dsl vs. cable

roth140

right now i have cable internet from comcast which is 16Mbps at $44.95/mo. i can step down in price with DSL and get:

Connection (up to) 512k/128k ($9.95), 12k/128k ($21.95), 4Meg/800k ($29.95), 4Meg/800k ($49.95), and 4Meg/800k ($69.95).

i have to call and ask on this, but there is an offer for: DSL EXTREME with up to 5Meg downloald/2Meg upload
available for $10.00 extra per month on Basic, Pro, or Elite packages

for money reasons id be looking at the 4Meg at $29.95. is there an drop in connection quality for gaming? im concerned with getting a high ping. i dont need the 16Mbps unless im downloading large files, which i dont.

if its going to hurt online gaming ill stay with cable, i just hate giving my cable company any of my money (i moved to DirecTV HD a long time ago, F cable tv).

I have dsl, barely notice a difference. Except maybe my ping went up 5-10 but nothing to really care about. :D

You'd have to find out where the CO is located (nearest DSL hub). If it's within ~5 miles I'd get it. The farther away you are from the CO the less you will get out of your connection.

Example:

You live 10 miles from your CO. Your advertised speed is 5 Mbps down/2 Mbps up. You get 2 down/512 up.

Whereas if you live ~5 miles, preferably -3 you will get the advertised speeds. After a certain point you wont be able to get the connection anymore.

For cable it's pretty much how many people use the service in your area. Believe it or not 16 down is excellent. We pay 80 bucks for less then that.. so yea. :|

I pay 114 a month. For 8 mbps 1 meg,phone,tv. i get the HD and digital channals. With dsl youll always get full speed.But with cable has faster speeds but only full speed when nobody in your neighborhood really not watching tv.

I have both Cable and DSL. With DSL you are going to get the same speed all the time (for the most part). With Cable you work off a Node and the node has X speed (seems like enough to give 1 out of 10 of its customers full speed) and if you are first in line you get the most speed, the further down the line you are the large reduction in speed you get. DSL tends to offer better pings, but Cable will offer better download speeds. If I could get 5/2mb DSL without having to pay for the $50/mo phone service and just get the $20 DSL I would in a heart beat. Right now we pay ~$60/mo for 5mb/512k Cable and after 5pm my pings go from 40s and change to 180-500, unplayable. So if you can get a trial for DSL I would highly suggest it.

I went from DSL to Cable because my net kept cutting out. I thought it was the router... it wasn't. It was my connection beyond the modem. I am so happy with my Cable - like a pig in Sh*t.

I get the 15 Megabit down and 5 up also. I love it. Downloading movies and games and progz at 1600 kb/s is great. $39.99 for first year and 45.99 after that with time warner.

there shouldnt be any drop in gameplay you really dont need a great connection for low ping just a consistant connect with little variations. Cable and dsl differ mostly in peak time gameplay thats when u will get the highest ping. I actually play on wireless!! I have no difficulties maintaining a ping of less than 50 even during peak times. So if i were you the dsl would be a great route but i would suggest keeping your cable up till you have tested the dsl during gameplay at peak and non peak hours and check your ping during these times. At least if you keep your cable up and running you will have no downtime if the dsl doesnt work out. Good Luck

Back