Charter Communications to Rev Up Consumer Broadband to 60Mbps

Soulzz

Founder
Retired Founder
Source: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/charter_communications_rev_up_consumer_broadband_60mbps

USNews's David LaGesse reports that Charter Communications is about to 10-up its high-speed rivals Verizon and Comcast by rolling out a 60Mbps broadband service (Verizon and Comcast currently offer 50Mbps in some markets).

There are two ways to get this level of speed:

* Fiber to the premises (FiOS), used by Verizon
* DOCSIS 3.0, used by Comcast and now Charter.

In addition to supporting much faster speeds than its predecessors, DOCSIS 3.0 also supports IPv6, channel bonding, and support for IPTV.

While it's great to hear that more cable Internet customers will soon be able to get faster speeds, many commenters on the original article are doubtful that Charter can provide reliable 60Mbps service (full disclosure: I'm not in any of these companies' service areas, so I don't have a dog in this fight). If you're currently using one of the 50Mbps services, how is it working for you? If you're in Charter's service area, are you ready to move up, or would you rather have a different provider? Hit Comment and tell us what's on your mind.

It should be nice if they don't take your leg along with your arm for this...

i found out here a new comcast customer pays $75 a month for 16Mbps. I am an old Insight customer on a discount paying $35 a month and i think thats too much.

I pay 54.99/mo. for 20 down 5 up. Though I could get 20down 20up for $64.99/mo. which I may switch to shortly.

If i was really rich I would get 50 down/ 20 up for $139.99 /mo.

Back