Gaming Rig

muggingstick

PC-Master-Race-2019-1.jpg

I'm planning to build my gaming rig exactly according to these parts. Any thoughts whether this will do or do I need to replace some parts on the list. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

How soon are you building and what's the budget?

AMD is dropping new cpu's and GPUs in October so prices will adjust for stuff already on the market like Ryzen 3000 cpus ; plus you might find better performance for about the same price as the 5700XT. Unless you really need to; I'd hold tight for the remainder of the month and see what's out there upon release of new products. Otherwise, looks good depending on your monitor resolution and the games you play.

Congrats on your upcoming build. @sixer9682 gave you some great advice on the upcoming AMD prices, and I'd recommend you upgrade you power supply to a 750 or 850 watt model because the new video cards are quite power hungry, especially if you overclock them. If you grab an EVGA power supply for the EVGA store, I can hook you up with a 10 percent discount and they have a 10 year warranty. It should last you for many computers into the future. :)

Here's the 850 watt https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-GA-0850-X1&associatecode=XX95PJN1T76IONP (10 year warranty)

And here are a couple of 750 watt supplies

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-GT-0750-Y1&associatecode=XX95PJN1T76IONP (7 year warranty)
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G3-0750-X1&associatecode=XX95PJN1T76IONP (10 year warranty)

Use code XX95PJN1T76IONP at checkout for an extra 10 percent off nearly everything in the EVGA web store. Motherboards and graphics cards get a 5 percent discount.

Good luck with your new system!

Last edited:
as both @JoeLeb and @sixer9682 have said new stuff is coming...WAIT....prices have gone up on everything on the current 3000 series....my 3700x is now selling for 325 when i paid 275 for it 6 weeks ago....the 3600 is going for 200 bucks when its sold at 160 for months.....so CPU prices are up right now for some reason even when they are always in stock...

the video card is OK and will play a ton of games but we have tons of new cards coming from both makers....AMD is about to dump their line up and we should know about them by the end of this month.....NgreedyA is releasing more of the 3000 series....even if you dont get a new card things like 2080ti have dropped in price...i just picked up a used 2080ti for 300 bucks used....no i am not keeping it, its going in my old rig to sell to a friend that is coming from a AMD 955 CPU with a GTX 570....but my point is clear....20 series cards will be dirt cheap and if you go this way getting a something like a 2070 or 2080 should be easy

last....the power supply.....i have always gone after good power supplies because way back in the day when i started building i had a cheap power supply fry a new computer that was less then 2 weeks old.....since then many things have changed in power supplies....its easy to find a well made PSU that will last now....just buy something with a 10 year warranty.....EVGA and seasonic both make great PSU's with 10 years warranties....i would go with a 750 watt at the min....this way you have head room and can upgrade without getting rid of a PSU.....850 watt would also do well but it might push the budget as they can cost a extra 50 bucks more then 750watters

I would def hold off if you can. AMD just announced the 5000 series club's today. And they beat intel across the board now.

Also they teased the 6000 series radon cards, based on the performance figures, it performs at the same level as a rtx3080 at 4k gaming.

Very interesting stuff! The full reveal for the new radeon card will be later this month.

Nice! How is the fan noise on the mainboard? That thing is the main reason I went with B550...

Nice! How is the fan noise on the mainboard? That thing is the main reason I went with B550...

so you went with a lesser motherboard over a fan you cant hear???....mine never spins up past 1500rpm and most of the time is stays off as its temp controlled....i dont know when its on without looking at the RPM chart in monitoring software....FYI i am not running that mother....i am running a ASUS TUFF X570 ....but all of the X570 mothers have a fan on the south bridge....

I dont need that many lanes and small cheap fans fail often and are hard to replace because they re non standart.

How soon are you building and what's the budget?

AMD is dropping new cpu's and GPUs in October so prices will adjust for stuff already on the market like Ryzen 3000 cpus ; plus you might find better performance for about the same price as the 5700XT. Unless you really need to; I'd hold tight for the remainder of the month and see what's out there upon release of new products. Otherwise, looks good depending on your monitor resolution and the games you play.

Thanks for your recommendations, Already following it and trying to fit my budget.

Back