Changed guitar a little

sixer9682

I got tired of having the pick guard on my Blueridge scratched and ugly looking so I changed it out today with the help of a hair dryer, a pie scooper, and some naptha.

See what you think.

Before:

BR40.jpg

With the pickguard off:

28490375104_ee60e023da_z.jpg

New pickguard added:

BF40 new pick guard.jpg

nice guitar. i like the dalmation tortoise, definitely adds to the vintage vibe. it's amazing the value BR puts into it's guitars, i mean bone nut and saddle with vintage Gotoh butterbeans, that's a $300 upgrade for most guitars.

Yeah, I"m constantly amazed by the Blueridge. I'm kind of in awa of how well they build these guitars. I got this to be the beater but damned if it didn't quickly become a favorite :)

Good job, it looks nice with the new guard.

The pie scooper scares me a a bit around such a nice instrument. If you ever try that again on another guitar, I wonder if dental floss wouldn't be a gentler alternative. That's what you use to remove things like dealer badges off a car to cut through the adhesive without harming the paint and the clear coat. But hey, if it worked, you're good to go.

If the old guard was just scratched but otherwise attractive, there are products like Scratchx and PlastX from Meguiars that are also good for making things look nice again. Or even Meguiars Ultimate Compund.

Nice looking end product, though. You did well, congrats.

Nah, just removed it because I wanted something different and the old one was scratched to hell. The pie scooper was easy to use with a light tough and did not scratch or damage the finish in any way. Floss might be better, who knows?

@sixer9682 damn nice guitar for a beater. what else is in the arsenal? i've had several through the years but this is my go to girl, now.

gibson2.jpg

Last edited:
Mostly I stick to blues and bluegrass for playing, and don't keep a large number of guitars, just a Pono D30 (spruce and rosewood) an Epiphone SG special in addition to the Blueridge.

Is that a J45? It's a beautiful guitar, I love the fretboard.

@sixer9682 the Hog is a Southern Jumbo, just a j-45 with some bling. The wood on your Pono is incredible. That guitar is very similar to my other Gibson, the blonde AJ below, although I think the grain on yours has the edge.

I'm a blues guy too, wish I had the speed/talent to do some decent bluegrass flatpicking.

aj1.jpg
aj2.jpg
aj3.jpg
aj4.jpg
aj5.jpg

That AJ is a beautiful guitar.
I don't know how Pono gets wood with grain like that, but it does stand out. The funny thing is, mine is bland next to some others I've seen. I'll try to find those pictures for you.

@sixer9682 excellent tone. very articulate mid-range and definite mellow rosewood overtones. if he didn't state he was using ej-17's i would swear he was playing nanowebs because the highs aren't overly bright. you've got a good guitar there.

Back