DVI, S-Video, HDMI, HDTVout, VGA????

C

cjjeans

Ok so my EVGA GTS 250 has two DVI ports on it and one HDTVout...
I am looking at this 22 inch monitor that has D-Sub, DVI, HDMI, SPDIF out

Is it as simple as DVI to DVI?
Is the quality good? I wouldn't mind finding DVI to HDMI if there was a def quality difference.

The last monitor I have every hooked up was VGA and that I'm sure of. Years ago...

I found DVI to HDMI cables and think I will be happy doing that at a couple bucks more.
Any Thoughts?

I'm not sure that DVI to HDMI is the same quality is HDMI to HDMI. DVI to DVI is still loads better then VGA ;).

I use DVI to HDMI adapter + 35' (foot) HDMI cable to watch high def movies from my computer to my HD TV. The quality looks great. I only have stereo sound, but that is sufficient for my needs.

If you need HDMI to DVI adapter I recommend:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=1041902&p_id=2029&seq=1&format=2

main website has good quality cables for cheap.
http://www.monoprice.com

I don't think there is any degradation between dvi to dvi or dvi to hdmi since they both are digital. Though hdmi carries audio, which you shouldn't care because its for your monitor only.

I copied this from:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html

[blockquote]As DVI and HDMI connections become more and more widely used, we are often asked: which is better, DVI (or HDMI) or component video? The answer, as it happens, is not cut-and-dried.

First, to clear away one element that can be confusing: DVI and HDMI are exactly the same as one another, image-quality-wise. The principal differences are that HDMI carries audio as well as video, and uses a different type of connector, but both use the same encoding scheme, and that's why a DVI source can be connected to an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, with a DVI/HDMI cable, with no intervening converter box.[/blockquote]

Later.

Thanks Jaws that was very helpful.
I'll stick with DVI to DVI cause the sound is via 35mm plug anyways... If I go DVI to HDMI i still wont have sound.

dvi = hdmi as far as video goes (hdmi supports audio).

usually the graphics card has just dvi. reason being, its a grapichs card. now, some are coming with hdmi because thats where all of the monitors/tvs are headed.

dvi on TVs is dying out because tvs need sound. monitors typically have dvi because its assumed you will have external speakers/sound card.

soon, it will be just hdmi.

Yeah i'm buying a monitor with speakers... going to use it as my bedroom entertainment center (when the g/f and i lay down to watch movies or whatever) Aside from that - there wont be any sound needed unless i'm wearing my headset.

I bought a gold plated HDMI cable from monoprice a few months back for $18; the same cable at best buy or any other store would be $50 and up, such a rip off. HDMI is the way to go.

Have DVI cable on my computerl, and HDMI cables on my entertainment equipment.

[quote1238641721=balls2dawall]
I bought a gold plated HDMI cable from monoprice a few months back for $18; the same cable at best buy or any other store would be $50 and up, such a rip off. HDMI is the way to go.
[/quote1238641721]

actually there are lots of differences between HDMI cables. besides the hdmi version number, each cable is rated for different speeds. basic or wholesale cables are generally 1-5gbps, monster rocketfish, belkin, and others are often rated higher. monster has been 12+gbps for a while.

the biggest issue i have with using cheaper cables is compatibility. if i use a "stantard" hdmi from a bluray to the tv, it might work ok. however if i use two of the same cables to go from a bluray to a reciever to the tv... i could loose picture but still have 5.1 sound. if i keep the same setup but use a rocketfish (UL CL2) hdmi, the hdmi switching will work.

as far as bandwidth goes, buying a better cable is like buying more street lanes for traffic to flow down. bottlenecking can cause pixilation, A/V sync issues, and general image degradation. plus the heads fall apart easy if they get pulled funny.

i know retail prices and i know what cost is. however, id buy a monster cable before any "cheap cable thats just as good". maybe from ebay or newegg. if i paid "$x" for an hdtv/monitor, and more $$ for bluray, directv hd, hd graphics cards... im not going to blow it with a cheap cable.

i make hdmi runs over 75 ft quite often and it does matter. no, you dont have to spend $120 on a monster 3.3ft HDMI for your ps3, but buy somethingg a little nicer. middle road is still a step over cheapies.

im just telling you what i see from "real world" every day.

if im building a houes and i have a choice of running a $20 35ft hdmi or a $150 35ft hdmi that i know will work, ill run the $150. especially when the bravia projector for $5000 depends on it.

same thing for hdmi switching, i know 3 brands that will work every time and i know 12 that wont.

I can understand if its going to buried behind a wall, ran through ceiling joist / floor joist. Replacing cables like that are proven and worth putting in; plus, a little future proof. For a home pc or audio system that might require 15ft or less an above average cable from monoprice would surfice.

Back