Cables 'n shit

boondokk

BANNED
BANNED
Hey guys. I'm going to be putting together a REAL home theater by myself in the basement over the next month or so and that means one thing: cables. I am going to be needing lots of lots of cable in the near future. Anyone know of a good place that sells cables for cheap? I'm going to be needing speaker wiring, RCA cabling, Cat6e cabling, and HDMI cabling. I've already wired the room for power and the data jacks are sitting there empty at this time.

So my REAL question is: anyone know a good website that sells good cabling for cheap?

Ebay :-D

I've bought quite a few cheap-ass cables - SATA, DVI-DVI, 4-molex-power, headphone extension, Coaxial (100 feet roll) etc., from all kinds of people over the last couple of years and they've all been good quality and never had a problem.

Buy from reputable sellers if on ebay.

Some of the bigger sellers also have web frontends with even cheaper prices (usually same as their username...).

Monoprice...but like Roth posted in another forum, a good HDMI cable is a world of difference. I just built my HTPC and everything turned out great...love it, and I'm sure you will.

could always look at newegg too, i know theyve got long hdmi cables for relatively cheap

[quote1245283221=Boondokk]
Hey guys. I'm going to be putting together a REAL home theater by myself in the basement over the next month or so and that means one thing: cables. I am going to be needing lots of lots of cable in the near future. Anyone know of a good place that sells cables for cheap? I'm going to be needing speaker wiring, RCA cabling, Cat6e cabling, and HDMI cabling. I've already wired the room for power and the data jacks are sitting there empty at this time.

So my REAL question is: anyone know a good website that sells good cabling for cheap?
[/quote1245283221]
hey let me know what you need may be able to get you some of the stuff for free just pay for shipping

the greater resolutions you plan on running, get better hdmi. do-not-buy the $3 special. do-not-buy the $100 3-ft cable either.

look at a few factors: cable length, the actual source (HD cable vs HD directv), resolution, and overall screen size.

the better each one of those are, the better HDMI you should buy. picture the $3 as a two lane highway and the $60 as a 8 lane highway. also, the crazy over-the-top monster series like 1000's are guaranteed to support every possible broadcast level out there, meaning 12 bit color, resolutions over 1080p (mainly professional projectors), 120/240/600hz, 12+ gbps of data (blu-ray), and more.

i make RCA type cables out of RG-6 so quality isnt a huge issue, again dont use $3 tho. optical, look for virgin polymers. recycled can cause transmission problems. cat5/6e, what ever works. speaker wire, only buy the AWG that matches your speakers/reciever terminals. so... dont buy 8ga if the speakers are 14ga.

skywalker.com is a great distributor but i think you have to be a dealer.. sorry if that doesnt work.

ill follow up on the thread, so i might add more.

Skywalker? Isn't that the guy that also sells lightsabers and shit?

lulz.

But seriously... what a choice for a name :-D I guess it helps you remember :-/

[quote1245365250=roth140]
the greater resolutions you plan on running, get better hdmi. do-not-buy the $3 special. do-not-buy the $100 3-ft cable either.

look at a few factors: cable length, the actual source (HD cable vs HD directv), resolution, and overall screen size.

the better each one of those are, the better HDMI you should buy. picture the $3 as a two lane highway and the $60 as a 8 lane highway. also, the crazy over-the-top monster series like 1000's are guaranteed to support every possible broadcast level out there, meaning 12 bit color, resolutions over 1080p (mainly professional projectors), 120/240/600hz, 12+ gbps of data (blu-ray), and more.

i make RCA type cables out of RG-6 so quality isnt a huge issue, again dont use $3 tho. optical, look for virgin polymers. recycled can cause transmission problems. cat5/6e, what ever works. speaker wire, only buy the AWG that matches your speakers/reciever terminals. so... dont buy 8ga if the speakers are 14ga.

skywalker.com is a great distributor but i think you have to be a dealer.. sorry if that doesnt work.

ill follow up on the thread, so i might add more.

[/quote1245365250]

Thanks for the school lesson Roth. I'm new to the HDMI and DVI cables so I just saw the 3 $$ one and said what a deal....lol.

np, if you are doing hdmi switching you want decent cables too. some cheaper cables fail. out of the box directv hdmi failed to pass hdmi switching through a harmon/kardon 7.1 but the monster worked.

it sucks to have something small like that make the whole system snag.

Thanks. I am not looking for ultra cheap cables, like dollar store brand. I was just looking for well-rounded cables at a price that isn't a total and utter ripoff like the dept. stores around here.

Scan is really good (like the UK newegg pretty much) but it's for the UK. They'll charge you more than an arm and a leg for shipping to the US (if you can even do that).

Back