Computer UPDATE!

C

cjjeans

I have recently tried to sell my computer on EBAY and Craigslist... I had been "scammed" approx. 10-15 times. Word of advice - don't ship internationally (especially to Nigeria). Every scam email contained the same generic story about the buyer being out of town and unable to view the "item" locally. They would like your PayPal info asap so they can make the payment. Oh and by the way I'm including $150 to have the item shipped to my son in Nigeria. LOL

So... The good news is I have sold my laptop for cash to a local! I settled for $50 bucks lower than I really wanted to go. I was fine with that after all - he wasn't trying to scam me. Talk about the price you pay for peace of mind.

Here is the new setup (hopefully) Going to review the CPU and MOBO combo...
- ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
- SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black IDE Model SH-S222L
- TRENDnet TEW-623PI 32-Bit PCI Rev. 2.1/2.2/2.3 Wireless N-Draft Adapter
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders
- Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
- CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
- COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Computer Case
- EVGA GeForce GTS 250 01G-P3-1155-TR Video Card
- Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W Power Supply
- ASUS P5Q Pro ATX Intel Motherboard
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

You're a smart guy, CJ----when I first got an internet store, those jokers from Nigeria drove me nuts with fraud!

CNN says the top fraudulent countries are: Yugoslavia, Nigeria, Romania, Pakistan and Indonesia

...and I might add to NEVER use the Mexican postal system for anything.

You should have seen their PayPal confirmation emails. They looked pretty official until you look at some of the underlying urls and masked email addresses.

*DONT CLICK ANY LINKS WITHIN THE PHISHING EMAILS"
Forward your fake paypal emails to spoof@paypal.com and delete it immediately. If it turns out being legit - you can always re-request the money. Better to be safe than sorry. I figured eBay would be safe... HAHA! NOT!

They didn't get anything from you did they ceasefire?
As a seller you dont have to provide a tracking number or ship anything until you have received payment. Double check your paypal account to make sure the funds are there! Do not base your paypal funds off of any email that says "you have funds!". I was so unaware of the scams until about 2 months ago. I didn't think it was so RAMPED until I tried to sell this computer.

I lost money to online store ordering with fraudulent credit card from Nigeria. Everything is legit until about 2 months later when the credit card company takes the money back from the merchant. Money gone, merchandise gone. (helmets)

A Mexican fussed at me for sending a book to him by post office. He's the one that said they steal the mai!

...and another hoax! NEVER buy that insurance that protects you from credit card fraud in case someone steals your cc number and uses it! They are selling NOTHING. All you have to do is complain to the credit card company and they take ALL charges off your account. Everyone thinks that's really nice of the credit card company --- NOT!
The credit card company doesn't lose a penny, you don't lose a penny -- the money is taken back from the MERCHANT (the one who ran the card)--in my case--ME! The people selling that insurance are making money and selling NOTHING.

I received a very mysterious telephone call one day. The person said that an order was just placed in my online store from Nigeria and it is fraud. He said he wasn't supposed to be telling me, but he had seen them order from me before and wanted to tell me. I kept asking "Who is this? How did you know?" I checked my online store--Nigeria order there which I tossed in the trash. I still wonder today -- WHO was that caller? The government? It surely wasn't the credit card company.

We tried to get a fraud-card-user arrested through the cc company. Told them the address and everything -- the cc doesn't care! They have no fraud dept, they don't investigate, they don't prosecute. Why should they? They aren't losing anything---the merchant is the one losing.

People think they are ok when they see money in their Pay Pal account as payment....they are NOT...Pay Pal also accepts credit cards as payment, and the money can be taken back, just like a credit card transaction.

Ebay hoaxes I've seen also include an official looking letter about an item you bought (usually for very big bucks) that you NEVER even saw before. There are links and information to enter about your account if you DID NOT make that transaction....it is simply trying to get your account information, including PayPal account info. Just ignore them.

This is huge! I would love to pass this information on to a news syndication of some sort. This could make national headlines! Might even push the CC companies to do a bit of "protecting" their clients!

Credit Card companies suck bigtime -- it's worse.

Know those great points you get on some credit cards for travel, or for points to redeem for free gifts? Nice of the cc isn't it?---NOT

When I, as a merchant, run on of those "rewards cards" the credit card company takes 3.3% of that transaction, compared to only 2.25% on a non-rewards card. Therefore, to cover themselves, merchants had to increase their prices by the difference to cover costs. The money to pay for those great gifts comes from the MERCHANT, not the cc company.

And people wonder why prices are rising? THERE IS ONE REASON!

Once again, the cc company looks cool and the MERCHANT takes up the slack--but the bottom line YOU PAY.
The old saying "You never get anything for free!' Is so-very true. Bottom line: You and everyone else pays for those "free gifts"

It is official I have purchased my parts today!

1 x ($23.99) DVD BURN SAMSUNG|SH-S222L 22X LS % - OEM
1 x ($86.99) MB ASUS P5QL PRO 775 P43 RT - Retail
1 x ($44.99) CPU COOLER ZALMAN|9700 LED RTL - Retail
1 x ($114.99) CPU INTEL|C2D E7400 2.8G 775 RT - Retail
1 x ($49.99) WL ADPT TRENDNET|TEW-623PI 300M RTL - Retail
1 x ($59.99) CASE COOLERMAS|CAC-T05-WW BK/SL RT - Retail
1 x ($159.99) VGA EVGA 01G-P3-1155-TR GTS250 1G R - Retail
1 x ($104.99) PSU OCZ|OCZ700MXSP 700W RT - Retail
1 x ($59.00) MEM 2Gx2|CORS TWIN2X4096-8500C5 R - Retail
1 x ($74.99) HD 250G|ST SATA2 7K ST3250310NS % - OEM
1 x ($99.99) MS WIN VISTA HM PREM SP1 64BIT 1PK% - OEM

Payment Summary:
Subtotal: $879.90
Tax: $72.59

Total before S/H: $952.49

I don't trust credit card companies. Only card I use is my bank card.

I hate credit cards as well. You never can go with paying only minimum.

Back