Comments and advices for a new computer setup...

Eddie

Well after almost 3 months of dealing with my crappy MoBo i can not fix it so i decided to build a new one keeping some of my hardware ... but i may switch to Intel this time..any idea for a nice and smoth setup of components would be a great help to get a PC with better performance...this is the list of components that im keeping:

- 4 Gigs of Memory Sticks (Dual Channel)
- A BFG 8800GTX OC 764 MB's
- 800 Watts Power Supply
- 4 HD's (2 SATA and 2 IDE)
- 2 DVD burners and 1 Blue Ray Drive (SATA)

Sadly i dunno what to do with my CPU ( AMD AM2 6400 X2) nor if any of you have a good MoBo that might work with it would be great..cause i tried all those new ASUS mobos and all gave me so many painful nights lol

Why u need 2 DVD burners? o_O

It's not bad. You going with Vista or XP?

Also go with intel, get like a quadcore intell.

Actually the 9950 Black Edition phenom and a cheaper motherboard offers comparable performance to a q6600 in a lot of applications (especially overclocked), for a reduced price... but it's up to you. Look at articles.

Something to keep in mind as well, intel is coming out with new processors I think (nehalem?!?) and there are already pics of a new intel chipset as well (X48??) so... if you want to go cutting edge maybe wait a couple of weeks...

Prices may fall too, for current enthusiast class hardware.

I'd recommend getting an Intel Mobo. It's much better performance. I'd get a Core 2 Duo clocked at 3.0 GHz as you don't need a quad core. I would do some research on the mobo. I recommend P35 and X38 chipsets.

Intel shmintel... if you look at this the q6600 is comparable to the 9950 BE... that is, at default clocks.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3344&p=15

You can easily overclock the 9950BE to 3ghz, most people seem to be able to do 3.2. I'm not sure what the q6600 does, but it may be higher.

Of course, if you want the best performance period, spend $1000 on a uber-extreme-WTFLOL-1337 edition of an Intel processor and $400 on a motherboard, but if you look at cost-benefit, you can get a 9950BE for about $175 and a pretty nice mobo for it for around $150, which I think is cheaper than a q6600 with a comparable motherboard... but not much.

Personally, I'm just kind of a fan of AMD, because they're the underdog, and I'm becoming more and more tempted to get a 9950BE and a midrange mobo to replace my slowly aging socket 939, Opteron 170 setup.

Personally, I'm going to see what intel is going to deliver in their shortly coming new chipset/proccy release and what effect that will have on the prices of their previous(now current)-gen products... and how AMD will respond, before making any decisions.

I'll probably end up getting an AMD proccy/most likely DFI or MSI mobo for christmas though... we'll see.

P.S. Note that Battlefield 2142, Crysis and most current games receive negligible (less than 5%) to zero benefit from multi-core processors, i.e. even if you get an octa-core setup (two quad-cores), you'll get roughly the same frame rate as a dual or even single-core processor at the same clock speed, assuming all else equal (memory speed, engineering "generation," chipset, cache, etc.)... so the choice is yours. For future-proofing, I'd personally buy a quad-core today. If not for current games, then for future games, and for things such as video/audio processing/compression, etc. if you do things like that.

[quote1223770223=HeatSurge]
Intel shmintel... if you look at this the q6600 is comparable to the 9950 BE... that is, at default clocks.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3344&p=15

You can easily overclock the 9950BE to 3ghz, most people seem to be able to do 3.2. I'm not sure what the q6600 does, but it may be higher.

Of course, if you want the best performance period, spend $1000 on a uber-extreme-WTFLOL-1337 edition of an Intel processor and $400 on a motherboard, but if you look at cost-benefit, you can get a 9950BE for about $175 and a pretty nice mobo for it for around $150, which I think is cheaper than a q6600 with a comparable motherboard... but not much.

Personally, I'm just kind of a fan of AMD, because they're the underdog, and I'm becoming more and more tempted to get a 9950BE and a midrange mobo to replace my slowly aging socket 939, Opteron 170 setup.

Personally, I'm going to see what intel is going to deliver in their shortly coming new chipset/proccy release and what effect that will have on the prices of their previous(now current)-gen products... and how AMD will respond, before making any decisions.

I'll probably end up getting an AMD proccy/most likely DFI or MSI mobo for christmas though... we'll see.

P.S. Note that Battlefield 2142, Crysis and most current games receive negligible (less than 5%) to zero benefit from multi-core processors, i.e. even if you get an octa-core setup (two quad-cores), you'll get roughly the same frame rate as a dual or even single-core processor at the same clock speed, assuming all else equal (memory speed, engineering "generation," chipset, cache, etc.)... so the choice is yours. For future-proofing, I'd personally buy a quad-core today. If not for current games, then for future games, and for things such as video/audio processing/compression, etc. if you do things like that.
[/quote1223770223]
AMD may be cheap in comparison to Intel, however, you are getting much more performance out of Intel chips these days with the new Core 2 architecture. You may not want to get a quad-core. I'd recommend getting a Intel E8400, $169.99 on Newegg - 45 nanometer and 3.0 GHz. I've heard from various sources that you can overclock this thing to 4.0 pretty easily on air cooling.

