got a point there. considering that my brother is not the type of person who would just blabber about his personal life.

Back