GOT MY 580 FINALLY!

DEATH

Thanks to sixer found a real good deal on a gtx 580. Just paid for it and the guy is doing 2 day shipping for free. So it should be at my house by Wednesday.

Question I have is - should I get another PSU? My current one is 650W and I oc'ed my cpu to 4.0ghz...atm.... I'm planning on OC'n the 580 - should I get a 800W psu?

Future I'm gonna have the 580 watercooled also fyi.

Yes you need to up your PS, I run a 1100 and two GFX cards barely fit under that.

Your gonne need at least an 800w to run that and the OC and the watercooling but I would run nothing less than 1000w. I would get a Ulta series, they are modular and they have all the connections you will need. I dont even know if the 600w you have has two 8pin outputs.
I run a 1200w, but this is a super deal on a 1000w and lifetime warranty.
Ultra U12-40841 X4 Gold Edition Modular Power Supply - 1000W, ATX, 80 Plus Gold, 135mm Fan, SLI Ready, CrossFire Technology, Active PFC, Vibration Dampener Included, Lifetime Warranty w Registration at UltraProducts.com
I'd actually suggest this one: Newegg.com - SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Modular Power Supply

Why that one, its more money and no lifetime warranty and ulta makes the best stuff.

Why that one, its more money and no lifetime warranty and ulta makes the best stuff.

Ultra doesnt even make power supplies. Ultra's PSU's are made by Andyson, SevenTeam, Wintech & Youngear. The X4's are usually made by Andyson. A lifetime warranty is usually a gimmick to get people to buy stuff they otherwise would not touch.

Seasonic on the other hand is designed and made by Seasonic. Some of us trust them very much. 5 Year warranty is enough for me. But a couple of the models have been rebadged as Corsairs and if you get it from them instead its a 7 year warranty.

Antec, Corsair, Coolermaster. None of those companies make power supplies. One of corsairs manufacturers is Seasonic. FSP is a really good one that alot of brands use to make their stuff. Now to go deeper into detail Seasonics actual production units are made in a Chinese factory like any other. But atleast under their supervision and quality control instead of a 3rd party.

#1: Direct from the source. Seasonic designed, Seasonic built, Seasonic warranty. Seasonic is also the OEM for a variety of other companies including Corsair and Antec. (Corsair was historically Channel Well Tech & Seasonic and Antec was usually Channel Well, Seasonic, & Delta.)

#2: Superior +12V rating: the Seasonic promises 83 amps while the Ultra promises only 75 amps. (A 900W Seasonic is equivalent to that 1kW Ultra.)

#3: A 5-year warranty is plenty. That Platinum-1000, however, has a 7-year warranty.

#4: That's 80 PLUS Platinum--a step above Gold. Further, we know for sure that it's a real Platinum unit because it was Seasonic who had it certified.

#5: Ultra, like Tigerdirect, is a Systemax brand. Effectively, it's TigerDirect's house brand--not unlike Newegg's Rosewill.

#1: Direct from the source. Seasonic designed, Seasonic built, Seasonic warranty. Seasonic is also the OEM for a variety of other companies including Corsair and Antec. (Corsair was historically Channel Well Tech & Seasonic and Antec was usually Channel Well, Seasonic, & Delta.)

#2: Superior +12V rating: the Seasonic promises 83 amps while the Ultra promises only 75 amps. (A 900W Seasonic is equivalent to that 1kW Ultra.)

#3: A 5-year warranty is plenty. That Platinum-1000, however, has a 7-year warranty.

#4: That's 80 PLUS Platinum--a step above Gold. Further, we know for sure that it's a real Platinum unit because it was Seasonic who had it certified.

#5: Ultra, like Tigerdirect, is a Systemax brand. Effectively, it's TigerDirect's house brand--not unlike Newegg's Rosewill.

How do I unlike this post? I have never had any problems with my Ultra so eff off:)

How do I unlike this post? I have never had any problems with my Ultra so eff off:)

LOL. I dont think anyones slamming you for it. I have had good luck with my dollar store cell phone charger!

But PSU's is serious business. Any brand can sell you one that might fry your system or burn your house down. But there are certainly less risky brands than others.

As Tom's says if you dont like our advice buy a fire extinguisher too. I am not saying there is anything with the companies that make Ultra's PSU's but one of them made the Be Quiet's that had a history of blowing up. They switched to FSP because of that.

Season makes great PSUs, they also make the XFX ones for them. I like Enermax too, they make their own as well and they are both rock solid and quiet as hell. They both cost a little more, but you get what you pay for; also check out Cougar-German company that makes their own and gets great reviews.

Season makes great PSUs, they also make the XFX ones for them. I like Enermax too, they make their own as well and they are both rock solid and quiet as hell. They both cost a little more, but you get what you pay for; also check out Cougar-German company that makes their own and gets great reviews.
You mean HEC? (Overclock3D :: Review :: HEC Compucase Cougar 1000CM Modular PSU :: Conclusion) OC3D says it's actually out of ATX specs for voltage ripple. On the other hand, they've apparently fixed it. I'm personally waiting on JonnyGuru to review it: they have the best PSU reviews IMO.

Buy A Corsair PSUs. Even a 750W will be enough imo... No need for the highest-end shit. Their "TX" (I think it was, the "mid-high" end) line is great. Silent and solid.

ebay I got lucky sixer linked it on the chat box =( If I find a good deal again I will post it. Ive been looking for such a deal since july lol.

Just check ebay for the the "buy it now" options, somebody's always looking to dump those for some quick cash at a good price. I thought about getting that too, but I really don't see the point right now.

Back