HELP! Is my WAN port dead?

lol.. it was so off topic.. that's why i didn't want to say anything.
Sorry, I'm usually better about catching that. My fault.

@akapeacemaker debate is fine, but it completely derailed from the original subject, my apologies. Didn't even notice until it was waaay off-topic.

So, after a little more research, I seem to have a configuration problem. I tried a different router and I'm still not connecting. Seems like the MAC address of said router is blocked by my ISP.

Supposedly, the way to get around this is to clone the MAC address of my PC which has no trouble connecting to the internet (I think this was mentioned as a solution earlier). The problem is, how the hell do I change the MAC address of my router to that of my PC if I can't even get into my router settings?!?!? Anyone have a solution?

I'm not sure why they would block your router. Seems silly.

What is the brand, again? Have you tried escalating to Tier 2./3 support?

I read the article.. it sounds promising. try it out.

It seems like this problem is quite common. I power cycle my router from time to time. Perhaps the last time I did that the router/ISP did not behave correctly and I'm now stuck. it's a NETGEAR Nighthawk.

This is one of several articles I've read on the subject.

https://tektype.wordpress.com/2012/...connect-to-the-internet-your-isp-is-to-blame/
It's funny you mention that.

I do use a mesh system (eero), but I have noticed that when Charter (now Spectrum) does maintenance on their poles, it can make my internet drop 2-3 times a week. And yes, sometimes it doesn't auto-recover (power cycling).

I'm not saying you should have to spend 350 minimum to have a stable wireless connection. It also depends on what range you expect to get our of it. What is the square footage of your apartment/house?

I don't know if your router is super sensitive like that.. but if you don't have the budget for my recommendation, a solid choice is TP-LINK or ASUS. Anything between 120-150 in my book.

The problem I have at the moment is that I am not able to get into my router settings. If I can do that, I believe I can clone that MAC address and be good to go. Any ideas guys?

What is your router's model number, normally there is a default IP and password you can enter.

Netgear Nighthawk R6400v2. Therein lies my problem though. I can't even reach the router login page.

Netgear Nighthawk R6400v2. Therein lies my problem though. I can't even reach the router login page.
Can you message me on discord?

I have a few ideas but I need to assume nothing. Have you literally done a hard reset?

try logging into your router while directly plugged in pc with a wire, then in browser: for me its 192.168.1.1

my sister just called me with a relatively new(7 months) nighthawk router, it bricked, gave her my 3 yr old asus backup and it works fine. Basically she called netgear CS and they told her she has to pay like absurd amount of money so they can troubleshoot it and maybe a remote chance of fixing it. she gave me the 200 dollar like new POS router with its box. and i intend to swap it in maybe a store that starts with W and be done with it

I personally have 2 nighthawk xr500 (1 new for 300 one used for 50 :))
those have been nothing but perfect over a year now, never even had to restart them. consistent AF.
I do believe most netgear stuff fail in the software part, good luck man

Get a paperclip and hold the reset button for 15 seconds, let it reboot and then do it again. A little redundant but this will help clear any software issues on it.

I have pressed the reset button for the 10-30 seconds it takes to reset, yes. When I try to get to the router login page I get a "could not connect" error. I tried calling the ISP today and I got just what I expected. They answered, it's your router not our modem. I think I'll try again tomorrow when I'm home from work. I just want them to reset my connection. Maybe that will help. I basically need to start my inet setup from scratch I think.

@akapeacemaker this is why I said PM me or message on Discord. I can help you. It's easier through that.

All you need is your routers model number or default IP address when factory reset.

Problem solved!

Turns out it was a configuration issue. Per Soulzz, I tried unplugging the the modem then the router in quick succession, waiting 10 seconds, and plugging both components back, in order. This finally allowed my router to communicate. Funny how pressing the reset button didn't work. Neither did my original attempt at power-cycling. This quick unplug, replug did though. My WAN port now has a white LED and is working again.

@Soulzz Thanks again for the help!

Problem solved!

Turns out it was a configuration issue. Per Soulzz, I tried unplugging the the modem then the router in quick succession, waiting 10 seconds, and plugging both components back, in order. This finally allowed my router to communicate. Funny how pressing the reset button didn't work. Neither did my original attempt at power-cycling. This quick unplug, replug did though. My WAN port now has a white LED and is working again.

@Soulzz Thanks again for the help!
I've seen that we all over complicate steps, and I am guilty of this all the time.

Glad to help where I can! :)

I don't think this step helped, but we also switched his DNS to Google. Just for faster name resolution, just in case.

I'm glad OP got his problem sorted but Soulzz is right, if you can afford it it is better to have broken out/disparate network devices. In my home there is a cable modem, a ubnt router, a ubnt switch, a couple of smaller switches, computers, and ubnt access points on the ceiling in a few areas. This solution kicks ass however if you can't wallfish or don't have any wallfishing friends it can get expensive especially if you have any exterior walls that are a bear to fish through, or no attic or crawlspace to exploit. In my experience local alarm companies are the best way to get it fished if your time is too valuable or you don't know wtf.

This also implies you own your home, idk many landlords that would be ok with residential tenant fishing wires and conduit all up in the walls everywhere. The objective is to wire up everything that rarely moves around in your home so that your local spectrum is clearer for the devices that do move around and maybe don't even have a lan hole without dongle hell.

Last edited:
At this point every time I switch between wifi and ethernet on my pc i have to do the quick unplug and replug of the modem . Every time. But at least it works.

That's bizarre in the extreme, however you can obviate this by using a desktop that doesn't even have wifi in it lol.

Back