[quote1223786061=EvilCutie]
her is what u need

http://www.kissmyfloppy.com/pages/pictures.php?id=88&cat=all
[/quote1223786061]
Lol Evil....youre funny..:) well Heatsurge i know you think that the best option could be a 9950BE and sadly i tried this setup with a ASUS mobo best deal that costed me over 450...first i tried with a M3A79-T Deluxe and it failed with bue screens and was because the mobo didnt support a CPU higher like that so i needed a updated PBC wich i never found on their site so i had to return that mobo...then i tried with a Asus M3A32 MVP Deluxe Heatpipe and had the same issue maybe it was because i had no idea when and how i had to update their PBC...so this one was returned as well... Now im wondering if i should try an Intel with an Intel Mobo because i never had an Intel before (im a AMD user since 2001) or just stay put and get a Branded computer wich is gonna suck in a month lol..Soulzz if you have a good setup please bring it may be the last solution to my problems :)

The setup I would recommend is any of the X38 or P35 chipsets provided by EVGA, ABIT, MSI, GIGABYTE and ASUS. While some may not agree with my selection, this is based of experience from sites, friends and my own experiences.

The motherboard you choose is up to you but I think I've provided you the information that you need to select one.

As for the CPU, get an E8400 and save yourself 100 bucks form the E8600. You wont regret this purchase.

:D.

I would go with intel chipsets. AMD is more for gamming but a lot of there recent releases were released to keep up with intel. So not much changed in them as in intel much has changed and improved.

I couldn't say AMD was not as reliable as Intel myself, because I haven't had a single problem with them. Last pentium I had was a Pentium II Klamath 266mhz. Then I started buying AMD exclusively... can't remember what the first one was ... 1700+?? Then I had a 2xxx+ or whatever it was (Barton core I think), then the opteron 170 that I currently have. I've used mobos from Asus and currently on DFI with no problems whatsoever...

I think once you prime and memtest your system (at the same time) for a while and it checks out fine, you should be fine. I've been running BOINC in the background on my computer for years now, doing seti@home, rosetta@home and world community grid, and therefore my current processor is always at 100% on both cores, heavily overclocked (2.7ghz when 2.0 is the default)... no problems at all.

Personally, for the same price (~$170) I'd rather get a quad-core rather than a dual-core, even if the dual-core is fabricated on 45nm and is higher frequency... just personal preference though...

Eddie BTW you probably got motherboards which didn't support 140W processors or not AM2+ or whatever it's supposed to be... the 9950BE is quite power-hungry. Maybe you just had bad luck - it happens to all computer parts once in a while. If anyone's buying a 9950BE make sure the mobo supports 140W to supply the proccy with power. Also, they just received a 125W version of the 9950BE at newegg I think, for the same price, so look into that too I guess...

I support soulzz on MSI/Gigabyte mobos, not sure about the rest. Asus hasn't been too overclock-friendly from what I read here and there lately, but I haven't been reading too much. In general, don't go really cheap on the mobo, because you will most likely regret it if you want to OC (i.e. up the memory voltage etc.)... if you don't want to OC you may be just fine getting the cheapest that has the features you want...

AMD may not be on the cutting edge in innovation or on the top on performance, but they aren't competing on that. They're competing on price/performance. They actually stated that in their strategy at the beginning of this year I think when intel started kicking their ass with the core2 architecture... if I remember correctly they said they'll let intel have the crown in performance, but will be competitive in the midrange.

If it were up to me, I'd buy these two if I wanted to buy right now at this moment:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136044
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103285 (oem because I already have an aftermarket cooler)

The mobo is basic and aging (south bridge has been improved but new mobos with the new one cost more), but it's cheap and does an awesome job from what it seems like... pretty nice quadcore setup for $289 imo, that you should be able to overclock to 3.2ghz quite easily. Again, the above is coming from me with bias towards AMD so... the decision is up to you really.

I'd probably wait on the X58 mobos coming out in a few months. They cost$$ about 400-450 average, but with Intel's new processor coming out and better exploitation of ddr3 it would be worth the wait.

I fried my P35 mobo earlier this year and got an X48 to replace it-noticeable difference in speed. Plus, I like having the option of SLI or Crossfire instead of being limited to just one graphics card. Check out the PC Power & Cooling PSU as well. They cost a little more, but after having two fail on me, Seasonic and Antec, I've had no problems with this one (750 Silencer) and it is soooo much quieter than just about anything on the market. Then again, I can't stand a noisy machine-a clear indication I spend too much time on PCs...sad.

Yaaah like I mentioned above, I'd wait for Intel's new shit. If it's too expensive for you, the old shit will come down. It's coming out really soon...

I have a REALLY high opinion of the corsair 650w PSU as far as PSUs go btw. Quality written all over it and extremely quiet.

Speaking of the X58 chipsets, I saw triplet memory packages at newegg DDR3 1GBx3. I'm also seeing more memory, including DDR3 1600 running between 1.5 and 1.7V. to run with the new cpus coming out soon. Good stuff. I'd like to get some of the DDR3 1600 at the low voltages.

i have the asus m3a32 with a 6000+ dual core, over clocks to 3.4 ghz no prob. I want to try it to 3.6 sometime though. Haven't gotten around to it yet.

Back