Dead Mobo?

sixer9682

Okay,
So I switched my compuer to a new case yesterday and when I hooked up the power got no response. After checking the wiring, putting everything back in the old case-same problem. Nothing.

I checked the PSU with a tester and got no response from it.

I replaced the PSU today, hooked up the power and....nothing.

I then disconnected everything except a case fan-attached to mobo and tried it again. Nothing with the CPU power and the mobo power connected.

I disconnected the CPU power leaving only the mobo 24 pin connecter, tried the switch and...nothing. Here's where it gets interesting. Same thing, except I touched a small screwdriver to the pins that connect the power switch from the case and the case fan started up and kept going until I killed the power. When I hooked up the cpu power again-even with the cpu cooler attached and the cpu cooler fan connected to the mobo-no repsonse. The only time I get any response is with the screwdriver and having only the mobo power connector attached.

I even replaced my cpu iwth my older one, which I know works and has been sitting in it's box, and got the same results. :fisting

I think the mobo is fried somewhere, any opinions?

I?m not a big tech wizard but it could be that you MOB is grounding out to the case? I had a similar problem with an older machine where if you moved the board it would run then releasing pressure would kick it off again. Anything touching (that?s not supposed to) will short the board. Check all your clearances and mounting locations. I ended up using the little mount cushions/plastic like spacers which solved my issue at the time.

SgtDeadred.

I think your Mobo shorted... I could be wrong though. It seems like you did a pretty thorough check..

sounds like grounding; take it out of the case and put in on some non-conductive surface. See if it fires up; when you touched the screwdriver you made the ground..so I'm guessing it a ground problem and not a fried MB.

Thanks for the responses. I checked several times about the grounding. That was my first thought, and when I tested with the screwdriver, the MB was out of the case (on a non-conductive surface). That's why I think it's fried.

Some power-on settings are stored in the bios. Did you try to reset the bios? in most mobo you have to take out the battery and move a jumper for a minute or so, and that clears the bios to the factory defaults. I've never saw a corrupted bios doing anything like that, but who knows... anyways, I think it's fried.
... and I know how you feel...

Ok well test the PSU with a paper clip... (Green pin to a black pin) to make sure that is good. Then take out the MB and put it on a wood or a ESD bag if you have one, use your screw driver to connect the power pins, having everything connected and see if it fires up. Could simply be a bad power switch. If you already tried all that sorry. (BTW the paper clip wont shock you as it is the -12v lead and I've tried it a few dozen times.) If all else fails it could be the mother board. Though I go threw find that if it is a cheap PSU that is the best place to start.

. . 032
sixer mobo
.sorry to ear that ...that was a new mobo you had there ??? SUCKS 038

Yeah, I also tried the Power reset switch on the motherboard and nothing changed. I tried that when it was in the case, out of the case and nothing. At any rate, it does seem like its shorting out somewhere. The motherboard is about a year old now, and PC Power & Cooling are adamant that the PSU dying would not cause damage to the MB. If that didn't do it, I don't know what did.

At any rate, Newegg had an open-box of the same mobo I have for cheap. I ordered that. (I'm not paying another $250 for an X48) and we'll see how that goes. If the open box motherboard is a nightmare, I'll just go ahead and build a new system with an I7 processor. After all, if I'm going to pay $250 for a motherboard, it might as well be the next generation and not the older one.

I know my board has a switch near the rear LCD where the keyboard and mouse inputs are. If my switch is pushed the board will not turn on at all. I'm not sure if your board has something like that?? It's just a thought

No, mine is a little button near the bottom right of the board and nothing is there except for the power switch/reset wires beneath it. It's not like anything can accidentally press up against it-especially when it's not in the case and is sitting on a cardboard box! Thanks for the thought though.

I had the same problem about a year ago on m2n32, Six. The damn thing wont start up, I checked and rechecked every damn thing, and still nada. I end up getting a new board after days of frustration. My advice get a new board and save you some aggruvation.

I got a replacement for my MB today so I'll set it up and hopefully that will take care of things. The other one is going back RMA. 033

Back