CPU Overclock

acgmacht

I'm running an i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz right now, and was told to overclock that to about 4 GHz by someone on the NVIDIA forums. Any idea how to do this? I've decided -not- to go with a third 580 because I'll only be playing on one monitor, and 3-way SLI would just be overkill, so I'm going with a new 1200 watt power supply and a CPU overclock, but I know shit all about overclocking. If anyone knows how, or has already overclocked their i7, I'd appreciate any help/advice you can give.

You have to be very careful @ OC'n anything. Just a warning.

I learned how to OC via youtube. since your motherboard is diffrent in mines and your cpu. I really dont know the limits (how far I can push your cpu).

Try googling your mother board + cpu and + overclock - to see if someone posted a video on how to OC your cpu. Thats how I learned. Patience is key. Try to do everything to the letter. and check to see if your Motherboard supports a fail safe mechanism meaning if you OC and your comp shuts down cause its unstable will it reboot with default bios settings so your cpu doesnt burn out.

What is your goal and what practical gains do you expect as a result? Why do you feel the need to OC your system? What board do you have? Most higher end 1366 boards come with OC software which should allow you to hit 3.4 - 3.6 without any issues. What kind of cooler are you using? Heat management is a big issue when it comes to OC'ing your CPU.

I find that a lot of people want to OC their system because they read about it all the time but the truth is that most people won't really notice a difference in their everyday computing if they already have a higher end system such as yours...

The main reason I want to overclock anything is because I'm running dual GTX 580s in SLI, and feel like I'm missing out on performance. I recently fixed a large part of my problem by disabling HTEP and Hyperthreading in the BIOS, but I'm still reading around Battlelog and the NVIDIA forums that other users are averaging in the 80-120 range constant, where there are times when my frame rate dips into the 50s (a rare occurrence, but it happens nonetheless).

I was able to overclock by i7 950 to over 3.8 GHz, but noticed a -decrease- in performance with VSync enabled. I'm not sure if I even overclocked it properly, since all I did was edit values in the BIOS until my CPU host frequency was 3800+ MHz. I tried upping the voltage (didn't know how, or what, to adjust), and ended up having to reset the CMOS via removing the battery. I'm running stock right now, since the performance I was getting before trying to overclock was fine, I was just curious as to how other seemingly identical systems can destroy Battlefield 3, where I only come close.

Edit: What I would like to see is a constant frame rate above 60. Anything below 60 I can tell the difference, and it affects my gameplay. If I can maintain a steady 60 frames per second no matter what I'm looking at, I'm happy.

I managed to overclock my CPU to a little over 3.8 GHz without fucking with voltages. Runs exceptionally well, averaging between 70 and 100 frames per second on every map on Ultra. Still a few areas where, if crowded, I may dip to the high 50s, but I can't complain. If there are any other tweaks/hardware fixes/upgrades you can think of that will help get the most performance possible out of my system, let me know!

No, but after overclocking my CPU, I decided to fire up Afterburner and overclock the shit out of my GPUs. Ran a quick round of Caspian Border, and fell in love all over again. Not a single drop below 65 frames. Absolutely loved it. Normally, my minimum on Caspian would be something like 45 when crossing those open fields. Not this time. Silky smooth frame rate from start to finish. I think I've got it all settled. I just need a new PSU to support any additional overclocking I may do, and an LED monitor to go with it!

Try disabling that fucking HBAO in your video settings under Custom in BF3. If you're still not happy with the frame rates, drop some of the anti aliasing or just lower it a bit and you'll see dramatic differences. I was getting 55-60fps and by disabling that retarded HBAO and turning down the anti aliasing it doubled the frame rates to 95-100 now.

Sixer we got to try again this weekend to OC my CPU

Back